Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 18: “Homecoming”

Cast of New Characters (for this episode)

Talon Prescott: arresting appearance, tall, early 30’s, fit, five o’clock shadow, bespectacled, blue eyes, strawberry blond, seductively confident

Jet’s “Look What You’ve Done” opens this episode, playing over the following significant three montages:

Nathan lies in his bed, his body spread over the sheets, his hands reaching for the pills and liquor sitting on the bed stand. His hand fumbles for these items and inadvertently knocks over a photo of him and Brendon together. The frame hits the floor and the glass shatters. His splitting headache illogically leads him into a brief shouting rage with no spectators to hear the wounded frustration in his voice.

Chloe stands near a sunlit window, bawling her eyes out as she contemplates the disaster she has made of both her life and that of Allison, who stands behind her several feet away. She turns around to see Allison, who stares at her with a pained expression of sorrow resting in her eyes. Chloe stands frozen, desirous to go to her partner and launch into an explanation but also terrified of the consequences of her actions. As she reaches out for her, Allison coldly turns away and leaves the room.

Rodrigo sits at the table in his apartment room, surveying the pile of autographed novels before him. These were his greatest possessions besides the briefcase that lay on the floor. He thought fondly of Callum Sutcliffe and all that he had done for him. He then flips on the television screen, hoping to see the news that he had anticipated seeing all day. At last the coverage began, and the broadcasters showed images of Tristan Bersani’s beaten and bloodied body being pulled from the Los Angeles River…

FORTY-EIGHT HOURS EARLIER…

The safe return of kidnapped little Edward did not come without its fair share of turmoil for its inept orchestrators. The plan should have gone off without a hitch, but as other people became unwittingly embroiled in its play-out, their lives would be irrevocably changed, starting with Vittoria Morelli.

It had been fifteen minutes since she had ended her unplanned rendezvous with Brendon, the outcome of which had been her foolishly agreeing to his last demand. Her internal battle thus began. I couldn’t tell Brendon that Callum is also blackmailing me with the crowbar and the gun, besides Brendon doesn’t know about my involvement in the second attack in the park, and if he did, he’d use that as further blackmail. But Callum has held his end of the deal. He’s got me legal representation and pays for all my living expenses. How could I repay him with murder? But Brendon knows how to reach Mickey Giordano, and he’ll go after all my family. I can’t let that happen! I have to get rid of Callum for Brendon. I know Brendon will keep his word just like Justin said he would keep his word.

During this inner monologue, Vittoria’s cell phone rang. It was Tristan’s number showing on the caller ID feature. What does he want? He finally came clean to her about his involvement in the kidnapping—despite her already knowing about it through Estrella—and needed her to deliver the baby to a designated location upon acceptance of the ransom. Oh, great, not only am I contemplating murder again but now I’m also involved in conspiratorial kidnapping! She foolishly agreed to it after Tristan promised her a cut of the money.

Her stomach growled. I’ll go home and have something to eat before doing this job. I wonder what that fairy Heath has prepared for dinner. He really is a dynamic cook. Why Kyle let him go is beyond me.

KYLE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Kyle looked and felt awful. I can’t believe Heath would do this to me. What did I do to deserve this? There was no more booze left in the house, and he was tempted to go to the nearest liquor store to replenish his supply. He got up and looked at himself in the bathroom mirror. His beard seemed to be growing at a rate of its own. Maybe my appearance turned him away. Perhaps some nice fresh air would help me to clear my head. He decided he wanted to run near Griffith Park. What he didn’t expect was to run into the last person he would ever want to see.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Callum had received the call that set his heart calm. While the voice was spooky—he knew it was an engineered sound—the message it told was one of relief and cause for joy. The kidnapper had received the ransom, and Edward would be returned within the hour at a church in West Los Angeles. He immediately had a car brought around; Inga hopped into it, and was on her way to the location to retrieve Edward. That had been nearly half an hour ago. Presently, Godfrey walked into the room.

Godfrey (holding the ransom note): I’m convinced this was an “inside job” done by someone who knew about Edward’s paternity?

Callum: Yes, they knew I was rich and asked for a hefty ransom.

Godfrey: No, they knew of his biological paternity. In your weakened state of mind, you indubitably overlooked the nuances of the threats issued in this note. Look at the allusions he makes: “a real father’s duty… the nature of flesh and blood.” These phrases—however poetic they may be—don’t show up in normal ransom notes.

Callum: Why are we having this conversation? We should be celebrating. Edward will be home soon.

Godfrey: I’m afraid it may be a short-lived celebration if my suspicions are correct.

Callum paid the matter no further attention, for at that moment he received a call from Inga. Edward was safe and back on his way home. By week’s end, Callum would have wished he had paid more attention to Godfrey’s warning.

ATWATER VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES RIVERWALK/BICYCLE PATH, DUSK

Tristan had arrived at the location an hour before the drop-off was to happen. He looked out for any signs of cops. He had purposely chosen this location because of its openness, and the interesting fact that the Los Angeles River flows through a concrete channel. He was wearing all black, blending in with his dark surroundings. After an hour’s time, Tristan began to grow antsy. Both Estrella and Vittoria had been given their orders. It was then that he saw someone run down the riverwalk and casually drop what appeared to be a briefcase onto the concrete fixture.

Tristan waited another half hour before running over, darting onto the concrete bank, and scooping up the briefcase. He took a quick moment to look inside, seeing the welcoming face of Benjamin Franklin. There were stacks of notes inside, and he figured it would easily amount to the requested one million. Surveying his surroundings for the umpteenth time and seeing no one, he rushed back onto the bicycle path and pulled out the temporary-use cell phone he had just purchased at a nearby electronics store. He also pulled out the voice disguiser, dialed Callum’s number, and spoke the words he knew Callum would want to hear.

He next called Vittoria and told her where to drop the baby. Upon doing all this, Tristan felt free yet pleasantly weighted down by the million dollars. And best of all, there was no one around! He started to rush back to his car, crossing a popular running trail when he slammed into a runner. The briefcase hit the ground in tune with the runner’s angered tone.

Kyle: Watch where you’re going!

Tristan: You, too, buddy!

Kyle (recognizing the voice): Tristan, is that you?

Tristan: Kyle?

Kyle (instantly punching him and knocking him to the ground): You son-of-a-bitch!

Tristan (picking himself up and wiping blood from his mouth): I’m not looking for trouble, Kyle, and as far as I’m concerned, this is police brutality.

Kyle (aggressively nearing him): I’ll show you police brutality.

Tristan (defensively sticking out hands): Look, I-I know that you’re upset, but this isn’t the way to cope with it.

Kyle: So you’re a fucking shrink now?

Tristan: Well, I know you shouldn’t react with violence like you did with Heath. I saw where you hit him. He’ll swear to me that you didn’t, but I know he’s covering for you. I wanted to rip you limb from limb.

Kyle: How chivalrous of you, but that doesn’t change the fact you’re a complete disgrace for a human being. What he saw in you I’ll never—

Tristan: What he saw in me was someone who would give him the time of day.

Kyle: Don’t you dare defend your actions to me. You took advantage of a poor soul.

Tristan: So now he’s a poor soul?

Kyle: Well, he finally got you so he should be happy now. By the way, where is he? (looking around) Does he know you’re here? What are you doing here anyway? You’re certainly not running in those dark pants. Are you fucking around with someone?

Tristan: It’s none of your damn business!

Kyle: It is if it involves Heath. I’m not going to idly stand by and watch you emotionally fuck up his life.

Tristan: Seems like you did a bang-up job of that already…otherwise he wouldn’t have turned to me.

Kyle (throwing Tristan another hard punch, sending him to the ground again): I could kill you, Tristan, but that would only hurt Heath. Besides, it would be a waste of a bullet. (kicking him hard in the side, Tristan reactively clutching his ribs) If you do anything that hurts him, I give you my God-honest word I will kill you, Tristan.

Kyle then started to walk off, and Tristan, still clutching his sore torso, rose from the ground and grabbed the suitcase. At least he didn’t take the money. I’ll go home and ice myself. Little did he know he would not make it home that night.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, THE NEXT MORNING

Callum rose at the break of dawn, newly energized with the safe return of his son. With that dilemma out the way, he would focus his attention on the matters which he had neglected—Allison, Brendon, Vittoria, and the list went on and on from there. As he was about to leave the house at seven, he was met with Peyton greeting him at the door.

Peyton: Good morning, Callum. I heard that Edward is safely home. I was wondering if I could—uh—well, possibly see him.

Callum: Sure, come inside. I was just on my way out, but allow me to get Inga for you. I heard Edward crying this morning, and then I heard her speak to him in Swedish, which apparently calms him. (he calls for Inga)

Peyton: Guess I should check if they teach Swedish at UCLA. By the way, do you know who took him?

Callum: No, I haven’t the faintest clue. I’m out a cool million, but he’s now home safe and sound.

Peyton: I’m sure you’ll have much explaining to do to the police and the media.

Callum: Yeah, I know, but what matters most is that he’s here where he belongs. Where the hell is Inga? Hold on a minute. Owww! (tripping over the mini carriage on the floor) One would think with the salary I pay her, she’d pick up after herself.

Peyton (bending down to pick up the carriage): I’m sure everyone’s too relieved to be thinking of cleanliness (his speech halted, his eyes bulging at their sockets) W-Was this what he was returned in?

Callum: Yes, it was.

Peyton (holding up a scarf): And was this found with him?

Callum: Why, yes, whoever had him had gone through the trouble of wrapping him in a Hermès scarf.

Peyton (suddenly stiff and dropping the scarf on the floor): Ar-Are you sure?

Callum: I would imagine with you being a connoisseur of high-end fashion, you would recognize the Hermès brand. Apparently, it was a kidnapper with good tastes.

All it had taken was for Callum to say that French name in connection with the scarf for him to realize that Chloe had been the one who had taken the baby. She always wore these scarves. I even think she was wearing it on Friday evening when she had that scene at Fancy’s where she thought that Edward was her baby. Oh my God! She’s completely lost it.

Callum: What’s wrong, Peyton? You look as if you’ve seen a ghost. Oh, here’s Inga with Edward. I trust you all will behave yourselves in my absence. I’ll be back in a few hours.

He quickly left the house and drove over to Hollywood Hospital, heading straight for Justin Roberts’ room once he got there. He pushed right into the room, not caring if Justin were asleep or not.

Callum (loudly): We need to talk about Nathan.

Justin: What about him?

Callum: For starters, the fact that your lies have nearly cost him everything.

Justin: Well, it’s the truth!

Callum: That’s bollocks and you know it! I must admit, though, that your little exaggeration has caused quite the rift between Brendon and Nathan. I couldn’t have done it better myself, but you’ve really gone too far.

Justin: Look, Callum, this is between me, my father, and Nathan, who’s just as guilty as Brendon. He knew all along that Brendon was my father.

Callum: So you plan on punishing them both?

Justin: You’re damn right I am!

Callum: Allow me to make a suggestion. Just murder your father and be done with it.

Justin: You’re not calling the shots anymore, Callum. I am.

Callum: Pardon me?

Justin: You heard me. I’m not taking any shit from anyone, most of all you.

Callum: I never lied to you, unlike your entire family. It’s best that you come to recognize me as a friend. I guarantee you don’t want me as your enemy.

Justin: You can either leave now, or I’ll call security.

Callum (coming up to him): You do realize that your own father doesn’t really believe this cockamamie story you’re telling. Its only value is being sensationalist drivel that sells tabloids.

Justin: Do you think I care? After I’m finished with Nathan, I’m going after Brendon.

Callum (turning to leave): Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

In the hallway, Callum appeared somewhat crestfallen at his inability to budge Justin’s resolve. I only wanted the little bastard to do away with his father Oedipus-style, not drag Nathan into this. I’ve got bigger issues to deal with, but as I’m already here perhaps the Father of the Year could help me.

MEANWHILE IN BRENDON ROBERTS’ HOSPITAL ROOM, HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL

Brendon: What the hell were you thinking?

Austin: No matter how much you disagree with me, I’m doing what I feel is right.

Brendon: By trying to divide this club?

Austin: I don’t expect you to fully understand, especially as you’re going through a family crisis.

Brendon: Don’t bring Nathan into this!

Austin: He’s already a part of it. In case you forgot, he’s the president of Outrunners, and well, this scandal only looks bad for the club. However, it has fueled my campaign since no one wants an alleged pedophile as a leader.

Brendon: Do not go through with this, Austin.

Austin: Look, Brendon, all the time you were incapacitated, Nate was named acting president… and that’s still his title as you’re still in that wheelchair so you technically have no say in the matter until you are reinstated as president. But I would imagine that Nathan would do the sensible thing right now and step down. In fact, I’m sure a hefty percentage of the club is expecting him to do so.

Brendon: Allison is vice-president. She can assume presidential duties until—

Austin (cutting him off): No one has seen or heard from her in days. Flakiness seems to be yet another virtue of this club’s leadership.

Brendon (urgently): I’ll find her. (pause) This is absolutely bogus! I admit that I don’t know you well, Austin, but once I read your email, I knew who I was dealing with.

Austin: is that an indirect jab at my political standing with the GOP?

Brendon: I heard what you did back in Boston with the Outrunners chapter there. Your ultraconservative tyranny nearly crippled them.

Austin: Tyranny? That’s rich coming from your mouth! I may have been here only a few months, but what I’ve witnessed in the past few days of your club’s leadership and morality makes me question everything about—

Brendon: What the hell are you implying? I’ve told you to leave Nathan out of this! He’s a good man, and he doesn’t deserve your slandering.

Austin: Oh, wow, Brendon, that’s the very first real remark you’ve made about Nathan regarding these outlandish allegations. You pretty much threw him to the wolves.

Brendon: How dare you—

Austin: You allowed him to get lambasted in the press. I’m sure the media wanted your opinion, but you kept quiet. You know Drake and I are a real couple. We don’t keep secrets from each other. We stand by each other unlike—

Brendon: Look, I don’t need to hear any more of your garbage. I love Nathan, and I don’t need to prove that to you or anyone else.

Austin (laughing): Love him? Is that so? Well, you have a funny way of showing it. But now that I think of it, the majority of this club doesn’t know the real meaning of the word… what with all the lies, infidelity. etc.

Brendon: Go away! We’ll settle this matter with the election. I’m confident that I’ll defeat you.

Austin: Fine by me! As long as you don’t have the results rigged, but then again cheating is what you guys do best, whether it be using illegal substances or flat-out cheating with another person in plain view.

Brendon: I don’t know what you’re insinuating, but this little planned coup of yours won’t happen.

Austin: It already has! I’m just a few signatures short of the amount needed to call a special election. I’ll get the rest, especially once the news hits about yet another one of your unscrupulous members.

Brendon: I may not be able to take you on in this wheelchair, but Allison’s no spring chicken. She’ll have you for breakfast.

Austin: Well, Allison already has enough baggage to deal with, and from the looks of it, her “gal” is only going to cause her more anguish.

Brendon: That’s cold of you, taking a potshot at Chloe like that. The woman just lost her child. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were related to Callum.

Callum (entering the room): Did someone just say my name?

Brendon: Austin was just about to take his leave—along with you. (to Austin) I will not have you slandering any of my members, especially Chloe.

Austin (leaving the room): Well, take my word, she’s not as innocent as she seems.

Brendon (to Callum): You can go as well. I have nothing to say to you.

Callum: It’s no surprise. I wish not to indulge in conversation with you.

Brendon: Then why are you here?

Callum: To celebrate my triumph. I’m sure you heard the good news that my son was safely returned.

Brendon: Well, good for you. Now leave!

Callum: And I wanted to thank you for handing Nathan over to me on a silver platter. Siding with Justin only drove him closer into my arms… and now I think all three of us—Nathan, Edward, and me—can all become the family that Nathan wanted to have with you. He’s quite fond of my son, Edward. (pause) Oh, I see I’ve overstayed my welcome. (seeing the fuming face of Brendon) Ciao!

With those parting words, Callum took his leave of both Brendon’s room and the hospital. He went to the nearest Starbucks to have some tea before heading back home, surprised to find Peyton’s car still in the driveway. He found him inside still visiting Edward, Callum instantly noticing how Inga had a sour expression on her face. He would later learn it had been the direct result of Peyton monopolizing all the time with the baby.

Callum (silently sending Inga away from the room): Shouldn’t you be at work, Peyton?

Peyton: I called my secretary and told her to cancel all my appointments. I wanted to spend some time with my son.

Callum: I beg your pardon.

Peyton (holding the baby up to his face): Doesn’t he look like me? Actually, he looks more like my dad.

Callum: Peyton, he’s not your son in the legal sense.

Peyton: I-I know. It’s just that ever since I found out about him, I’ve been thinking about my life and its purpose, and—

Callum (coming to him, gesturing for the baby to be given to him): Look, Peyton, I really appreciate all the support you gave during his abduction, but you promised me that—

Peyton: Yes, I know I did. I’m not going to tell anyone that I’m his real father. All I ask is that you give me some time with him. We had a very good morning of fun—(touching the baby’s finger) Didn’t we, Big Guy?

Callum (awkwardly looking at Peyton’s nickname for Edward): You haven’t looked at his penis, have you?

Peyton: I changed him an hour ago. (winking) He’s definitely an Ashland.

Callum: I shan’t dignify that with a response.

At that moment, Godfrey entered the room to announce that Detective Jack Milton was outside and wanted to speak with the both of them.

Callum: Both of us?

Godfrey: I’m assuming that he recognized Dr. Ashland’s car outside. Should I let him know you’re not seeing any visitors?

Callum: Lying for me won’t be necessary. (noticing the panic on Peyton’s face) I’ll handle him. Would you have Inga come for Edward?

Minutes later, Milton came into the room, amused to see them.

Milton: Just the two men I wanted to see.

Callum: Please take a seat, Detective Milton. What brings you here today?

Milton (gesturing to Peyton): Well, I already paid the good doctor a visit. I was both surprised and expecting to find him here, given your relationship.

Callum: I don’t quite follow.

Milton: I’m referring to the sex DVD you and Dr. Ashland made… the one that Dr. Allison Trudeau had in her office this past weekend.

Callum: Detective, this is southern California. We’re just a few miles from Porn Valley. Surely you’ve seen sex tapes before, and they’re hardly illegal.

Milton: You are aware that such evidence as a sex DVD could be used against Dr. Ashland.

Callum (histrionically putting a finger to his mouth and tilting his head): Come to think of it, I believe Allison said such to me… that you were accusing her of blackmailing Dr. Ashland.

Milton: That brings forth a crucial question. When was the last time either of you saw Dr. Trudeau?

Peyton: I-I haven’t seen her in several days.

Callum: I suppose it was Saturday when I last saw her. Why do you ask?

Milton: I suspect she’s gone missing. Her partner Ms. Dalton was unaware of her whereabouts this past Sunday, and none of the staff and hospital doctors have seen her.

Callum: Maybe she’s crawled back under the rock from which she came.

Milton (turning to Peyton): Dr. Ashland, I’m fairly certain she’s threatened you with this DVD. Have you attempted to silence her for the second time?

Peyton (taken aback): What the hell?

Milton: It strikes me more than a coincidence that Dr. Trudeau shows up missing shortly after I confront her about blackmailing you. At first, I thought maybe she had left town, trying to evade the law, but then I saw your reaction when I had told you that I had seen a DVD at her office.

Callum: What the bloody hell are you hinting at?

Milton: I suspect foul play of the both of you.

Callum: I beg your pardon. How dare you drag my name into this!

Milton: I’ve been informed of your own personal vendetta with Dr. Trudeau. She did attack you, and we have it on record that you had threatened her life. Add to that the possibility you and Dr. Ashland here are romantically linked. You both have motives for wanting to get rid of her.

Callum (rising): I think you should leave, Detective. I shall not accept this treatment in my own home. You can expect to hear from my attorney, Estrella Tartaro.

Milton: Funny! You’re the second suspect to reference her as their attorney. Ms. Vittoria Morelli has retained her services as well. Ms. Tartaro must make a “killing” off all her legal fees.

Callum: I’ll see you to the door, Detective. (coming back into the room after a few minutes) The gall of that man, accusing me of such rubbish! (grasping the scarf) Why, if I could get away with it, I’d strangle him—

Peyton: Careful, I don’t think Chloe would want you using her scarf to kill someone.

Callum (stunned): Excuse me?

Peyton (realizing his error): I-I just don’t want you to say or do anything crazy.

Callum: You just said this was Chloe’s scarf? (coming up to him) What are you not telling me?

It was then that Callum’s mind rushed back to his last encounter with Brendon earlier that day. He had run into Austin Monroe, who had said something along the lines of Chloe not being as she seemed. What did he mean by that? And what does Peyton know about this? Could Chloe have taken Edward?

Peyton: Look, Callum, I just saw the scarf, and it looks like the ones that Chloe wears. That’s all I meant.

Callum: You had better not be lying to me, Peyton. Listen, there’s no need to worry about Milton. I’ll handle him. You just keep quiet about everything! I’ve got to run an errand. I’ll be back soon.

He left the house, got into his car, and drove all the way over to Estrella’s home where he was met with the most shocking surprise since Edward’s abduction. He saw Chloe come out the house, followed by Estrella, before they got in Chloe’s car together. What the hell was Chloe doing there with Estrella? How do they know each other? She’s definitely up to something. Godfrey had insinuated Chloe as the possible suspect in the kidnapping, but I had rebuffed him, saying that Chloe wouldn’t easily return the baby, and in her fragile mental state, there’s no way she could have carried out this scheme. Yet she’s now colluding with Estrella of all people. This doesn’t smell right. And where are they going? Chloe looks to be an absolute wreck. I’ll just follow them and get to the bottom of this!

RODRIGO’S HOME, HOLLYWOOD

Rodrigo looked at the briefcase before him. He had sifted through its contents three times already, and each time he got the same mythical figure: $1 million. That bastard was definitely the kidnapper. They should be dragging his body from the river any time or day now. It was fortunate that I had followed him all day after I spied him with that voice disguiser and calling Mr. Sutcliffe. It was even more fortuitous that the guy was body-slammed by someone else just minutes before I had my own go at him. The nerve of that bastard to steal Mr. Sutcliffe’s baby and try to capitalize on his pain! Well, I took care of him all right. He didn’t see those blows coming. I bet he didn’t feel a thing when I threw his body into the water. It serves him right for what he did. I’m sure Mr. Sutcliffe will be very proud of me.

ESTRELLA’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS

Last night had completely drained Estrella of most her energy. In preparation for the return of the baby, she had to calm Chloe down. After putting the baby down for his evening rest, she and Tristan had spiked Chloe’s drink so that she would be asleep by the time they took the baby to the drop-off location. The drugs had done their job fairly well, keeping her knocked out throughout much of the following morning. When she had awakened, Estrella had to work her magic to make Chloe think everything had been just a figment of her imagination.

Chloe (stretching and yawning): What time is it?

Estrella: It’s getting near noontime.

Chloe (jumping up): Oh my! It’s way past time for Jacob’s lunch.

Estrella: Who?

Chloe: The baby.

Estrella: What baby? What are you talking about?

Chloe: Don’t be silly. (going into the other room, finding no sign of the baby) Where is he? (growing more frantic) Where’s my baby?

Estrella (coming to her): Honey, I think you may have had another nightmare.

Chloe: What are you talking about? Where is my baby? (violently grabbing Estrella’s arm) Where is he?

Estrella (having shrieked from Chloe’s firm grasp): I don’t know what you’re talking about. I haven’t seen any baby.

Chloe: Liar! (going through the house, looking for the baby or any evidence of his having been there. Not finding any, she comes back into the room) He’s not here.

Estrella: That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. There is no baby.

Chloe (angrily): I’m going home now. He must be there. (dashing to the door, rushing outside, and heading for her car)

Estrella (throwing herself in front of Chloe’s car): You can’t go driving anywhere in your condition. I’ll drive you there so you can see for yourself that there’s no baby.

They drove from Beverly Hills to Los Feliz, which was a rather considerable drive, given the always unpredictable traffic of Los Angeles. This afforded Estrella time to think. She couldn’t gauge how well the plan was going, but Tristan had said Chloe had thrown a similar fit last Friday when she thought the same baby was hers. She then thought of how she hadn’t heard from Tristan since last night and neither had Vittoria. Has that bastard skipped town with the loot, leaving us to either clean up his mess or take the blame? But right now it’s time to take care of Chloe.

When they got to Chloe’s home, she ransacked the entire place, looking for the baby. It was after twenty minutes of this futile search that she finally broke down.

Chloe (tears streaming down her face): Where is he? Where is my baby? (to Estrella) What have you done with him?

Estrella: What?

Chloe: I went to your house with him, looking for help.

It was then that a chill ran down Estrella’s spine. While Chloe was definitely in a frantic state of mind, if she told anyone that she had brought the baby over to her house, it might arouse suspicion. I’ve got to get that thought out her head. But how? There’s only one way, and that’s what landed me in this mess.

Robyn’s “Who’s That Girl?” begins playing in the scene’s background.

Estrella (seductively approaching her): Honey, you came to my place all by yourself. You didn’t come for help. You came to see just me.

Estrella reached out for Chloe, gently taking both her arms and moving her closer in for a sweet, tender kiss that seemed to calm the hysterical woman. Chloe at first resisted this scheme, trying to break free from Estrella’s grip, but it was the eventual warmth of the embrace and the kiss that pacified her. This was only the second time that Chloe could recall experiencing this intimacy with Estrella, and her body longed for an encore. Her hands traveled to Estrella’s face, cradling it as their lips and mouths continued with their energized play.

Chloe felt herself fall back onto the soft cushioning of the front room couch as Estrella moved further upon her, an excited gloss in her eyes. Feeling Estrella’s mouth progress upon other parts of her, Chloe surrendered to the heat emanating from her body as it fused with that given off from Estrella, whose red lipstick was already leaving imprints upon Chloe’s porcelain skin. She then felt Estrella’s lively fingers unbutton her blouse and adroitly free her breasts from the brassiere, her pert nipples an instant target for Estrella’s seemingly hungry mouth. It was with her breast being suckled that Chloe’s lips curled to release a moan that even frightened herself as it was a sound semi-foreign to her—not having made it herself in a long time.

Estrella continued with her mission, raising Chloe’s lithe body so that she could free her lower body of her jeans to expose the silken panties that lie under them. Her legs were then caressed with Estrella’s lips and hands, sending tingling sensations throughout Chloe’s body as she laid her head against the couch pillows. She had fully forgotten her present qualms, giving herself entirely over to this moment of forbidden pleasure as she sensed this woman’s mouth journeying downward to her most sensitive area. Chloe already felt the increasing moisture of her inner thighs, but it was Estrella’s clever tongue, hands, and fingers that threatened to drive her over the brink of sensual stimulation. It was when her mouth latched firmly onto Chloe’s erogenous zone that her eyes rolled back in their sockets as the woman’s tongue at last stirred the hypersensitive nerves of her clitoris, sending a jolt of electricity throughout her body that resulted in her unleashing a thunderous moan of orgasmic delivery. It was when her body finished its last writhing display of pleasurable release that Chloe turned her head on the pillow and opened her eyes to the astonished expressions of two unforeseen spectators.

Allison and Callum had just interrupted their illicit escapade.

NATHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Nathan looked at himself in the mirror. He hadn’t gotten much sleep. He wanted to reach out to Brendon but knew he would get the cold shoulder from him. How could he just throw what we had away? His mind raced over to Callum. He wanted to likewise see him. That kiss last night was so wrong. I completely understand Callum’s reaction. He needed to focus on his son. I shouldn’t have done it. Oh, I hope he doesn’t take me for an inappropriate cad, taking advantage of him during his ordeal. I just need to be with someone.

He opened the medicine cabinet and debated about which painkiller to take—not that he had any physical pain but he desired to feel numb—at least then the tumult of his life wouldn’t feel so overwhelming. How did it come to this? My reputation is slandered, my partner doubts my morals, and members of my own athletic club are trying to bring me down. I don’t know what to do anymore. Allison is nowhere to be found. I’m all alone in this!

He got the call an hour later. By that point, the drugs had started to take effect so his consciousness wasn’t exactly thinking clearly. It had definitely been Brendon’s voice, and he sounded as if he were in deep emotion. He had said something about wanting to set things straight between them. Or had that been Nathan’s imagination?

MEANWHILE IN LOS FELIZ, ALLISON’S HOME

Callum had waited outside in his car for half an hour. What the hell was Estrella doing with Chloe? Having grown tired of waiting, he got out the car and was crossing the street when a cab pulled up outside the house. Callum had reached the midway point to the front door, when he heard the voice he so desperately didn’t want to hear.

Allison: What the hell are you doing here?

Callum (spinning around): Welcome back, Allison. Was Britain to your liking? Our livestock had pretty much recovered from the last bout of mad cow disease you spawned.

Allison: So you knew I was there?

Callum: Yes, I know about your little covert trip.

Allison: I bet you’re shaking in your boots over what I’ve discovered.

Callum: What exactly do you think you know?

Allison (laughing): I know I finally have the means to get rid of you.

Callum: Good luck with that endeavor. One need only look at your track record to inspire fear in me. You haven’t anything against me, Allison.

Allison: I got plenty of ammunition from your homeland.

Callum: T’is pity you didn’t get fatal food poisoning along with it.

Allison: Would you mind leaving this property? Why the hell are you here anyway? It sure as hell wasn’t to give me homecoming greetings.

Callum: No, I believe that’s your crazed partner’s task when she’s not stealing other people’s babies.

Allison: You’re still upset over that incident at Fancy’s last week? Get over it!

Callum: No wonder Chloe moved onto full-blown kidnapping. You obviously cut her from the leash. You haven’t heard that my son was kidnapped, and ransom was demanded. (seeing the worried look in Allison’s face) No worries! Edward was returned to me, but I have begun to seriously think your girl and her partner-in-crime—

Allison: What the hell are you talking about? (inserting the key into the lock)

Callum: I know they’re both behind this! (Allison pushes into the door, entering the house)

Allison: Behind what… the hell… Chloe?

Both Allison and Callum stood transfixed in the wide doorway, staring in disbelief at the tableau before their eyes, Chloe languorously spread out on the couch with Estrella’s head positioned between her legs. It was Chloe who first took notice of their presence after coming off some intoxicated high that had gripped her body.

Chloe: Allison?

With Chloe’s utterance of her partner’s name, Estrella straight away composed herself, rising from the couch and adjusting her clothing. She bent down to retrieve Chloe’s garments from the floor, Chloe’s nudity a biblical allusion to their guilt.

Allison (shouting): What the hell is going on here?

Callum (directed at Chloe and Estrella): It appears we arrived in the “lick of time.”

Allison: Get the hell out my house!

Callum: Allison, I would never have pegged your partner for adultery. It appears she needs to be “licked into shape.”

Fury seething through her body, Allison sprang for Callum, her hands grabbing his neck and slamming him into the wall. It was at this precise moment that Estrella took the opportunity to dash for the door, but her speed was no match for Allison’s wrathful determination. By the time she had reached the doorway, Estrella’s face was met with the stinging blow of Allison’s hand that sent the woman flying to the floor. Callum pried himself from Allison’s grip seconds before she rushed over to Chloe, whose naked body appeared to be in a lethargic and drugged state.

Allison: Chloe! Wake up! What happened?

Estrella swiftly rose from the floor and scrambled for the door, anxious to avoid any more displays of Allison’s anger. She brushed past Callum in her bare feet, leaving behind her expensive Prada shoes that lay at the base of the couch. Callum took one more moment to look at the scene before him, Allison standing over a comatose-like Chloe, trying to awaken her from the torpor that had stole over her.

Turning away, Callum left that wreck to go home to another one. He entered his own home to be confronted by Godfrey, who duly informed him that he had a visitor, and judging from Godfrey’s reaction, this one was far worse than Rodrigo.

Godfrey: I can’t believe you invited him here.

Callum: Who?

Godfrey: Mr. Prescott.

A surname was all that was needed to stab fear into Callum. His entire demeanor visibly changed.

Callum: I-I didn’t invite him. I haven’t seen him in ages.

Godfrey: Well, he claims he’s been in contact with you.

Callum (looking Godfrey directly in the eyes): There’s a modicum of truth to what he’s saying. He did leave me some messages.

Godfrey: Was he the one who’s been calling you? (sighing heavily) I can’t believe this. He’s too close to the truth. You must “handle” him.

Callum (flushed): I know. Is he in the sitting room?

Upon Godfrey’s nod, Callum entered the sitting room to find a gentleman standing with his back to him. He was wearing a three-piece suit and sported a glass of scotch in his left hand. His voice spoke without having seen Callum, and within that moment, Callum felt weakness in his knees. It was the first time he had heard that voice coming from the flesh—and not just some disembodied message from his answering machine.

Lenny Kravitz’s “Again” begins playing with the background of the scene:

Talon (turning around to face Callum): It’s so good to see you after all this time. It feels like home being this near you.

Callum (brusquely): What the hell are you doing here?

Talon: Well, it’s been nearly a year since Gavin died, and I felt it an appropriate time to—

Callum: To what? Come back into my life?

Talon: And hopefully your heart.

Callum: Talon, that ship has sailed. You know I chose Gavin.

Talon: But you loved me.

Callum (dismissively): Again, I ask what are you doing here? How did you find me?

Talon: I recently accepted a curatorial position here in America.

Callum: What? Where? I thought you were working at The British Museum.

Talon: They put me on loan to the Getty.

Callum: Oh no!

Talon: What? Is something wrong? Or were you really expecting me to have stolen the Warren Cup for your own personal collection?

Callum (cracking a smile): You remembered?

Talon (sitting down): How could I forget? We used to spend all our time together in museums.

Callum: Talon, I can’t do this.

Talon: Do what? We’re just talking. My word, you look alarmed. I thought you ‘d be thrilled to see me.

Callum: Thrilled? Why should I be thrilled? You very nearly cost me my marriage to Gavin.

Talon: You never really loved him like you loved me. We were the ones who were supposed to be together. Everything was fine until he came along.

Callum: We both benefited from my relationship with Gavin.

Talon: Yeah, he published both our works. Yours sells millions of copies, whereas I’d be lucky if I could sell one thousand copies. No one cares for archaeological literature.

Callum: Is it Eleanor? Has she threatened to cease publication of your new book? I can override her. You know I have majority stock in the company.

Talon: Yeah, and they’re doing everything they can to stop you. Eleanor has a legion of solicitors contesting Gavin’s will.

Callum: I’m well aware of that. I may live thousands of miles away, but I still have my “eyes and ears” over there.

Talon: Yeah, and I bet Eleanor has hers over here as well. You did get my messages about that American woman trying to gather information on you at both Somerset House and Armitage & Burnham headquarters?

Callum: How do you know about her?

Talon: She was asking questions about you, and I happened to overhear them. It sounds like she really has a chip on her shoulder, regarding you. What exactly have you been up to?

Callum: Look, I think it best that you return to London. I’ll make some calls to get you a higher position at The Museum or better yet, I can get you on that exclusive archaeological dig in the Mediterranean. You always loved working in that part of the world.

Talon: You’re not getting rid of me that easy, Callum Sutcliffe. (coming closer to him) I’ll only go if you’re coming with me.

Talon’s deep blue eyes enthralled Callum, spurring his desire to run his hands through Talon’s strawberry blonde hair just as he had done several years ago during his first year at Oxford well over a decade ago. All of Talon’s appearance had burned into his memory, his pasty skin that was smooth to the touch, his scruffy beard that added a degree of starkness to his overall stately persona, and his well-built body skillfully concealed underneath his clothing. However, it had always been Talon’s insightful mind that ultimately intrigued Callum.

Talon’s bespectacled countenance inched enticingly closer to Callum’s face, his perfect mouth aiming to seal itself upon his old flame. Callum felt paralyzed in his place, his body unwilling to move as Talon’s saccharine lips made contact with his own, and then he tasted of the sweetness that had long been forsaken. Talon’s hands traveled the length of Callum’s body, the tactile sensation seeming to further melt Callum’s doggedness. It was at the point when Talon’s hands sifted between their bodies, his fingers beginning the task of unbuttoning Callum’s shirt, that Callum pulled himself away in sharp contrast to the protests of his own lips.

Callum: No, I can’t do this. Please go!

Talon: Why? What’s wrong? Is it because the last kiss I gave you was on your wedding day? (pause) And to think you still had the gall to go through with the ceremony. I had flown all the way to Brussels to stop you.

Callum (shouting): I said go!

Talon: You can’t hide your true feelings from me. There’s no one who can keep us apart now. (leaving the room) I’ll be in touch.

That’s what you think! There is someone standing between us, and that happens to be Nathan. Oh why did he have to come back now? He could ruin everything. I have to get him back to Britain. He can’t stay here in Los Angeles!

MEANWHILE… OUTSIDE CALLUM’S HOME

Talon had not made it several yards outside Callum’s front door when his cell phone rang. He answered it promptly. The voice on the other end had begun with a barrage of questions which he attempted to answer sequentially.

Talon: Yes, I’ve made contact with him. (pause) Don’t worry. I can read him like a book. He’s always been vulnerable around me. He still loves me. I’ll take care of him for you, just like I promised.

Hearing these words, Allison terminated the phone call. Despite the overwhelming problems that lay before her with Chloe, she felt reassured that Callum would soon be nothing more than a distant memory.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: