Monday, May 4, 2009

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 28: “Double Departure”

Telepopmusik’s “Breathe” opens this episode over the following montages:

Brendon awakens to find the next issue of the Hollycove Tribune on his doorstep, the edition further continuing the story of his shady dealings. His angered mind ruminates his brief meeting yesterday with Kyle, and he knows that soon Nathan will grow suspicious if he reads any of it. He balls up the paper, goes into the kitchen, sets it on fire, and gets rid of the ashes. Even though the action calms him, he knows that it won’t be long before Nathan would begin asking questions.

Justin awakes thinking of Enid and whether he would ever see her again. Enid likewise thinks the same. Each leaves their rooms to go downstairs in their respective homes, one for nourishment and the other for adventure…

Allison awakens to find Chloe sitting near the window, her mind apparently in deep thought. She’s only there when something’s bothering her. I must find a way to reach her and assure her that everything between us will be fine… that I’ll work on my anger and not allow Callum to get the best of me. Allison rises from the bed and goes over to Chloe, placing a hand on her shoulder, stirring the woman from her reverie before giving her a sweet kiss to start the day.

Kyle awakens thinking of Heath and how tormented he had looked last night when he and Tristan had been arguing over his well-being. Kyle had hated leaving Heath there and then not calling back to check on him. His day had been so hectic, and in the present moment, he felt something was terribly amiss. I know something’s not right with Heath.

Heath felt horrible, having slept alone in his room all night. At dawn, he rises from bed and crosses through the apartment over to Tristan’s room, peaking inside to find him and Talon in bed together, Tristan snuggled next to him, their bodies entwined, Tristan’s olive complexion a marked contrast against Talon’s pasty skin tone. Heath knew all had been lost. In that moment, he wanted to end it all, and then he thought to call the one last person who could possibly save him from this…

TWELVE HOURS EARLIER…

Austin had left Drake home to run a few errands, and Drake had tried calling Priscilla to alert her to his current predicament and that he needed to pay her a visit. He was about to leave his house to speak directly with her when he opened the door, finding the daunting presence of Callum on the other side.

Callum: Drake! Just the person I wanted to see.

Drake (inclined to slam the door): What do you want?

Callum (pushing into the house): It’s about your relationship with Priscilla Ashland. She paid me a visit, throwing accusations at me. I know you’ve been feeding her rubbish.

Drake: What I told her about you is the truth!

Callum: Drake, I know that being Austin’s houseboy is no fun, but you mustn’t pass the time telling these hurtful stories to Priscilla.

Drake: Everyone knows you’re a blackmailer. And for the record, I’m Austin’s husband.

Callum: Your “husband” spends the majority of his time on a campaign to depose Brendon whilst you’re left at home with only your hand for companionship. It’s really pathetic, Drake. And to top it off, you can’t find an age-appropriate fag hag. Let’s be honest. Priscilla Ashland would rather spend the day with a flask of liquor than you.

Drake: You insensitive bastard!

Callum: Now that I think of it, why don’t you, Priscilla, and her bottle of booze get together and have a threesome? After she’s sloshed down its contents, then you could have a go at it… just remember go easy on the bottle and be careful. I wouldn’t want you taken to Hollywood Hospital, where Allison would have to operate on you.

Drake: Callum, you really have a sick, twisted mind, but in any event, I would trust Allison with my life. She knows the right things to do, especially when she tried sending you on your way to hell, pushing you into an open grave! She became my hero that day.

Callum (getting in his face): You’ll need a hero if you persist in spreading lies about me.

Drake: I’m not scared of you, Callum.

Callum: You should be. (turning to go) Carry on with whatever a houseboy—pardon me, husband—does. As always, Drake, It was a pleasure putting you in your place. Ciao!

When he got home, he found Godfrey preparing for his night out, a handsome smile on his face. He was dressed to the nines and was applying pomade to his hair when Callum entered the room.

Callum (dramatically clearing his throat): Am I looking at Sean Connery?

Godfrey: Am I that striking?

Callum (coming over to adjust his tie): You will have Priscilla all over you.

Godfrey: She doesn’t strike me as that type of woman.

Callum: You just have a good time.

Godfrey: And pump her for information?

Callum: Tactfully, of course. Where’s Enid?

Godfrey: I believe she’s in her room. Have you contacted your mother?

Callum: That’s one assignment I wish I could pass to you. I’m sure she’s worried sick over Enid’s latest act of rebellion. How she got into the country is beyond me, but one thing’s for certain, and that’s she’s going back home first thing in the morning. I’ve already purchased the ticket.

Godfrey: You should also know that Mr. Prescott is packed. He left about an hour ago. (noticing Callum’s crestfallen face) It’s for the best. He caused more trouble than he was worth.

Callum: I don’t want to talk about this. I’m going to give Enid a piece of my mind, kiss Edward good night, and lie down. Have a good evening and remember… I want details.

He went to Edward’s room, kissed the baby, and then found Enid’s room locked. Just like the old days. He didn’t have the energy to really strike at the door, and consequently went on to his room to sleep.

KYLE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Kyle had just made it home, having stopped by a fast food restaurant for dinner. He sat down on the couch, flipped on the television to the coverage of the Beijing Olympics and was about to ring Heath when the doorbell rang. It was Bralen, who came inside, his eyes immediately catching the television before Kyle could change the channel.

Bralen: Don’t change it on my part.

Kyle (putting his hands in his pockets): Look, Bralen, I think we need to talk about what happened yesterday.

Bralen: Kyle, I know you have feelings for Heath.

Kyle (adamantly): I love him, Bralen.

Bralen: But he doesn’t love you. Have you forgot what he and Tristan did to you?

Kyle: I know.

Bralen: And you’re willing to forgive him over that?

Kyle: That’s what you do when you love someone.

Bralen: He doesn’t deserve your love.

Kyle: How could you say something like that when you know what he’s been through?

Bralen: Kyle, there are things you don’t know about Heath.

Kyle: Bralen, nothing you can tell me would make me change the way I feel about him.

Bralen (advancing upon him): Come on, Kyle, let’s give “us” a try. See where it might go. I know you enjoyed our fun yesterday.

Kyle (backing away): Bralen, there is no “us.” That was a mistake, and I’m sorry to have led you on.

Bralen: Why are you giving him a second chance when you don’t really know him? He and Tristan were sleeping together behind your back… not to mention what he did to me.

Kyle: I know you’re upset he was sleeping with Tristan when you two were together, but right now I’m not in the mood for this discussion.

Bralen (approaching him): Kyle, I’m sorry. (cautiously placing his hand on Kyle’s shoulder) I just don’t want you to get hurt.

Kyle (sighing): Thanks for looking out for me, but I know that—

Bralen (cutting him off): I’m going to Malibu to clear my head. You have the address if you want to come up. Take care, Kyle. (turns and leaves)

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, ALLISON’S OFFICE

Allison had finished checking her round of patients. She hadn’t heard from Chloe all day since morning. She had sent her a text message at lunch. I’ll catch her at home. Maybe we can go out or have a nice quiet evening at home. She was about to leave her office when Dr. Shoai tapped on her door.

Allison: Kian! I didn’t know you were still here.

Dr. Shoai: I’ve been here all day, trying to finish up some paperwork. I had—uh—wanted to have a word with you.

Allison: Is this about our next meeting?

Dr. Shoai: Y-Yes. (pause) Allison, I was in the cafeteria this morning. I saw everything.

Allison (swallowing the lump in her throat): Kian, I know what it must have looked like.

Dr. Shoai: I saw you strike him both times, the first one sending him over the top of the table.

Allison (defensively): He was threatening Chloe.

Dr. Shoai: I saw how frightened she was—of your behavior.

Allison: I can’t reach her. I need to explain this to her. (pause) I should have just walked away.

Dr. Shoai: Allison—

Allison: I really need your help, Kian. I don’t know what’s come over me. I don’t want to lose Chloe over this. She’s all I have.

Dr. Shoai: I know. Why don’t you come round my office on Monday?

Allison (nodding her head): Okay. Thank you again, Kian.

Dr. Shoai: No problem.

BRENDON AND NATHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Brendon was angered by the message he got from Estrella. She was not feeling well, and it would be better if he came to her. The nerve of her, he thought, his own nerves frayed by the sidebar interrogation he had with Kyle shortly before his annoying visit from Austin.

He had just finished calling Estrella when there was a knock on his bedroom door. He initially thought it was Justin as Nathan would have simply entered. He shouted for whomever it was to enter, and to his surprise, it was Kyle.

Brendon: Hi, Kyle. What brings you here?

Kyle: I’m here on “unofficial business.”

Brendon: Is this about the garbage in that tabloid? Surely you don’t—

Kyle (cutting him off): I don’t want to, but I should warn you that the department is planning on an investigation into these allegations.

Brendon: None of them will stick.

Kyle: For your sake, I hope they won’t.

Brendon (detecting something amiss in Kyle’s tone): What’s got you on edge?

Kyle: The other day I got the distinct feeling you were lying about something when I asked if you knew Vittoria Morelli.

Brendon: The woman who killed Peyton.

Kyle: And who put you into a coma.

Brendon: What exactly are you hinting at?

Kyle: She was also a prostitute.

Brendon: And you think she was working for me? Kyle, that’s outrageous.

Kyle: Is it? Whenever I busted her, she would never reveal who was her pimp. She was always too scared to talk.

Brendon: I can’t believe I’m hearing this.

Kyle: It would explain her motive in the attack.

Brendon: Kyle, I wouldn’t expect this out of a friend.

Kyle: I’m doing this mainly for Nate. I don’t want to see him hurt.

Brendon: You think I would purposely hurt Nathan. I love him.

Kyle: Is that why you left him out to dry when your nephew lied?

Brendon: Where is all this animosity coming from?

Kyle (calming down): I’m sorry. It’s just that I’ve been here before… when your partner’s keeping a really big secret from you. I don’t wish that on anyone, most of all Nate.

Brendon: Listen, Kyle, I promise you that not a drop of this is true.

Kyle (approaching him): I pray you’re telling the truth.

Brendon: You have nothing to worry about.

Kyle: If you say so. (turning to go) I’m glad to see that you came to your senses. Nate’s a great guy.

After Kyle had left, Brendon had his run-in with Austin before he got the message from Estrella. As he drove over to her home, his mind was on Kyle’s warning. This could really jeopardize my relationship with Nate, which is why it has to be swept under the rug. How the hell did this get out? I’m not sure how much more I can take of this. Kyle had mentioned Vittoria. She was right never to reference my name otherwise she would have lost everything. But she did lose her life all because of me. I hadn’t given her the gun and bullets, she wouldn’t have killed Peyton. Ironically, he was passing through Beverly Hills when he thought of Peyton. Estrella can wait. He made a sharp turn on the next street, drove up three blocks, and parked in front of Peyton’s home. He got out his car and walked to the front door, ringing the bell. Priscilla opened the door, surprised to see him.

Priscilla: Brendon, what brings you on this side of town? Shouldn’t you be at home with that fine man of yours?

Brendon: I wanted to see you.

Priscilla: Is this a booty call?

Brendon (resisting the urge to laugh): No, it’s—

Priscilla: Because if it is, it’ll have to wait until after my hot date tonight.

Brendon: Where are you going?

Priscilla: To the opera.

Brendon: And who’s the lucky guy? Anyone I know?

Priscilla: Nah! Just another potential conquest.

Brendon (laughing as he places his hand on her shoulder): How are you holding up?

Priscilla (sighing): As best I can. Peyton’s left me with much more than grief. There’s so much that needs to be done.

Brendon: If there’s anything I can do, you promise you’ll let me know.

Priscilla: Of course. I’ll make sure it’s heavy, manual labor so that I can see those big muscles at work.

Brendon (laughing as he hugs her): I’m so sorry. Peyton was such a great guy.

Priscilla (patting his back): I’ve heard him called everything this week. Thanks for your support.

Brendon soon took his leave, and Priscilla’s maternal instincts told her something was amiss with him. The man had something pressing on his mind. He was practically on the verge of tears, and it wasn’t because I wasn’t available for him to bed me. She quickly applied the finishing touches to her face and readied herself for a wonderful evening.

TRISTAN’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD, NEXT MORNING (SAME AS BEGINNING OF EPISODE)

Callum had another restless night, although it was not plagued by dreams of Gavin or Talon. He had hoped to get another hour of broken sleep when he looked at the clock, seeing it was seven; however, his phone rang with an urgent message that sent him over to West Hollywood. He didn’t even have to knock on the apartment door as it was wide open, Heath rushing to him the minute he saw him.

Callum: Heathcliff, this had better be an emergency. You sounded awful over the phone.

Heath: I didn’t know who else to call.

Callum: What’s wrong?

Heath: Shhh! (gesturing to the other room) It’s Tristan. He’s—

Callum: Sleeping—

Heath (finishing for him): With someone else. (guiding Callum over to the couch)

Callum: With whom?

Heath (on the verge of tears): I knew this would happen.

Callum: Have you been working on your oral sex techniques? I hear Bralen is very good at these things. (pause) He didn’t go back to Bralen, did he?

Heath: No, it’s someone else. I don’t know who.

Callum: Most likely some whore off the street.

At that moment, Talon stepped out Tristan’s room, almost zombie-like and crossed to the bathroom. Callum had his back to him, and thus neither saw the other. Heath was the only person to have seen him.

Callum: So what do you want me to do about it? I can’t make the man fall in love with you.

Heath (placing his head in his hands): I know. I brought this all on myself. (starts crying)

Callum (rising, coming over to him): Heath, what’s wrong? You’re taking this very hard.

At that moment, Talon exited the bathroom door and began crossing the common room, prompting Callum to look up and see him, their eyes locking.

Callum (surprised): Talon?

Talon: Callum?

Heath: You know each other?

Callum: What are you doing here? I thought you were heading back to London.

Heath: He had a change of plans. He’s going to Italy… with Tristan! I overheard them making plans last night.

Callum (a look of complete astonishment on his face): What the—how could you—(coming over to him) do this to me—to us?

He suddenly looked over to Tristan’s room, saw the door ajar, and rushed to it, pushing it open. He saw Tristan, lying in bed asleep, Talon’s luggage over in the corner. He saw a glass vase with flowers, seized it, and threw it against the farthest wall, the glass breaking in all directions as the sound awakened Tristan.

Callum: You bastard!

Tristan (awaking and stretching himself in bed): Callum, thanks for waking me. I didn’t want to oversleep.

Talon (rushing to the door upon hearing the sound): What the bloody hell!

Callum (to Tristan): I could kill you right now.

Tristan rose from the bed, fully nude, his body and cock a display of infinite beauty. Both Heath and Talon stared at its phallic majesty, locked in awe over what it was capable of doing to their bodies. Callum was so inflamed with rage that as he saw a sizable glass fragment on the floor, the only thought in his mind was giving Tristan an emergency circumcision. At that moment, Tristan took a pair of boxers and slipped into them.

Callum: You filthy piece of shit!

Talon (coming into the room, confronting Callum): That’s it. I’ve grown tired of you threatening and insulting people at every chance you get. You’re not the man I fell in love with.

Callum: And neither are you! I thought you were a gentleman, a man of tastes… not someone who sleeps with (looking at Tristan) a whore!

Talon: I’ve forgotten, Callum, if that’s one notch above or below you.

Callum (balking at the unexpected remark): How could you—lie down with dogs, get up with fleas—or in Tristan’s case, crabs.

Talon (grabbing Callum’s hand, jerking him out into the living room): That’s it! We need to talk.

Callum (once they’ve found some privacy): What’s got into you… besides the obvious!

Talon: Spare me your crass humor.

Callum: I never would have done this.

Talon: Done what? Sleep with another man? Too late, you’ve already done that.

Callum: You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?

Talon: Am I detecting a note of jealousy? Why are you reacting this way? You threw me out, remember?

Callum: But I didn’t send you over here to hop into bed with that louse. Where did you find him? On the street corner?

Talon: Where is all this venom coming from?

Callum (tears in his eyes): is it true?

Talon: What?

Callum: Are you going to Italy with him?

Talon (seeing the tears in Callum’s eyes): It’s not what you think. He’s going home to see his family and wanted me—(coming over to hold Callum, who backs away from him) Look, I won’t go if that’s what you want. It’s your call.

Callum (seeing Tristan, bare-chested, coming into the room): Don’t be daft, Talon. You’re an adult. Do what you want. I honestly don’t give a damn.

Tristan (to Talon): I’m leaving for the airport in thirty.

Talon: Thanks, mate. (looking to Callum) Could you give us just a few more minutes alone?

Tristan: Okay. (turning to see Heath, pain on his face)

He crosses to Heath, gently taking him by the arm, and guiding him into the bedroom at the same time as Callum rushes out the apartment, Talon attempting to follow him, but Talon realizes it’s futile as he’s half-dressed, and propriety mandates he not go outside in that manner.

Heath (sniffling and wiping eyes): So you’re going to Italy with him? What’s that all about?

Tristan: Look, Babe, it was supposed to be you, but you’ve been acting strange lately. I’m going to Vittoria’s funeral. I need to be there for her mother.

Heath (pleadingly): I need you here with me.

Tristan: Don’t make me choose. (pause) Isn’t that what you have Kyle for?

Heath: Tristan, please don’t—this isn’t about him.

Tristan: The hell it isn’t. You’re seeing him behind my back.

Heath: So what? (pointing to Talon) Your night with him was payback for what you think I’m doing with Kyle. (starting to move toward door)

Tristan: I’m not stupid, Heath. I know what you’re doing.

Heath (opening the door): You don’t know shit! (exits the apartment)

NATHAN AND BRENDON’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Enid had navigated through the little ravine, trespassing onto the property again. She looked up at the window on the second floor, knowing that it was Justin’s room. She had taken a quick trip back that past evening and had seen him in the window. It was now still early in the morning, and she had been thinking about him. She took a pebble from the ground and threw at the window. Hearing the tapping, Justin soon came to it. The moment his head looked out the window and made contact with her beautiful eyes, Estelle’s “American Boy” begins playing in the background.

Justin (trying not to shout): What are you doing here?

Enid (beckoning): Come on down!

Justin: I can’t. I’m still grounded.

Enid (noticing the trellis): Then I’m coming up. (her tomboy instincts kicking in, she begins climbing)

Justin (once she makes it through his window): Are you crazy?

Enid: What? You didn’t think I was could do it. I’m into rock climbing so this was a breeze. (picking up his mp3 player) So I guess you’re still grounded? For how long?

He couldn’t tell her the real answer that he was due to be shipped out in a few more days. He snatched back his mp3 player and attempted to change the subject.

Justin: So will you be going to Hollycove Prep?

Enid: What’s that?

Justin (he sits on the bed): The high school.

Enid: I’m finished with high school. I’m going to uni.

Justin: What’s that?

Enid: Enough talk about school! Will you be free to go to another rave tomorrow night? (pulling out a flyer from her pocket) It’s in some place called Arcadia. It’d be cool if you came with me.

Justin (hesitantly): Uh—I—I—really can’t make it.

Enid (sitting on bed next to him): You’re no fun.

Justin (sighing): I know. It sucks.

Enid: Luckily for you, I always bring fun with me. (pulling out a small bag of pot from her pocket)

Justin: Shit! Dude, we can’t smoke that in here!

Enid: Why not? It’s your room.

Justin: If my dad smells it—

Enid: You’ve got the window open. He won’t.

Justin: Nah! I’m already in too much shit.

Enid (flicking on her lighter): Well, if you don’t wish to join me.

Justin (reactively snatching the lighter and joint away from her): Didn’t you hear me?

She smiled coyly at him as he walked away, his back to her. She then grabbed a pillow and threw it at him. He turned around, a smile on his face. He seized the pillow, balled it, and threw it back at her. She unleashed a brief squeal before taking the other pillow and charging at him. He pushed back into her, and she fell onto the bed. She laughed at him. He grabbed another pillow and struck at her again, her laughter increasing tenfold.

Justin: Shhh!

Enid: Whatever you say. (seizing the pillow and throwing it back at him)

Justin: You! (playfully pouncing on her)

Enid (pushing him away): I think I won this one.

Justin: Yeah, right! (throwing another pillow at him)

She ducked, the pillow hit the bedside lamp and fell to the floor. Moments later, they both heard footsteps, Enid catching a brief look of panic in Justin’s face as they heard a man’s deep voice.

Brendon (through the door): Justin, what’s going on in there?

Justin (to Enid): Quick! Hide!

Just as Brendon enters the room, Enid had dexterously slipped under the bed. Brendon saw the room in partial disarray, pillows on the floor and the fallen lamp.

Brendon (angrily): What were you doing? Trying to trash this room like you did the last one?

Justin: No, I was—uh—moving the bed.

Brendon (coming over to pick up lamp): Well, you should be packing. What the hell is this? (picking up joint)

Justin (caught off guard): It-It’s not—

Brendon (crossly): it’s not what? Not yours? Didn’t you hear me the other night? I won’t have you bringing any drugs in this house.

Justin: Well, I guess you won’t have to worry about that much longer, huh?

Brendon: Where’s the rest of your stash? (going to the closet to rifle through it as Enid peeks out from the bed to see Brendon, ducks her head back under it)

Justin (panicking): Look, Brendon, it was the last one. I swear. I don’t have any left.

Brendon: You had better be telling the truth. Now, get this room cleaned up.

Once he left the room and Justin had closed the door, Enid crawled from under the bed.

Enid: That was close.

Justin: I think you should go.

Enid: Is this because your dad found the puff and went mental?

Justin: I said leave!

Enid: All right! You don’t have to shout.

She climbed through the window and down the trellis. Justin looked at her retreating figure in the distance, an expression of sadness upon his face. Maybe it’s for the best. I’ll be gone soon anyway, and then she’ll forget about me.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, MINUTES LATER

Enid came home from one angry boy to one infuriated man.

Callum: Where have you been?

Enid: What’s it to you? I was taking a walk.

Callum: I hope you enjoyed it because you’re leaving for home this evening.

Enid: What?

Callum: You heard me. The ticket’s already been purchased. You’ll be arriving in Heathrow around—

Enid: I’m not going back home.

Callum: You can’t stay here.

Enid: Why not? You’ve got plenty of room.

Callum: For starters, I’ll be leaving for Manchester soon, and I’m not leaving you alone to get into trouble.

Enid: I can take care of myself.

Callum: Like you did the other night?

Enid: I told you. It was just—

Callum: I don’t care what you say! Whatever you took was illegal, not to mention you’re underage! I can’t believe I have a smackhead for a sister.

Enid: I don’t have to stand here and listen to this.

Callum: Which is precisely why you’re going home!

Enid: Look, I’m sorry. Isn’t that what you want to hear? Yes, I made a mistake. Haven’t you ever made any stupid mistakes?

Callum (softening): I’ve made several but nothing like yours. I know this is just your last teenage act of rebellion before you’re off to university—which is another reason for you to go back. Term starts soon.

Enid: I’m not going to Oxford.

Callum: Mum said you were accepted.

Enid: I was, but I’m thinking of going somewhere else.

Callum: Where else? Cambridge? I can’t say Father shall be proud of your breaking with tradition.

Enid: I’m going to university here in Los Angeles.

Callum (laughing): I wasn’t aware this city had any academic credibility.

Enid: I’m thinking of going to USC.

Callum: Where?

Enid: The University of Southern California. It purportedly has the largest amount of British exchange students in American universities. I was accepted, and I’m—

Callum (cutting her off): Does Mum know about this?

Enid: N-Not exactly, but I’m sure she’ll accept the idea once she knows I’ll be staying here with you.

Callum: Absolutely not! You can’t stay here in Los Angeles.

Enid: Why not?

Callum: It’s too far from home.

Enid: I can take care of myself, Callum. You should know I’m an adult now.

Callum: Why? Because a few drops of blood fall from between your legs and you suddenly think you can take on the world. The last time that happened to a woman we ended up with Maggie Thatcher as Prime Minister. And just exactly how do you intend on paying for this little change of plan?

Enid: Nana’s inheritance.

Callum: What? I never heard anything about that. She promised me—

Enid (cutting him off): She changed her will once you married a multimillionaire. She left me everything.

Callum (dramatically laughing at the irony): Well, you still can’t stay here.

Enid: Why can’t I? It’s not like I see you. You’re my only sibling, and I can’t stay there with Mum and Dad, encroaching on my freedom… always checking in on me. I want to be somewhere else. I miss you. (starts crying) We nearly lost you last week.

Callum (coming over to comfort her): There! There! I’m fine. I could wring Talon’s neck for scaring you and the family.

Enid (through teary eyes): He did the right thing.

Callum (sighing): You and he were always close.

Enid (sniffling): Where is he? I was hoping to speak with him. His hotel isn’t too far from here? (feeling Callum pull away from her) Will he be coming round later?

Callum (solemnly): No, he won’t.

Enid (sensing something): Did something happen between you two?

Callum (his back to her): We came to an understanding.

Enid: That you belong together?

Callum (swiftly turning to face her): That ship sailed away several years ago. I wish you’d drop that foolish sentiment that he and I are soul mates.

Enid: But you are! He really loves you. Don’t you remember how he helped you to come out to Mum and Dad? You were so scared, but he was there for you.

Callum: That was a long time ago, Enid. That was when Mum was still mourning over Princess Di.

Enid: And Talon told her that the nation had lost a princess, but she had just gained a queen of her own.

Callum (cracking a smile): I think she warmed to his sense of humor, and as I recall it, he bribed you with chocolates.

Enid: You know I convinced him to come here to Los Angeles.

Callum (surprised): What?

Enid: A few weeks ago he cryptically told me that someone desired for him to come to Los Angeles, and he wanted my opinion if he should come. I told him he shouldn’t give up on his first love. (walking over to him) And neither should you.

Callum: You should stay out of this. It doesn’t concern you.

Enid: Do you remember when you and Talon had first begun dating, and I had foolishly asked if I could be the flower girl at your wedding?

Callum: You were only what? Seven? Eight?

Enid: Even then I could tell you two really loved each other. Why did you leave him for Gavin?

Callum: It’s too complicated. You wouldn’t understand. I loved Gavin. We connected on so many different levels.

Enid (goading him): And what about Talon?

Callum: I loved them both, Enid. It was difficult for me to settle for Gavin, but he made me happy.

Enid (coming face to face with him): Callum, Gavin is gone. He’s not in the way of you and Talon.

Callum: But he is. I made a promise to him.

Enid (placing her hands on his shoulders): Do you want to be with Talon?

Callum (teary-eyed): This is—

Enid (leveling his chin so that their eyes meet): Don’t lie to me. You’re my big brother, and I only want you to be happy. Now do you want to be—

Callum (not waiting for her to finish): Yes, I do.

Enid: Then let him know! Go to his hotel and tell—

Callum (moving from her): Bloody hell!

Enid: What is it?

Callum (grabbing his car keys): He’s not at a hotel. He’s at the airport.

Enid: What are you waiting for? Let’s go. I’ll drive (trying to take the keys from Callum)

Callum: Nice one, sis, but there’s not a chance in hell you’re getting behind the wheel.

She smiled, kissed him, and they both hurriedly left the house.

TRISTAN’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Heath returned home to find the apartment empty, having looked in Tristan’s room. He had already left for the airport. Heath sat on the couch and pulled his legs to his chest. He began crying, once more consumed with anguish over the mess his life had become. He was angry with himself for not telling Tristan the truth. He felt he had nothing left now. There was a knock at the door. He went to open it, finding Kyle on the other side, immediately throwing his arms around him and not wanting to let go.

Kyle: Heath, what is it?

Heath: Tr-Tristan.

Kyle: Did he do something to you? (pulling away and angrily going in search of Tristan) Where is he?

Heath: H-He’s gone.

Kyle (coming back to him): If he’s hurt you, I’ll break his—

Heath: He’s gone to Italy.

Kyle: What?

Heath: Vittoria’s funeral.

Kyle: And he just left you here? In your condition?

Heath: Kyle?

Kyle: Yes?

Heath: Nothing. I-I just—(begins crying)

Kyle (cradling him): It’s okay. I’m here now.

Heath: I don’t deserve this. There’s something you should know. It’s about Bralen.

Kyle (sighing as he sits on the couch, his butt hitting the remote lying on the cushion, turning on the TV): He told you what happened between us.

Heath: What?

Kyle: Look, Heath, it was a mistake, and I stopped it before it got too far.

Heath (shocked): You two—

Kyle: Bralen and I—

Heath: Don’t, I—(pause) don’t need to hear it.

Kyle: Heath, I need for you to know that I still love you. I would never do anything to hurt you.

Heath: You’re in love with someone else... the old me. You don’t know the real me.

Kyle: I’ve forgiven you, Heath.

Heath: I can’t forgive myself. I’ve ruined so many lives.

Kyle: Why are you talking like this? (he suddenly gets an urgent buzz on his pager ) Heath, I-I have to go. (scratching his head) Why don’t you come with me to the station? I don’t want to leave you alone.

Heath: I’m fine. I’ll be okay.

Kyle: Are you sure?

Heath: Yeah.

Kyle (coming over to kiss him): Call me if anything happens. I’ll be here as fast as I can.

Their conversation had drowned out the sound of the television, but once Kyle had left, Heath sat back down on the couch, his eyes drawn to the screen. There was coverage of the Beijing Olympics. The athletes were competing for their respective countries, the cheers of the crowd an audible form of encouragement. Bralen should be there, but he’s not there because of me. Tristan should be here with me instead of with that guy, but he’s only with him because I couldn’t tell him the truth—which if I did would have only spelled the end of our relationship. And now Bralen is with Kyle. He obviously hasn’t told him the full truth, but once he does, Kyle will hate me for what I did, and then I’ll have no one else left. Everyone hates me. I’m all alone.

It was at that moment he knew what had to be done. With fresh tears in his eyes, he thought back to last night as he rose and solemnly walked into the bedroom.

ALLISON AND CHLOE’S HOME, LOS FELIZ

Allison and Chloe sat at the breakfast table, Chloe having barely touched her food. Allison could tell that something was wrong.

Allison: Chloe, I’m really sorry about yesterday. You shouldn’t have seen any of that.

Chloe (taking a sip of juice): It’s okay. You’ve apologized enough already.

Allison: Then what’s wrong? You seem so distant. You know I can read you like a book. (coming over to kiss her)

Chloe was shaken over what had happened, but her mind was on Estrella. There was something amiss with her, and the way she had abruptly left the hospital yesterday, although I’m sure Callum was the catalyst. Thank goodness Allison hadn’t seen the two of us together.

Chloe: I would like for us to just spend the day together. You know… just like old times.

Allison: We could go the park (noticing Chloe’s reaction). I didn’t mean Griffith Park. Why don’t you come with me to Venice later today? There’s a Board meeting there, and afterwards we could watch the sunset on the beach.

Chloe: Sounds good to me. (looking into Allison’s eyes) Thanks for giving us another try.

Allison (kissing her): Where would I be without you?

The doorbell rang, and Allison left the kitchen to answer it. Soon, Chloe hears Allison say the name “Nathan” and has an uneasy reaction to it.

ONE HOUR EARLIER…

Nathan, a determined expression on his face, approached Brendon.

Brendon: I wish you would stop avoiding me.

Nathan: And I wish you would tell me the truth (throwing the tabloid at him).

Brendon: Surely you don’t believe the garbage they’re printing.

Nathan: You told Kyle that you didn’t know this Vittoria woman.

Brendon (adamantly): I don’t.

Nathan: According to this (gesturing to the tabloid) she “worked” for you. You were her pimp.

Brendon: That’s a—

Nathan: Brendon, this is the same woman who attacked us in the park. She’s the reason you have that gash on the side of your head… the reason you were in a coma.

Brendon: I know!

Nathan: Did you know that before Kyle told us?

Brendon: Why are you questioning me like this?

Nathan: Because if what this rag says is true, then she had a pretty good motive for doing what she did.

Brendon (coming to him): Calm down, Nathan. This is a bunch of bullshit, and you know it.

Nathan: Is it? You said you didn’t know her. So why was she an extra in one of your films?

Brendon: Nathan, I’m a producer, not a casting director. How am I supposed to—

Nathan (cutting him off): Brendon, I can’t do this. I won’t be lied to after everything I’ve been through with Justin.

Brendon: Nate, you have to believe me.

Nathan (a tear coming into his eye): I don’t even know if I can trust you. (turns and walks away)

PEYTON’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, MORNING

Priscilla rose at dawn and made herself a steaming pot of black coffee. She turned on the television to a cable channel to watch continued coverage of the Beijing Olympics, instantly thinking of Bralen. Now that the Games are in full swing, I hope he’s fine. I know his parents aren’t here, and he needs all the support he can get. He looked somewhat chipper yesterday at lunch, talking about his new love interest. I hope it works out with whoever it is. I just hope it’s not my Sweet Cheeks Drake. At that moment the phone rang.

Priscilla: Speak of the devil. I was just thinking of you.

Drake (urgently): Why haven’t you been checking your messages? Don’t you know I’ve been trying to reach you?

Priscilla: I’ve been busy with lunch appointments, and well, last night I was on a date.

Drake: I need to see you. There’s a problem.

Priscilla: What now?

Drake: You gave me the wrong DVD.

Priscilla: You were in more than one DVD? You really get around, Sweet Cheeks.

Drake: No, you put the wrong DVD in the wrong case.

Priscilla: How am I supposed to remember all that? I saw like five porn movies that night.

Drake: That’s really cringeworthy, Priscilla.

Priscilla: We all have our vices, Drake. Mine is seeing naked men. Yours is fucking them.

Drake: Hey, if I wanted to hear that, I’d speak with Callum.

Priscilla: Don’t get me confused with him. What is it you want me to do?

Drake: Are those DVDs still there?

Priscilla: Yes.

Drake: Don’t move anything. I’ll be over there as soon as I can.

Priscilla: You better hurry. I have an appointment at the spa. I’m getting a massage from Jose, and he always gets me warm and tingly inside.

Drake: TMI!

Priscilla (hearing the dial tone): What the hell does that mean? (slamming down phone)

ESTRELLA’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, SAME TIME

Estrella had an interesting night, talking to Brendon, attempting to assuage his anxieties, reminding him that as long as the tabloid didn’t have any proof, he was in the clear. She hadn’t got much sleep as result of the other pressing matter. She had been debating on which course of action to take. While a child would definitely be an inconvenience at this time in her life, her strict Catholic background prevented her from even thinking of an abortion. She had been debating how to break the shocking news to Tristan. I have to tell him. I know he won’t believe me, but he was the last man I was intimate with. She stepped outside her home, the sunlight pouring down onto her beautiful figure. She dialed his cell phone, and he tersely answered it.

Tristan: What is it?

Estrella: I need to see you. It’s something important.

Tristan: Can it wait?

Estrella: Not really.

Tristan: It’ll have to. I’m about to board a plane.

Estrella: Where are you going?

Tristan: Home for Vittoria’s funeral. Sorry, Estrella, they just called our seats. Gotta go!

Estrella heard the dial tone and frantically ran her hands through her hair. At the same time, Tristan and Talon had risen from their seats and moved to the airline representative to hand her their boarding passes.

RODRIGO’S APARTMENT, HOLLYWOOD, SAME TIME

Rodrigo ran his fingers through all the money in the briefcase. One million dollars! The ransom for the return of Callum’s son. He was still trying to figure out what to do with the money. Return it? Or spend it? There came a knock at the door. He covered the briefcase with a blanket and went to open the door. There was a tall man standing in the doorway. Rodrigo thought he knew him. The man seemed to know his name.

Brendon: Rodrigo Caldozar?

Rodrigo: What’s it to you?

Brendon’s hands reached out, grasped around Rodrigo’s neck, and he pushed himself into the apartment, making sure to close the door behind him with the dexterous use of his heel.

*

Eve 6’s “Here’s to the Night” closes out this episode as the image of Heath’s hand placing a letter on Tristan’s bed fades into that of him placing a similar letter on Kyle’s bed in their old home. He used the spare key to enter the place, making sure that Kyle was not there when he entered. He intended for it to be quick… leave the letter and get to his final destination, but knowing that this was to be his last time ever in his old home, he burst into tears. Kyle still had the photo album lying on the coffee table, and he couldn’t resist looking through it, smiling through fresh tears at the wonderful memories they had shared.

I do love you, Kyle, but you’re in love with the wrong person. You’d be disgusted with the things I’ve done. I’m no good for you. Rising from the table, he likewise couldn’t resist going into the kitchen, an area with which he had become quite familiar in this place. He opened the refrigerator to see that the contents inside were starting to mold. He looked at the countertops to see remnants of fast food takeout. Heath’s first impulse was to clean everything, but he didn’t want to leave any sign of his being there aside from the letter. Oh, Kyle, where would you be without me? Tears came to his eyes as he rushed from the place, closing the door behind him.

Half an hour later saw him leaving Bralen’s place in Santa Monica, having left a letter in his mailbox. He had explained everything in all of them. Kyle, Bralen, and Tristan would all know the truth of what he had done to wreck all their lives. All secrets now revealed in print, his conscience felt somewhat clear.

He reached his final destination another hour half later in Malibu. It appeared that no one was around, and he allowed himself to ponder his final thoughts. Hopefully, everyone will understand what I had to do for atonement. Not that it would matter. He looked at the water. The ocean looked peaceful and inviting from the bluff. He looked over the edge and saw the sharp rocks below. It’ll all be over before I know it. Stepping to the edge, he prepared to jump.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: