Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 32: “Victory at Too High a Cost”

Austin had nearly two weeks to make his case as the new president of Los Angeles Outrunners. The date of the special election had been set, and email notices had gone out to the entire club membership. He knew he was quickly gaining respect among the elderly constituency, especially after the glowing remarks he received from volunteering at the Gay Lesbian Elder Housing facility. He had definitely earned brownie points with Jeremy, who was very enthusiastic about the fundraiser in September. He knew Brendon really didn’t have a chance in hell of winning. In fact, he’s making it easy since the elderly club members believed everything in the tabloids. I even read in the trade papers that the stock in his company was falling. He had better get into crisis control mode. I really want this campaign over so that I can get back to Drake. I know I haven’t spent much time with him, and he’s still upset about Callum slapping him. It’s good that bastard is gone for two weeks otherwise I would kill him with my bare hands. But right now we need him to secure a celebrity for the fundraiser. It’s really no worry because my first act of duty as president is to remove him from this club.

KYLE’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Our Lady Peace’s “Somewhere Out There” plays as Kyle sits at his kitchen table, unshaven, hair unkempt as his hands flip through the photo album containing images of him with Heath. His fingertips lovingly brush the glossy surface as if he hoped Heath’s soft flesh would suddenly materialize from the picture. Where are you, Heath? I need you back here. I pray to God you haven’t left me forever. Kyle twisted the ring on his finger, thinking about what it meant. I would change everything to make it right with you. I won’t give up on us, not until I know for sure you’re gone, and even then I wouldn’t stop loving you. The next two weeks would test his mettle, and Bralen would psychologically test his fidelity to Heath.

NATHAN AND BRENDON’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Justin sat on his bed, solemnly looking at the image of Enid on his digital camera. She was probably on her flight back to England, and he most likely wouldn’t see her again. He was due to be shipped out in another day. It’s just as good I go. There’s no way I could honestly be with her. She’s Callum’s sister. He’d never allow it nor would Brendon. He stared at the image again, her magnetic smile and overall beauty enthralling him. She’ll be expecting me when she gets back. She said such nice things about me, that I was her first true friend here. I have to try something. I can’t disappoint her. I miss her already.

These emotions overwhelming him, he took out some notepaper and began writing something which he hoped would be his salvation. Meanwhile, Brendon was downstairs, having a quick bit of breakfast before he would head into the office. He was still distraught over his recent argument with Nathan, whom he missed deeply. They had had arguments before, but nothing quite like this, and for good reason since criminal charges could be in the works. Brendon knew it would never come to that. He’d make sure. Estrella promised him she was working on something to clear his name, and he likewise had devised a secret plan to vindicate himself in the eyes of the public and the entire Outrunners club. I’m sure Austin is really eating this up. I can’t lose this election in the same way that I can’t lose Nathan. But if push comes to shove, I do have a trump card I could use against Austin. The good thing is that I hear Callum is out of the country for two weeks so he can’t go after Nathan. His thoughts were interrupted by an envelope being placed before him. He immediately looked up to see that Justin had put it there.

Brendon: What’s this?

Justin (pouring himself a glass of juice): Read it when you have time today.

Brendon: Might as well be now. I’m in meetings all day. What is it?

Justin (sitting down in front of him): My apology.

Brendon (opening the envelope): You’re down to the wire, eh?

Justin: I don’t want to go.

Brendon (reading it): So you’re asking for a last minute reprieve?

Justin: Please, I don’t have anyone left—

Brendon (putting down letter): You always have me, even when we don’t see eye to eye. We are family. Don’t you ever forget that.

Justin: So can I—

Brendon: Justin, a simple apology can’t absolve you of all the hurt you’ve caused.

Justin: Please give me a second chance. Didn’t you read what I wrote?

Brendon: I did. Justin, we’ve all been dealt bad cards in life, but it’s how we—

Justin (bursting into tears): Whatever! You’ve already made up your mind. All I wanted was a chance to prove myself to you but you’ll never know if you ship me off.

Brendon: What about Nathan?

Justin: What about him? You want me to apologize to him, too? I’ll do it. (pause) Where is he? Oh yeah, that’s right. You two are arguing over something, and he’s moved out.

Brendon (adamantly): Justin!

Justin: At least I would never leave you. Blood is thicker than water.

Brendon: Justin, you need to understand—

Justin: We don’t need him. All we need is each other. If he loved you, he wouldn’t leave behind what you two have.

Brendon: It’s complicated.

Justin (coming over to hug him): I can be here for you. I know what it’s like to be abandoned.

Brendon (breaking free of him, rising and shouting): You weren’t abandoned! (suddenly crippled by a migraine that sends his hands to his forehead) Owww!

Justin (beholding the sight before rushing to him): Dad! (helping him sit back down in chair and then gets him water) Are you okay? (grabs the phone on the table)

Brendon: What are you doing?

Justin: I’m calling the doctor.

Brendon (grabbing Justin’s hand and taking phone from it): I-I’m fine. No need to make that call. It’s just a headache.

Justin (looking into his eyes): But it could have been worse. And what if I hadn’t been here? (hugging him) This is what I’m afraid of… losing you before I even get to know you, Dad.

Brendon (feeling Justin’s tears seeping through his shirt): That’s the second time you called me “Dad.” Don’t’ worry, Son. You won’t lose me, and I’m not going to lose you.

Justin (pulling away, sniffling): So does that mean I can stay?

Brendon (ruffling Justin’s hair with his hand): I’ll think about it, but you have to promise you’ll behave. No more lies. No more drugs.

Justin (unceremoniously placing his foot atop the table): And what about this? (pointing to the ankle monitor)

Brendon: Like I said, I’ll think about it. (glancing at watch) I’m running late. You remember what I said. I’ll see you when I get home this evening.

Justin: How about pizza and a DVD?

Brendon (suddenly smiling): You’d really like that? Spending time with your old man? (seeing Justin nod) We’ll see.

As soon as he had left, Justin dropped the act, the smile on his face giving way to a cunning expression of triumph. There’s no way he’s sending me off now. I just had to play on his emotions. Fags can be such sentimental assholes. I need to keep up this charade and soon I’ll have him eating out the palm of my hand. I just have to keep him away from Nathan. He would spend the next two weeks doing just that.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Priscilla had called Godfrey to confirm that Callum had left the country. Once she got approval to come over for some private time, she felt elated this would be the perfect opportunity to get more information on Callum, especially as Godfrey was fairly open to talking about him with the assistance of alcohol. On the way over, she rang Drake.

Priscilla: Guess what I’m wearing underneath my dress?

Drake: Is this your twisted idea of phone sex?

Priscilla: It’s that hot number you helped me pick out at Bloomingdale’s. I’m meeting with Godfrey. That awful Callum has left the country.

Drake: Then we both can celebrate!

Priscilla: I still can’t believe he slapped you. Or were you turned on by that?

Drake: Priscilla!

Priscilla: Well, the guys in the video roughed you up and did all sorts of demeaning things to you, but you seemed to revel in it.

Drake (harshly): I told you to NEVER bring that up again!

Priscilla: Okay. Okay. Don’t bite my head off. Anyway, I wanted to ask you to an early dinner.

Drake: That sounds fine as long as you behave.

Priscilla: I just made it here. Wish me and the girls (pushing up her breasts) good luck.

She terminates the call, exits her car, her sun dress billowing in the brief breeze, and goes to the front door, and gestures to ring the bell, but Godfrey opens the door before she has time to follow through with the action.

Godfrey: Security told me you had arrived.

Priscilla (entering): Did they also tell you I came armed with smoldering sensuality?

Godfrey: I knew that already. You look absolutely stunning in that dress.

Priscilla (sotto voce): You’ll love what’s on underneath. (aloud) You mean this little rag?

Godfrey: I thought we might have an early lunch outside by the pool. It’s a really lovely day.

Priscilla: That sounds nice.

Godfrey: Would you like something to drink?

Priscilla (winking): You already know the answer. (looking at her watch) It’s a little past eleven so I can have a cosmo. What’s with that expression?

Godfrey: That was the preferred drink of Ms. Morelli.

Priscilla: Th-The woman who killed my son? How do you know that?

Godfrey: She sent me on a false trip for one the last time I saw her.

Priscilla: Why was she here? How close was she to Callum?

Godfrey: Priscilla, I can see this has you disturbed. Why don’t you go on out to the pool? I’ve prepared the table, and I’ll bring out the food.

Priscilla (recomposing herself): I need to go to the bathroom.

He gave her directions, and they each went to their destinations. She splashed water on her face. So Callum knew this woman. Did he have her kill my baby? I have to know, I must get it out of Godfrey. As she left the bathroom, she saw the staircase through an open door in the other room. Knowing that Peyton died at the top, she morbidly felt compelled to go to the place where her son took his last breath. Gingerly mounting the steps, she looked all over the landing for any signs of her son’s presence. Had tears not come to her eyes at that moment, she probably would have envisioned his blood in a puddle on the floor.

She wept to herself before curiosity got the better of her judgment, and she went tiptoeing down the long hallway whose walls were lined with priceless artwork. She found a few rooms unlocked and took a peek inside them, ogling at the majesty of them, both in their spaciousness and opulence. The floors and beds were adorned with the finest fabrics, and the furniture looked to be from a bygone era of elegance. She had only seen two rooms like this, and was about to enter a third room when she felt something hard on her shoulder, prompting her to release a scream. It was only Godfrey.

Priscilla: You nearly scared me out my skin!

Godfrey (candidly): What are you doing here?

Priscilla: Giving myself a personal tour of this mansion. These rooms are fit for—

Godfrey (finishing for her): Nobility. His Lordship only sought out the best.

Priscilla (twisting the knob on the door in front of her): What’s in here?

Godfrey (grabbing the doorknob, dexterously removing her hand): It’s His Lordship’s bedroom. His privacy mustn’t be compromised. (taking a key from his pocket and locking the door) Shall we have our lunch now? Afterwards, I can show you around if you’re still interested.

Priscilla (watching Godfrey place the key in his pocket): That sounds fine.

She reluctantly went back downstairs with him. There’s something in that room he didn’t want me to see. I must work my magic and get that key from him. I have only this brief amount of time to find a link between Callum and Peyton’s death. She would spend the next two weeks doing just that.

ALLISON AND CHLOE’S HOME, LOS FELIZ

Chloe woke early to find that Allison had already left for work. She went into the kitchen to make breakfast and ten minutes later was sitting down on the couch with a cup of steaming coffee on the table. She flipped on the TV to the broadcast of the Olympics. The doorbell rang and she rose to answer it, finding Nathan standing on the porch.

Nathan: Good morning, Chloe.

Chloe (listlessly): Allison’s not here.

Nathan: I know. I actually came to see you.

Chloe (gesturing for him to come inside): Would you like some coffee?

Nathan (sitting down on couch): Yeah, that would be nice.

Chloe (on her way to kitchen): So what brings you by? (shouting from kitchen) Hopefully, Allison didn’t send you over to babysit me. (coming back into room and handing him a cup)

Nathan: No, I came by to apologize about yesterday.

Chloe: What did you do?

Nathan: You know…interrupting your morning with Allison.

Chloe: It’s okay. You two are friends.

Nathan: That’s true, but I shouldn’t always commandeer her time whenever I have problems.

Chloe: Was she able to help you? How are things between you and Brendon?

Nathan (sighing): Not good. I think he’s not being entirely honest.

Chloe: So where does that leave you two? You’re not willing to give him a second chance?

Nathan: If you only knew of the sacrifices I’ve made for this relationship.

Chloe: I definitely know a thing or two about sacrifices. That’s all I ever seem to do.

Nathan (taking a sip): It’s been a rough summer for us. We both lost a child.

Chloe (fighting back tears): I’m so sorry, Nathan. (he comes over to her as she starts crying) I’ve been so damn selfish. I didn’t stop once to think how this was affecting you, too. Jacob’s your son.

Nathan: Jacob? I thought you and Allison didn’t know the sex of the baby.

Chloe: It’s a boy. I know it. He was taken away from us.

Nathan (embracing her): I know. It’s a tragedy, but you know me and Allison are here for you.

Chloe: I’ll take you at your word. As for Allison, the jury’s still out.

Nathan: Come on, Chloe, don’t say that. Allison really loves you.

Chloe: Yeah, when she’s not otherwise engaged with you, the hospital, or Callum.

Nathan (taking her hand in his): I know it seems that way, but she genuinely cares about you. I’m sure you two’ll work out whatever problems you have.

Chloe: In her defense, she’s trying. We have an appointment for couple’s therapy next week.

Nathan: Maybe Brendon and I can join you guys. Perhaps they’ll give a group discount.

Chloe (laughing): I hope things work out between you two.

Nathan: I believe everything happens for a reason.

Chloe (looking into his eyes): Do you?

Nathan: Sometimes it’s unexplainable.

Chloe (rising from the couch): I wish someone would explain why all this is happening.

Nathan (rising to hug her): Just know that you’re not alone.

Chloe: Thank you again for everything, Nathan. I know he would love you as a father.

Nathan (kissing her forehead): I would do it again if I could. I-I know how much you wanted children. (patting her back) Anyway, I have to get to the academy. It’s time to prepare for the new school year in a few weeks. Where did this summer go?

Chloe (solemnly): It passed us by.

Nathan (putting his index finger to her chin and raising it): Will you be fine here? Or would you like to come to campus with me? We could have lunch together. (winking) It might make Allison jealous.

Chloe (laughing): You’re funny, but I’ll take a rain check.

Nathan (kissing her cheek): You hang in there and don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything.

As he left, Chloe’s sprits had risen, and she understood how as a teenager Allison could have developed an innocent crush on him. Over the next two weeks, Chloe’s own feelings about Nathan would change.

ST. ANNE’S HOSPICE, RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA

Rodrigo had paid his landlord next month’s rent fairly early. He had taken the money from the briefcase, which he had placed in the back of his car along with this heavy backpack and several bundles of clean clothing. The drive to Riverside had been long but peaceful as he listened to an audiobook, written and narrated by Callum. It was his biggest bestseller My Autumnal Youth, which Rodrigo had read three times already. It was such a moving, romantic story of unconditional love. Callum had dedicated it to his late husband, but each time Rodrigo had read certain passages, it was if Callum were talking personally to him. Rodrigo made it to his destination, and saw his mother within the next few minutes, lying in bed, her face gaunt and pale. He knew the end was near. Sitting at her bedside, Cora Caldozar opened her eyes when she felt her son’s hand lovingly brush against her forehead.

Cora: Rodrigo? Did they tell you I was moved?

Rodrigo: I know, Mama. I had them move you here. How do you like it?

Cora: It’s beautiful, mijo. But how are you paying for it?

Rodrigo: I got a new job, Mama. (pausing as she takes a shallow breath) I brought you some presents. (grabbing his backpack and withdrawing autographed books)

Cora: What is all this?

Rodrigo: I had Callum autograph them for you.

Cora: When do I get to meet him?

Rodrigo (teary-eyed): H-He’s out of the country right now.

Cora: And you’re here with me? You should be with him.

Rodrigo: But Mama…

Cora: He’s your boyfriend, and you should be spending time with him. Lord knows I’m on my way out.

Rodrigo: Don’t talk like that, Mama.

Cora: It’s the truth, Rodrigo. This is a hospice you have me in. You do know what that is?

Rodrigo (turning away as tears flow down his cheeks): Yes, Mama, I know.

Cora: Don’t miss out on a chance for love, Rodrigo. I’m so happy that you found it. I know it’s been a rough time for us both, but the Lord works in mysterious ways. I’m so thankful to Him for giving you someone who loves you.

Rodrigo: Mama, don’t get so excited. It’s—

Cora: It’s wonderful, mijo. You’re living a fairy tale. When you told me how Callum Sutcliffe wanted you to be his bodyguard, I was happy. But when you told he fell in love with you, I knew I could die with no regrets. Make the most of this opportunity you have been given.

Rodrigo would spend the next two weeks trying to make the most of his time with his mother.

TWO DAYS LATER, KYLE’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Kyle was feeling dreadful as no leads had turned up on Heath’s whereabouts. He prayed that he would get word soon. He did not want to call Heath’s mother again, not wanting to worry her or arouse any unwanted suspicion. He was starting to give up hope but needed to remain strong. He threw himself into his work, but that did little to calm his nerves. Where is he? What have I done? Had I simply shown more attention, we would have been married by now, and he’d be safe and sound. Oh, God, please let him be okay wherever he may be. Please send me a sign. At that moment, the doorbell rang. He rushed to it, finding Bralen on the other side, smiling.

Bralen: Good morning.

Kyle: Hi. (gesturing for him to come inside)

Bralen: How are you holding up? Any word yet?

As he kept up this lie, Bralen felt terrible as he witnessed how it had practically devastated Kyle. He wanted to go over to Kyle, hold him, assure him that he would be safe in his arms, that he needn’t anyone like Heath in his life. For his part, Bralen knew that Heath was not doing well at the rehab clinic. He knew one of the nurses that worked there, and as she was into fitness, he had bribed her with an annual pass to his pilates studio. She kept him informed of Heath’s progress, and so far he had remained sequestered in his room, the doctors keeping a close tab on him in light of his suicide attempt.

Kyle (despondently): Nothing. None of the hospitals have him. None of his buddies at the fire station have seen him. Thank God the morgue doesn’t have him, but this uncertainty is just killing me. I need to find him, Bralen.

Kyle’s eyes began to water and he fought back tears. Good Charlotte’s “Where Would We Be” begins playing in the background as Bralen comes over to offer him a warm embrace. Kyle felt the tenderness, resting his head upon Bralen’s shoulder. Bralen held onto him, likewise, feeling the gentleness of their connection in which he wanted to lose himself. This is how it should be. We would make a great couple. You should be with someone who understands you and appreciates the love you have to give, not someone who disregarded your affection, cheated on you behind your back, and ruined not only your life but mine as well.

Kyle (separating himself): Thanks again, Bralen.

Bralen (looking him in the eyes): Anytime. (placing his hand on Kyle’s shoulder) I’m here for you. Everything’s going to be okay.

Kyle went to sit on the couch, flipping the remote and the screen comes onto coverage of the Olympics. He fumbles with the remote to quickly change the channel.

Bralen: You don’t have to do that on my part.

Kyle: Sorry. I know it can’t be easy.

Bralen: Hey, I’m over it. I even watched some of it last night.

Kyle: Really?

Bralen (forced animation): Yeah, how about that Michel Phillips, that French-Canadian swimmer. I think he might break the record he set for these games.

Kyle (looking at Bralen): You’re a great sport about this. I’m so sorry about everything.

Bralen: It’s not your fault, Kyle. Heath did this all on his own.

Kyle: You do realize he wasn’t himself.

He expects me to forgive the bastard for ruining my life’s dream. Even after he had drugged me and before the news had broken, Heath was treating me like shit. I remember that time I went over to Tristan’s to tell him about winning the Pride Run, and I found Heath there, all smug. No wonder! He knew what he had done. I’ll never forgive him.

Bralen: I know, Kyle.

Kyle: So you understand? (pause) Can you forgive him?

Bralen (taking Kyle’s hand and looking into his eyes): Of course I can… and have. I just want him back safe and sound. It really pains me to see you like this, Kyle. You’re one of the most decent guys I know. (hearing the doorbell ring) I’ll get it. (opening it to appearance of Nathan outside) Nathan, what brings you by?

Nathan: I came to check on Kyle. (coming inside) How’s it going?

Kyle (rising from couch): I’m fine.

Nathan: I’m sorry about Heath. Have you heard anything since we last spoke?

Kyle (looking awkwardly at Bralen, then sighing): No.

Bralen (feeling uneasy): Would anyone like some coffee? (seeing Nathan nod, he goes into kitchen)

Nathan (to Kyle): I can’t believe you kept this from me this long.

Kyle: I told it to you in the strictest confidence. (deeply sighing) He left a note that sounded suicidal.

Nathan (hesitantly): Are you sure?

Kyle: I know he wouldn’t do it. If he were gone, I would feel it. (his hand ostentatiously rotating the ring on his finger)

Nathan: Isn’t that the wedding band I helped you pick out?

Kyle: Heath is wearing the other one.

Nathan: What?

Kyle: That’s how I know he still loves me. He wouldn’t remove it. We’re connected this way.

Nathan: Wow! I wonder what Tristan thinks of Heath wearing your ring. (looking up to see Bralen bringing in coffee)

Bralen: What’s this about a ring?

Kyle (hesitantly): It’s the wedding ring I had intended for Heath. (to Nathan) I don’t give a damn what Tristan thinks… besides he’s out of the country at Vittoria’s funeral.

At the reference to Vittoria, Kyle noticed how Nathan’s expression completely changed. He attributed it to the fact this was the woman who attempted to kill him and who had successfully killed Peyton. He hadn’t realized that Nathan was uneasy about the possibility that Vittoria had worked for Brendon.

Nathan: The details about his woman are still coming out.

Bralen (gauchely): You mean her possible relationship with Brendon?

Nathan (looking uneasily at them both): I confronted him about her. He’s denying everything.

Bralen: Do you believe him?

Kyle: This is exactly what I didn’t want to happen, Nathan. I didn’t want you hurt by all this.

Nathan: You’re an honorable man, Kyle, but I have to remind myself that these are allegations. He’s innocent until proven guilty.

Bralen: You’re right, Nathan. Kyle is an honorable man, but if these allegations are true, what you are going to do?

Nathan (sighing): I don’t know. A part of me will always love him, but I can’t be with someone who lies to me. (to Kyle) Has your department unearthed anything on these claims?

Kyle: I really haven’t looked into it since Heath’s disappearance.

Nathan: Kyle, I’m really sorry about this. I know how much you love him. I’m here for you if you need—

Bralen (cutting him off): He’s got me.

Kyle (to Nathan): Yeah. Bralen’s been a blessing to me, keeping me sane.

Nathan (reaching over to touch Kyle): All the same, I want to be there as well. You’re my best friend, and Lord knows you’ve been there for me in my darkest hours. (rising) I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Nathan left and then Kyle and Bralen finished their coffee before each left for work.

SANTA MONICA OUTRUNNERS LOCATION, WEDNESDAY EVENING, BLUFFS

A few days passed with Kyle’s depression worsening. Bralen convinced him to come with him to the Wednesday night run in Santa Monica, where Kyle saw many of his fellow Outrunners, including Allison and Brendon, who were present along with Austin, Drake, and many others. Jeremy Dodd was the host, and upon noting the time on his watch as 6:30 pm, he called everyone to order, and they all assembled into the traditional circle.

Jeremy: All right, everyone, let’s get started. Welcome to the Wednesday night training run. Are there any announcements?

Austin (beating Brendon to the chase): Don’t forget about the special Saturday morning LAOR presidential election. It’ll be held at the Griffith Park location.

Allison (chiming in): I encourage everyone to come and show their support for the club. I also wish to remind everyone of our annual Pasadena Rose Bowl potluck next week.

Austin (to Drake): That’ll be the perfect time and location to celebrate my victory.

Drake (to Jeremy): And don’t forget to mention the Proposition 8 event next month.

Jeremy: Thank you, Drake, for reminding me.

Austin (to Drake): Good one, Babe.

Jeremy: As many of you know, our community is under harsh attack, particularly regarding our right to marry. I’m organizing a fundraiser against this atrocity along with the help of Austin and Callum.

Brendon (to Allison): Has he lost his mind, enlisting their help?

Jeremy: The event takes place on the Will Rogers Pier with the S.S. Camaraderie generously offering as the venue.

Bralen: They’re reopening? I thought the city had shut them down for violations.

Austin: That was just a temporary setback. Everything will go as planned (sotto voce) including my victory.

Jeremy: It’s important that you all attend these events.

Austin (slithering beside Brendon): Got your concession speech ready? Or are you planning on writing it in prison?

Brendon: Go to hell, Austin!

Austin: There’s no way I can lose with all the mud slung on this club by your late-night job and Allison’s anger issues.

Brendon: I’m not going down without a fight.

Austin: More like you’ll be going down on someone in the slammer.

Allison (coming behind Brendon): Pay no attention to him. No one else does. We’re free of Callum but have to deal with yet another nuisance.

Jeremy (coming behind them): Is everything okay? I hope you guys aren’t planning on overworking Austin. He’s been great with the prep for this event. (patting Austin’s shoulders) You all have a good run.

Bralen (rushing up to Kyle): Are you up to running five miles?

Kyle (sighing): I hate you dragged me here.

Bralen: You needed to get some air. You’re too much of a workaholic.

Kyle (kicking pebbles in front of him): I think I’m going to walk.

Bralen: I’ll walk with you.

Kyle (looking sourly at him): I’ll be a complete bore.

Bralen: I don’t mind. You really need a friend right now.

Kyle: I just wish Nathan could have joined us. He’s feeling just as bad as me wanting to stay indoors.

Bralen: I hope he comes to the run on Saturday. He and Brendon may be on the outs, but we need all the support we can get if we’re to beat Austin at his game.

Jeremy (coming up behind them): Bralen, would you like to lead us in a stretching session afterwards?

Bralen (hesitant at first but then looks at Kyle): I-I’d be delighted.

Everyone soon took their leave, and Bralen and Kyle walked silently together toward the pier.

ESTRELLA’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, LATER THAT EVENING

Estrella and Brendon sat across from each other. Estrella had her legs crossed, looking inflammably seductive in her black mini-skirt and blouse.

Estrella: So you think he’s a good enough fall guy?

Brendon (looking at photograph on coffee table): He’s got a lot to lose if he doesn’t agree to take the heat for the operation.

Estrella; What about the police?

Brendon: I’m sure they’ll follow the leads I’ve planted.

Estrella: Like what?

Brendon: I guess you didn’t read today’s news. (handing her the newspaper)

Estrella: You didn’t have the Hollycove Tribune burned down!

Brendon: There was evidence in there that connected me to Vittoria.

Estrella: Like what?

Brendon: Callum said something about Vittoria’s diary. I don’t know exactly what was in it, but it was definitely incriminating.

Estrella: Callum? Where’s that asshole?

Brendon: To my understanding, he’s out of the country, which gives us time to clean up the mess he started. We have to cover all my bases.

Estrella: None of your high-end clients will say anything?

Brendon: No, they won’t… and neither will any of those that worked for me!

DR. SHOAI’S PRIVATE PRACTICE OFFICE, HOLLYWOOD, FRIDAY LATE AFTERNOON

Dr. Shoai: I ask this of all my couples’ clients. What is the goal you both wish to achieve in therapy?

Allison (exchanging a brief look with Chloe): I-I just want her to know that I care for her and that I won’t ever do anything to jeopardize what he have.

Dr. Shoai (to Chloe): And you, Chloe? What is it you wish to achieve?

Chloe: I’m here to show my support for Allison. I know she’s working hard on resolving her issues.

Dr. Shoai: Just so I’m—we’re all—clear, what are they?

Chloe (looking at Allison): I-I—

Allison: It’s okay, honey. We can talk freely here.

Chloe: I would like for her to start putting our relationship first.

Dr. Shoai (to Chloe): You think she doesn’t?

Chloe: She’s a busy professional so I understand that sometimes I can’t be her number one priority. B-But it’s the other times that I feel—

Allison: What other times?

Chloe: You know what I mean.

Allison: You’re talking about Callum.

Chloe: I just wish you would leave him out of our lives.

Allison: Honey, he’s not even in the country. Haven’t you seen how calm and relaxing it’s been these past few days?

Chloe: But it could be that way if you wouldn’t insinuate yourself into his life all the time.

Dr. Shoai (to Chloe): So you feel that Allison is taking time away from your relationship to concentrate on her grudge with Callum?

Chloe: Ever since he’s come into our lives, he’s taken up her time and energy.

Dr. Shoai: Do you feel that way, Allison?

Allison: Kian, it’s no surprise that I don’t like the man. He’s the primary reason we have so much turmoil in this relationship. (to Chloe) I’ve told you I feel he’s behind the attacks on us in the park.

Chloe: Allison, you know it was that dreadful woman who killed Peyton.

Dr. Shoai (to Allison): So you feel justified in your actions against Mr. Sutcliffe?

Allison: I’m protecting those I love (turning to Chloe, placing a hand on her) and that includes you.

Dr. Shoai: Do you feel protected, Chloe?

Chloe: I’m not some fragile kitten that needs coddling.

Allison: You’ve been through a lot. Honey, you lost a baby.

Chloe: Yes, our baby was taken from us.

Allison: And that’s why I’m protecting you from the bastard responsible…so that it won’t happen again.

Chloe: It can’t happen again. I’m barren, remember?

Allison (going to hold her): This has been a difficult time for us both.

Dr. Shoai (handing Chloe some tissues): Chloe, do you feel you have a support system?

Chloe: Until recently I had been very selfish, feeling that I was in this alone, but then Nathan came to visit me the other day.

Allison (surprisingly): Nathan?

Chloe (to Dr. Shoai for clarification): Nathan is the father of my baby.

Allison (sharing a quick look with Dr. Shoai as the hot subject of Nathan is introduced, turns to Chloe): W-When did he come visit you?

Chloe: The day after he had interrupted breakfast at our home. I was all set to be cruel to him.

Dr. Shoai: And why is that?

Chloe: Because he and Allison share this bond that always makes me feel rejected and unwanted.

Allison: Chloe!

Chloe: Allison, we’ve had this conversation several times. Nathan has some sort of a hold over you.

Allison: That’s ridiculous!

Dr. Shoai: Now, Allison, allow Chloe to make her argument. You’ll have your turn shortly.

Allison: Kian!

Dr. Shoai: Allison, this is an open forum. (turning to Chloe) Why do you feel this way, Chloe?

Chloe: I know she and Nathan share a history before me, but he’s always been able to “sway” her.

Dr. Shoai: What do you mean?

Chloe: After my first two miscarriages, I wanted to try again, but Allison wasn’t really supportive until Nathan said he would be the sperm donor.

Allison: Chloe, that doesn’t change the way I feel about you. I-I was just happy for you, and we would have a greater connection to the child, knowing its biological father.

Chloe: What difference does that make? Until Nathan agreed, you were practically dissuading me from another attempt.

Allison: Honey, I—

Chloe: Don’t even deny it. You were happy, yeah, that you would have a connection to the child’s father.

Allison: Where is this coming from? You’re starting to sound like Callum.

Chloe: Everything always comes back to him, doesn’t it? And the only reason you’re really against him is because he’s interested in Nathan. Your passion only surges when it involves Nathan.

Allison (indignantly rising): How could you say that?

Chloe (rising also): Because I feel in my heart that your priorities aren’t straight. You devote more energy to both Callum and Nathan than to me. Did you ever stop to think how I felt the other day when Nathan came by?

Dr. Shoai: Ladies, please sit down.

Allison (ignoring him): You seemed fine with it. You even went for a walk.

Chloe: He came over to our home—emotionally distraught—and you were more than willing to offer him a shoulder. You couldn’t wait to get me out the house.

Dr. Shaoi: Ladies—

Chloe (ignoring him): And why did you think I left? I couldn’t stand there and watch you comforting him.

Dr. Shoai: Ladies, let’s calm down. I would like you both to sit down. (once they have sat, turning to Chloe) Chloe, why didn’t you indicate to Allison your real feelings?

Chloe: There’s no reasoning with her when it comes to him.

Dr. Shoai: Don’t you think that a little unfair? How is she to know if you don’t tell her?

Chloe: She knew I needed her, but as soon as he showed up, I came in second just as I always do. Nathan’s problems became her top priority. What else was I to do? I couldn’t just sit there and watch her coddle him, be there for him… like she should be for me!

Dr. Shoai: So you chose to turn away instead of—

Chloe (cutting him off): I chose to go somewhere I would be welcomed.

Dr. Shoai: And where was this?

Chloe looked over to Allison and then remained silent, bowing her head as her eyes fell on her twiddling thumbs.

Allison: You went to Estrella’s! (seeing Chloe’s astonished face) Yeah, I know. I saw you leaving her house the evening of the Board meeting. The nerve of you throwing Nathan in my face when you—

Chloe: Don’t you dare compare Nathan with her!

Allison: There is no comparison. He and I have an understanding.

Chloe: So do Estrella and me!

Allison: And what is that? Sex?

Chloe: I can’t believe you would bring this up here. Are you going to continue holding that mistake over my head? So she and I had sex! I have apologized to you a million times. Are you that insecure that you can’t trust me around her?

Allison: Chloe, you’re being naïve. She’s using you.

Chloe: You know I have never said hurtful things about your friends.

Allison: She’s not your friend. And besides that, you don’t sleep with your friends.

Chloe: Well, it’s a good thing Nathan’s gay… otherwise you’d be eating your own words. (rising from the couch, looking at Dr. Shoai) Thank you for your time, Doctor, but right now, I can’t have a civil conversation with her when she’s like this. (storms out the room to Allison shouting for her to return)

Allison takes a deep sigh and soon shares a brief look with Dr. Shoai, knowing that she had some partial blame for the turbulent outcome of their therapy session.

SATURDAY MORNING, GRIFFITH PARK

The members of Los Angeles Outrunners had just finished their respective runs and walks, meeting in the community room near the park ranger’s station. An assortment of breakfast foods was laid on the table, including heated selections of eggs, sausages, and veggies from Bernie’s Patisserie. The place was filled to capacity with a larger number of senior runners/walkers who showed up especially for the election. Brendon soon called the meeting together, noting that Nathan was nowhere in the audience. Everyone quieted down, and Secretary Mike Kirkland passed out the ballots as Allison stood silently in the corner. Thirty minutes later saw the last ballot submitted and the last drop of coffee poured from the carafe. All the pastries had been consumed, crumbs scattered over the serving platters. Allison and the rest of the Board were worried as there had always been an excess of food left at meetings.

At that moment, Drake came into the room, carrying several bags of pastries and coffee from Starbucks, much to the delight of many LAOR members. Allison thought it was a stunt on Austin’s part to further ingratiate himself with the membership body when twenty minutes later Austin was declared the victor. Brendon seemingly took his defeat with dignity, ostentatiously shaking Austin’s hand.

Brendon: You ran a good campaign. I hope you do the club proud.

Austin (sotto voce): I won’t tarnish its image as you’ve done. (aloud to the audience) I’m honored that you have chosen me to lead this club. I will make sure all voices are heard.

Bralen: There’s one voice I’m glad not be hearing this morning, and that’s Callum’s.

Austin had to make a show of reminding Bralen that all club members were important, but inwardly he couldn’t have agreed more with Bralen, which was why it would be Austin’s first order of duty to remove Callum from the club.

RODRIGO’S APARTMENT, HOLLYWOOD, SATURDAY MORNING

Rodrigo had the worst two weeks of his life in Riverside with his mother’s health steadily declining. Having received news from his boss Gus that the office had been ransacked and set afire, he was too preoccupied with his mother to fully grasp the impact of the news. Upon getting into town, Rodrigo no longer thought about the Hollycove Tribune and its condition because as he swerved his car onto the next boulevard, his eyes immediately took in the physical state of his torched, burned-down apartment.

NATHAN AND BRENDON’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, SATURDAY MORNING

It had been an agonizing week for Nathan, remaining distant from Brendon. He felt a cloak of depression sweeping over him. He had gone hiking in Runyon Canyon and running in Silver Lake instead of Griffith Park the past Tuesday. He had even ran up and down the coast of Santa Monica and Venice, hoping the sea breeze would calm his inner turmoil, but the scenery instead made him feel more solitary as he had seen many couples together and families out enjoying the last weeks of summer. On Saturday morning, his lonesomeness had reached a crescendo, and he found himself driving in the direction of Hollycove Estates, arriving at Callum’s home.

Godfrey duly informed him that Callum wouldn’t return for several more days. Crestfallen, Nathan swallowed his pride and drove the short distance to the neighboring house he knew so well. Brendon’s car wasn’t in the drive. I should go home. There’s no need to stay here. I’m not sure I should even be here, but there was recent news coverage that someone else had come forward to admit he was behind the high-end prostitution ring. Maybe Brendon’s telling the truth. I should hear him out. I’ll wait for him.

Nathan got out the car and entered the house. He had been inside no more than half a minute before an unexpected voice from the stairs startled him.

Justin: What the hell are you doing here?

Nathan: I could ask you the same thing. I thought you were away at—

Justin (cutting him off): That didn’t work out. You see I just couldn’t leave my dad all alone like you did!

Nathan: So you’re claiming him now?

Justin: He doesn’t need you, Nathan. He doesn’t even want you back.

Nathan: You’re loving this, aren’t you?

Justin: What?

Nathan: The fact your father and I are temporarily apart.

Justin: Whatever! He knows not to trust you.

Nathan: What is it you have against me? I’ve done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

Justin (coming to him, face to face): You tore my family apart and probably turned my dad queer.

Nathan (throwing his hands up): I don’t need to hear this. (turning to go)

Justin: And Brendon doesn’t need you. He’s got me.

Nathan (turning back): Well, I hope you two manage to find the truth on top of the lies you started.

Justin: If it weren’t for you, my mom and dad would still be together. I know that’s the truth.

Nathan: You’re delusional if you think that. Brendon and I met long after he left you with his sister.

Justin: What did you just say?

Nathan (realizing his error): Nothing. Look, I should go. (heads to door, but Justin grabs his arm)

Justin (urgently): She wasn’t my mother?

Nathan: Let go of my arm, Justin.

Justin: Just answer my fucking question!

Nathan (jerking his arm away): No. Eileen was your aunt. (heavy sighing) I shouldn’t have told you that. It’s not my place.

Justin (tears coming into his eyes): You got that right. It’s not your place, and you have no place here in this family.

Nathan (taking note of how unsettled Justin is): Perhaps I should stay until Brendon gets back.

Justin: Just go! Get the hell out of here! I can’t stand to look at you.

Nathan (pulling out his cell): I’ll call him.

Justin (knocking the phone out of his grasp): You’re not talking to him at all! You’ll only upset him more. You’ve already caused enough problems with your walking out.

Nathan (picking up phone from floor): I love your father, Justin. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt him. And as for this secret, I think it’s best you know the truth. I admit that Brendon should have been the one to tell you.

Justin (confronting him): Just go!

Nathan (opening the door): Tell him I came by.

Justin: You can bet I won’t.

Nathan (turning around): Look, Justin, I really want this to work out between us. I don’t want you hating me.

Justin: There’s nothing you can do about it. Now go! Or do I have to call the police and tell them a different story this time?

Nathan left, hearing the door slammed behind him.

ALLISON AND CHLOE’S HOME, LOS FELIZ, SATURDAY MORNING

After the disaster that was the therapy session, Chloe remained uncommunicative with Allison, opting to stay inside her room. She hesitated leaving the house but chose to stay the morning of the special election. Waiting until Allison had left, she rose, showered, and made coffee. Even the caffeine couldn’t jolt her system from feeling so sluggish and miserable. How could Allison do this to me? How could she say those things? Chloe just wanted to numb the pain… go back to sleep where she wouldn’t have to think of it. She went to the bathroom, saw the medicine cabinet, and thought about taking some sleeping pills. She took one of them and lied down, praying she wouldn’t have any dreams about the fiasco that was her relationship. Though secretly wishing to take several pills, she definitely would have wished to stay asleep, for the next time she woke, it would be to a living nightmare.

NATHAN AND BRENDON’S HOME, SILVER LAKE

Nathan hated what he had said to Justin, knowing he would inadvertently cause trouble for Brendon. Against Justin’s wishes, he rang Brendon, receiving an icy response that he couldn’t talk right now. Nathan hadn’t known that it was because he had just lost the club election. Nathan had not wanted to go and opted instead to mail in his vote.

It was nearing eleven, which meant it was still early for the bars, and against his better judgment, he went back to his home in Silver Lake, drawn to the wine cellar, where he chose the first bottle he saw. He looked at it, wanting to throw it against the wall. I need something stronger than wine. Where’s the vodka? Robbie Williams’ “Feel” begins playing as he goes in search of it. Once he finds the bottle, he trudges back up to the living room, turns on the TV to what else but Olympic coverage. As he began drinking the vodka straight from the bottle, he looked at the photos in the house, those of him with Brendon, images of their happy life together. Are we a lie? Everything I felt for you was true. I stood by you even when you were practically dead to the world. He continued to drink himself into a stupor and then foolishly decided to go for a ride in the car.

ALLISON AND CHLOE’S HOME, LOS FELIZ, EARLY AFTERNOON

Allison arrived home around one, having recovered from the mess that was the election. She and Brendon had demanded a recount, which they conducted there on the spot. The second time still proved victorious for Austin. She came home, nauseated and upset to have him as the new leader of the club. It had taken over an hour to clean up the community room, and she spent most of it talking with Brendon, attempting to reassure that all would be well.

She knew that Chloe was upstairs, probably still upset over the therapy session. She was about to get a glass of wine when there came the peal of the doorbell, which didn’t stop ringing. The noise was annoying as if someone’s hand were continuously pressing the button. She initially thought it was some kid pulling a prank, but she never expected to see the perpetrator as Nathan, who nearly fell onto her when she opened the door. She smelled the alcohol on him as he stumbled into the house.

Allison: Nathan! My God, what’s wrong?

Nathan: Ev-Everythnig! M-My life’s completely fucked up!

Allison (reacting to the rarity of hearing profanity from Nathan): What is it? Did Brendon tell you about the election?

Nathan (troubling to maintain his balance): W-What? No—(collapsing onto the floor)

Allison (pulling him up): Nathan, it isn’t like you to get this way. You didn’t drive over here like this?

Nathan: I-I was v-very careful.

Allison: I’ll get you some coffee. (turning to go to kitchen) You need to sober up.

Nathan (grabbing her arm, yanking her back): I-I really wanted to th-thank you f-for everything.

Allison: Here, you sit down on the couch. I’m going to get you—Nathan, I need my arm back. Nathan! (reacting to his yanking forcefully on her arm as she falls onto the couch)

Nathan: I’m so messed up. No one wants me… not Brendon, not Justin—

Allison: You always have me.

Nathan (his drunken eyes locking with hers): Have you ever wondered if—

She didn’t need for him to finish as she knew what he was about to say. Her right hand went to cradle his face, feeling the stubble in the palm of her hand, her fingertips sensing his skin’s hypnotic warmth.

Allison (softly): I have, Sweetheart, but we know you belong with Brendon.

Nathan (drawing nearer to her face): H-He doesn’t want me.

His mouth met with hers, and Allison instantly closed her eyes, thinking back to the last time her lips had touched his. It had been ages. She knew he was under the influence and her hands went to task trying to pry him from her. Nathan, for his part, only sought connection with another person, having found no substitute with Callum’s absence, who would have readily provided him the companionship he needed. To his mind, he was not kissing Allison but fulfilling a need to show he could love. He felt her resistance and responded accordingly, his mouth applying a more passionate force, his tongue and lips working in tandem to secure her surrender. She couldn’t hold back the power of her adolescent dreams, her right hand now cradling the back of his head as she gave in, feeling a sweet victory over the years of repression, but just as her conscience took hold, it was too late.

Chloe had awakened, descended the stairs and came into the room, standing petrified at the scene before her. The couch where she had mistakenly betrayed Allison was now the locus of what appeared to be Allison’s intentional retribution. Once her eyes connected with Allison’s, Chloe darted away, seizing the nearest set of car keys on the key rack. The last image she saw through the open front door as she pulled out the drive was that of Allison stumbling over a fallen Nathan as she attempted to stop her from rightfully leaving.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: