Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 38: “I’d Do Anything for You”

It had been a long day for Heath, but he found himself feeling better once he started taking Lindsay’s advice, making sure to take his meds, consume three meals a day, and attend his therapy sessions. He was due to have private counseling with Dr. Shoai tomorrow, and he was looking forward to that. Aside from the disturbing incident with Trey and the nurse in the closet, he was ready to mark it off as a good day; however, as he turned the corner to go to his room, he ran into Trey, who had a foreboding expression on his face that deeply unsettled Heath.

Trey: Heath, I need to speak with you.

Heath: Sure. What is it?

Trey: I’d appreciate it if you kept quiet about what you saw in the closet. I don’t want that getting out.

Heath: As if Lindsay didn’t already blab about it in group last week.

Trey: No one puts much into what Lindsay says. She’s pretty much a regular here so her credibility’s shot.

Heath: All the same, Trey, don’t you think you should—you know—hold off on that stuff? I mean that’s the reason you’re here… to fight that addiction, not indulge in it.

Trey: So now you’re the expert? When’d you get your fucking PhD?

Heath: Look, your secret is safe with me. I won’t say anything.

Trey (getting in his face): You better not… if you know what’s good for you. You don’t have Lindsay looking out for you now.

Trey turned on his heel and walked down the hall. Heath pushed his way into his room, bee lining straight for the bed, ready to cry himself to sleep. When rest finally came to him, visions of Kyle calmed his beleaguered mind.

LAKE TAHOE CABIN, EARLY MORNING, 4 A.M.

The Weepies’ “World Spins Madly On” softly plays as Kyle rises from the bed, totally nude, Bralen’s drowsy hand reaching over to steal the pillow now made available. They had finished making love, both exhausted by the action, and Kyle desired some alone time to fully digest what had happened. He slipped into some boxers and stepped outside the cabin, feeling the cool night air against his sweaty skin. He took a deep breath, casting his mind back to the moment they had arrived. Bralen showed him around the cabin, they unpacked, and then sat on the couch, Kyle raking his hands through his hair as he released a deep sigh.

Bralen: Long night, eh?

Kyle: All I need is some rest.

Bralen: You’ll get plenty of R&R here. The view is amazing. You’ll see when the sun rises.

Kyle: Thanks again.

Bralen: Don’t mention it. We both needed to get away from LA.

Kyle: Yeah, we did. (looking him in the eyes) I can’t remember the last time I did something so spontaneously.

Bralen: I’m all about the spontaneity. (leaning in to kiss him)

Kyle: Br—(at first tries to push him away but then gives in)

Bralen climbed atop Kyle, kissing him passionately as his hands worked to pull off Kyle’s shirt. His mouth and tongue swept a quick marathon of Kyle’s upper body, suddenly feeling tension arise in it.

Bralen (looking deeply into his eyes): Please don’t fight it. I know you want it.

Kyle (whispering): I do.

Bralen: Then what’s wrong? (lowering himself off the couch and onto his knees)

Seconds later saw them reenacting a carnal deed they had done twice before, each time with unexpected interruptions. This time around they had the benefit of privacy and distance that finally aided them in taking the action to the next level. Kyle accepted a phenomenal blowjob from Bralen, who masterfully engulfed his manhood and adroitly jerked his shaft. Kyle then raised Bralen up, led him to the bed where he mounted him with the wildest of passion raging through his loins. Kyle found him to be just as accommodating with this aspect of sex as he was with fellatio, and Bralen’s vocal reactions further aroused Kyle’s mission to get himself off, driving himself deep into Bralen, whose fit frame seemed indestructible to any display of rough sex.

They went through a series of positions before finally settling on doggy which went perfectly with the heat of the moment. It afforded Kyle the advantage of not having to look Bralen in the eye and know that he was being unfaithful to Heath, yet that did little to keep him from really giving it to Bralen, moans and grunts providing a natural soundtrack to the evening. Kyle realized he had so much pent-up energy which was clearly evidenced when he climaxed a copious load. His recollection of what happened afterward was broken by Bralen coming out onto the cabin’s verandah.

Bralen: What are you doing out here?

Kyle: I couldn’t sleep. Too much on my mind.

Bralen: You mean to tell me I didn’t wear you out.

Kyle: No. You were incredible. (pause) I haven’t felt this way since—

Bralen (coming over to him): Come on. (taking his hand) Let’s go inside.

Kyle: I was thinking about Nathan. He’s lost someone very important in his life. I know what that’s like.

Bralen: He’s got his family. (kissing him) And you’ve got me.

Kyle: Even so I want to be there for him.

Bralen: We’ll head back tomorrow. (playfully reaching his hand inside Kyle’s boxers) Until then you’re stuck with me.

Kyle (looking down at his crotch and then up to Bralen’s eyes) Don’t you mean stuck to you? (laughs and then kisses him before they both go back inside)

NATHAN AND BRENDON’S HOME, SILVER LAKE, EARLIER THAT NIGHT

Justin had been enjoying his new freedom. Though he hated Hollycove Preparatory School, it was a breath of fresh air to be able to see it as for several weeks, he hadn’t been able to go farther than his front or backyard. After spending some time on campus with his teachers and getting a formal orientation, he welcomed the hustle and bustle of Hollywood. He spent much time up and down Hollywood Boulevard, basking in his liberty. He tried calling Enid, but she wouldn’t pick up her phone. Maybe we’ll finally get a chance to get together and do something. She does have a point about Brendon. He may not like us together, but I don’t care what he wants.

It was during later in the evening that he remembered he had promised Brendon he would pay Nathan a visit to offer his condolences. How ironic that he loses a father, and I found out I had one! I don’t care to see this douche bag, but until Callum comes through for me, I need to placate Brendon. Justin found his way through the hills of Silver Lake, coming upon the house he knew Brendon and Nathan to have shared some years before purchasing the current one. He pushed through the fence and was heading toward the front door when out of the blue someone came careening around the side corner of the house and slammed into a tree. Knocked off guard and disoriented by the impact, the dark figure pulled off the ski mask to better seek out his escape. This however did little to keep him from running right into Justin, the gun falling to the ground along with Justin, who had the wind knocked out of him.

Justin was paralyzed with shock, and this afforded Rodrigo the opportunity to grasp the weapon and make a speedy exit. Justin picked himself up, grabbing the ski mask. At that moment, Nathan threw open the front door and rushed out onto the porch. From inside the house someone had switched on a set of lights that illuminated the entire front yard.

Nathan: Justin! What are you doing—(suddenly seeing the ski mask in the boy’s hand) You little bastard! (rushes down the steps to forcefully take him by the arm)

Allison (rushing outside): Nathan! Did you catch—

Justin: Let go of me!

Nathan: Not this time! I’m tired of being terrorized by you. (pulling him forward) I’m calling the police.

Siobhan (coming outside): Nattie, is everything all right?

Nathan: Go back inside, Ma. It’s not safe out here.

Justin (trying to break away): Will you fucking let go of me?

Nathan: Watch your language around my mother!

Allison (seeing Brendon’s car pull up, goes over to Siobhan): Come on, let’s get back inside.

Brendon (getting out the car, seeing Nathan restraining Justin): Hey! What’s going on?

Nathan (still gripping onto the back of Justin’s shirt): Your son here just tried to kill again and nearly gave my mother a heart attack.

Brendon: What are you talking about?

Nathan: We were in the kitchen. Ma said she saw someone looking through the window with a gun pointed at us.

Justin: it wasn’t me! (looking to Brendon) Honest! I didn’t do it.

Nathan (snatching the ski mask from Justin): Ma said he was wearing a ski mask.

Justin: That’s not mine!

Nathan: Then whose is it? You had it in your hands when I came out here.

Justin: Some guy had it on. He came around the corner there (pointing in said direction) and took it off.

Nathan (to Brendon): The boy’s a pathological liar. He’s gone too far this time, threatening the life of my mother. I’m calling the police.

Brendon: Nathan, that won’t be necessary.

Nathan: I didn’t find a gun on him, but I haven’t checked his backpack. I’m sure it was a just a toy, but I—

Brendon: Nathan, why don’t you just calm down?

Nathan: I want him away from me and my family! Now!

Brendon: Justin, get in the car.

Justin: But, Dad—

Brendon: I said get in the car! Now!

Justin (reluctantly moving to get into car): I’m telling you I didn’t do it. (gets inside and closes door)

Brendon: Nathan, I’m really sorry. I didn’t know that he would do this. I only asked him to come give his condolences.

Nathan (angrily): You sent him over here? (shouting) You knew the boy tried to kill me! Was once not good enough for you?

Brendon: Nathan, it’s not like that. God! I care for you. I would never—

Nathan: Just get the hell away from me. And if I ever see Justin around here again, I promise you I’ll have him arrested. He really needs help. I suggest you get him some. (furiously turns away)

Brendon: Nathan, please! Let’s talk about this. (watches as he ignores him, goes inside and slams door)

Brendon turned, sighed, and went to the car, certain that he would not get a good night’s sleep.

ESTRELLA’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, SAME TIME

Peaches’ “Talk to Me” opens this scene as Chloe sits on the steps outside Estrella’s home, her face tear-stained from their emotional encounter. How could she do this to me? She knows how much I care for her. Why would she throw it all away, and what did she mean when she said she’s at an important point in her life? Was she referring to Tristan? But why? None of this makes any sense. Allison with Nathan and now Estrella with Tristan! Am I some sort of lesbian converter? She continued crying and fought with herself whether to knock on the door and try to reason with Estrella, but she couldn’t find the strength to rise from the steps and simply kept her head in her hands. When she heard a soft voice, she lifted her head to behold the sight of a ravishing redhead.

Lindsay: Are you here to see Estrella?

Chloe (wiping her eyes and nose): Uh—yes—I mean no.

Lindsay: Then why are you out here? (pause) I remember you from the other night.

Chloe (rising from steps): What?

Lindsay: You were here and bumped into me, nearly knocking me down.

Chloe: You know Estrella?

Lindsay (hesitantly): Are you with the press? If I recall correctly, you were looking through her window. Were you looking for me? I knew I couldn’t keep a low profile this soon after rehab.

Chloe: Who are you? And how do you know Estrella?

Lindsay (bluntly): What’s it to you? Are you stalking her?

Chloe (harshly): No, I’m not.

Lindsay: Then how do you know her?

Chloe: W-We’re just friends. (breaks down) I-I have to go. (rushes to her car, gets inside, and speeds off)

MEANWHILE… INSIDE THE HOUSE

As soon as Chloe had left, Estrella sat down on the couch, seizing one of the throw pillows and hugged it as she strove to fight back tears within the privacy of her home. On impulse she rose and closed the curtains to make sure no one could look inside. Oh, Chloe, I’m sorry it had to end this way. I never meant for you to get hurt. I simply can’t take on any additional baggage right now. She went over to bar and poured herself some wine, putting the glass to her lips as her right hand brushed against her abdomen. In one quick gesture she set the glass back down and started crying. She wanted to call Tristan, but then her own phone rang. It was Austin Monroe, wanting to touch base with her about the forthcoming No on Prop 8 event, the passion in his voice eventually galvanizing her out of her torpor.

She promised him that Lindsay was definitely on board and that she undeniably was the right choice, especially as she had pull with the youth demographic that would be needed to effectively combat Proposition 8. After their conversation, she dialed Lindsay’s cell only to learn she was in the vicinity, finishing a long overdue shopping spree on Rodeo Drive. Estrella lied back on the couch, turned the TV onto some mindless reality show, and nearly fell asleep when the doorbell rang, announcing Lindsay’s arrival.

Estrella (closing the door after Lindsay enters): Thanks for coming over so late.

Lindsay: No problem. I was outside talking to your stalker.

Estrella: Pardon?

Lindsay: There was some woman sitting on the steps outside. I recognized her from the other night when I dropped by. Is she your secret admirer?

Estrella: No. (crossing to the bar) Can I get you something to drink?

Lindsay: Do the letters DUI mean anything to you?

Estrella: That’s right. You’re just a few days out of rehab. I’ve stopped drinking myself.

Lindsay (pointing to glass of wine at bar): Then what’s that? Was it for her, your secret admirer?

Estrella (peevishly): For the last time, she’s not my secret admirer! We’re just friends! (turns away)

That’s funny. I got the same reaction from that woman outside. Something’s not right, but I’ll play along for now. Lindsay then saw Estrella compose herself, and the women sat down to civilly discuss the benefit and Lindsay’s part in it.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, THIRTY MINUTES LATER

Rodrigo made it home in record time, thankful that the cops didn’t pull him over for his speeding. He rushed inside the mansion and into his room, his heart still racing. It had been a close call. His cover had nearly been blown. I panicked at the last minute with that old woman looking straight at me. I meant her no harm, just Nathan and that Allison bitch. In spite of being inside an air-conditioned setting, Rodrigo was still sweating buckets. He darted into the bathroom, turned on the faucet and splashed cold water on his face. When he wiped his face with the towel and looked in the mirror, there was his mother staring back at him.

Cora: You failed me, Rodrigo. What happened?

Rodrigo: I’m sorry, Mama. I-I couldn’t do it.

Cora: Not even for me? You want me to be happy, right? (seeing him nod) You want my soul to go to heaven? (seeing him nod again) Then you know what you must do.

With those words uttered, her image vanished. Rodrigo exhaled and went to sit on his bed, his butt feeling something hard. He had sat on his jacket that still held the gun. Reaching inside it, he withdrew the weapon and intently stared at it. Mama’s right. I have to do this if I want to be happy. I can’t let Nathan get to Callum. There can be no mix-ups. I don’t think that kid saw me, but if he did, I’ll have to silence him as well.

BRENDON AND NATHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, NEXT MORNING

It had been a rough night for Justin. The drive back home was eerily silent, but once they made it home Brendon lashed at him with unparalleled ferocity. It was if all the schmoozing up to him didn’t matter at all as Justin tried every tactic but all proved unsuccessful. Brendon was absolutely livid with him for his supposed attack on Nathan. Justin couldn’t get his point across and consequently went upstairs to bed. When morning came the argument started again as Justin poured himself some juice, and Brendon had walked into the kitchen, armed with heated words for his wayward son.

Justin: For the last freaking time, I didn’t do anything. I told you it was some guy.

Brendon: What did he look like?

Justin: I don’t know. It was too dark.

Brendon: How convenient for you! (raking his hands through his hair) Dammit, Justin! I only asked you to go over there and offer your condolences… not attempt murder or whatever it was you did.

Justin: I didn’t do anything.

Brendon: Stop lying! You had the ski mask in your hand.

Justin: There you go believing Nathan over me!

Brendon: Don’t you dare play that card with me, kid. You’ve used it one too many times.

Justin: I’m telling the truth!

Brendon: When I think of how much I’ve come to your rescue (balling his fists) to the disadvantage of my relationship with Nathan. We’re already on thin ice, and then you go pull this stunt.

Justin (pleadingly): Dad, please—

Brendon: Don’t even call me that. No son of mine would do this. (angrily shaking his head) I knew I shouldn’t have been so lenient. Nathan warned me about that, but I was too blind to see you are trouble.

Justin: Damn it! I’m telling the truth this time.

Brendon: And this time you’re going to pay the price.

Justin: What?

Brendon: I’m sending you away to—

Justin (not waiting for him to finish):No!

Brendon: It’s either there or down to the police station. (looking at his watch, realizing he’s late) I’ve got to run. (grabbing a bagel on his way out) This is far from over, Justin. I have to do damage control with Nathan, but you’re going to pay for what you’ve done.

Brendon rushed out the house, leaving Justin in a state of unease.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, SAME TIME

Callum had just finished a pleasant breakfast with Enid, who held Edward in her arms. When the clock struck nine, she handed the baby over to him.

Enid: I’m off shopping. You wouldn’t believe all the stuff I need for my place not to mention I haven’t made my autumn wardrobe decisions. I’ll stop by Rodeo Drive on the way back.

Callum: In other words, you’ll be out all day.

Enid: Probably. (looking at him holding Edward) I’m sorry, but you’re not strapping me with him.

Callum: Of all days for Inga to take ill, you pick today for school shopping.

Enid: He’s your son. It’s time you start looking after him. (coming over to kiss Callum on the forehead) Enjoy your time with him now. He’ll be at Eton before you know it.

Callum: And I’ll tell him how his Aunt Enid always pulled a runner when it came time to change his nappies.

Enid (on the way out): It should be about time for that soon.

Callum (hearing the door close, looks down into Edward’s beautiful eyes): I guess it’s just you and me. (reaches over to take a sip of water)

He sat in the chair with Edward, rocking him for about ten minutes when he suddenly began to smell something foul. He raised the baby a few feet in the air, the rancid odor wafting to his nostrils. A frown came over Callum’s face at the task set before him. He didn’t really know what to do but figured he would take Enid’s advice and start looking after him. How bad could it be? He made room on the table, laying a blanket on it and placing Edward on it. Just as he was about to remove the soiled garment, Godfrey came into the room to announce Nathan. Callum said to send him inside, at once picking up Edward, paternally holding the infant as Nathan came into the room.

Nathan: Good morning, Callum. Hope I didn’t come at a bad time.

Callum: It’s fine. You know you’re always welcome here anytime, but you should be at home with your mother.

Nathan: She’s driving me nuts. We both had a rough night. Justin Roberts pulled some sick prank on us last night.

Callum: That kid is atrocious!

Nathan (coming over to Callum, his hand playfully reaching out to touch Edward): Yeah, he’s nothing like this little angel. (seeing Edward smile at him) How is he?

Callum: The fever broke. The doctor said he’s fine now. I’m stuck with him today. Inga’s got some sort of stomach virus.

Nathan (smelling something, hesitantly): Uh, Callum, have you changed him?

Callum (embarrassed): I was just about to. Care to help me?

Nathan (disbelievingly): You’ve never changed him, have you? (seeing the smile of shame) How upper crust English of you! (feeling Callum playfully strike him, laughing) All right! All right! I’m just kidding.

Snow Patrol’s “Crack the Shutters” ) begins playing in the background as their eyes lock, both their faces morphing into smiles. Callum lays Edward back on the blanketed table and reaches for the bag containing the baby supplies.

Callum: I’ll show you I don’t need your help. I can do this on my own. (pulling away the tape and fabric)

Nathan (hesitantly): Callum, are you sure about that? Be careful. He’s a boy.

Callum: What do you mean? Of course he’s a boy. (unleashing an exclamation as a spray of urine splashes into his face)

Nathan (laughing): I tried to warn you. Here, let me do it.

Callum (seizing napkin to wipe his face): By all means, take over. Inga never told me about this.

Nathan: Hand me those wipes.(Callum hands them to him, and holding up the baby’s legs, he cleanses Edward’s bottom) I’m sure it’s happened to her. All boys do it. I’m convinced it’s us men’s first act of macho pride.

Callum (watching as he finishes the task): Look at you, Mr. Moynihan. You’re quite the natural at this. Where’d you learn how to do this?

Nathan: With my newborn nephew. My sister Sinead finally got the hang of it after encountering a few of his geysers.

Callum (looking him in the eye): You’re absolutely incredible.

Nathan (to Edward as he gives him back to Callum, their fingers touching in the process): Time to go back to Daddy. (to Callum) He’s all baby fresh now. What’d you say?

Callum (realizing Nathan hadn’t heard him): Nothing. (pause) Thanks again for coming to my rescue.

Nathan (laughing): No problem. Now you can do it on your own the next time. (watching Callum’s supercilious expression) Or I suppose you could always hire Mary Poppins. (watching Callum laugh, the baby turning around with a cherubic smile on his face)

It was such a picture perfect image that Nathan couldn’t resist leaning in to give Callum a kiss. The unexpected nature of the action made Callum blush as if he were embarrassed that the baby bore witness to such an innocent display of affection.

Nathan (diffidently): I-I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.

Callum: I didn’t mind. Not in the least. Let me put him down in the pram.

Nathan: Here, let me. (reaching for Edward and taking him from Callum) I don’t want you overexerting yourself. (once more playfully struck by Callum) Listen, I wanted to ask you something.

Callum: Sure. What is it?

Nathan: Well, we’re having a private memorial service for Dad tomorrow.

Callum (cutting him off, sadness in his voice): I can’t make it. I promised Rodrigo I would spend the day with him. We’re burying his mum tomorrow.

Nathan: Well, I-I was hoping you could come with me to New York. (seeing Callum’s confusion) Tomorrow is just a memorial for the friends here in LA. The official ceremony will be in New York in a few more days and then we bury him in Ireland.

Callum: That’s a lot of traveling.

Nathan: I know. Too bad Dad can’t cash in those frequent flyer miles he’s racked up. (pause) So can you come with me? I know I’m throwing this on you at the last minute.

Callum: Sure, I’ll come with you.

Nathan: Ma and I leave out tomorrow after the service, but you can come later. (reaches over to hug Callum) Thanks, Callum. You don’t know how much this means to me.

Callum (hesitantly): But what about Brendon?

Nathan (nonchalantly): What about him?

Callum (trying to sound sincere): Nathan, you and he have a history together. He’s close to your mother and knew your father. He should be there with you… not me.

Nathan (fighting back tears): Callum, you’re such an honorable guy, always thinking like that. I told Brendon to stay away. You wouldn’t understand why I have to do that. It’s complicated, and let’s just leave it at that.

Callum (inwardly satisfied): That’s fine with me.

Nathan (taking his hand): Thanks for understanding. I now it seems so odd, the way I’m acting. Ever since I’ve known you, you’ve been nothing but warm, open, and honest with me. I really appreciate that. (raising Callum’s hand to kiss it)

Callum (closing his eyes to hold back tears): Thank you, Nathan.

Nathan: I know it may seem I’m moving too fast, but I know how I feel. You’ll let me know if I’m too much.

Callum gestures to kiss him, at once feeling Nathan’s strong arms surround him, the smell of his intoxicating cologne a welcome sensation. Callum wanted him to never let go, for them to stay locked in that moment of peaceful joy forever. The feeling was short-lived as Godfrey came into the room to remind Callum of his important transatlantic conference call. He looked at Nathan, nonverbally communicating his sadness at having to end their time together. Nathan took his leave, and Callum gladly gave Edward over to Godfrey, telling him to call a nanny agency at once should he encounter any hassle with the infant.

LAKE TAHOE CABIN, MIDAFTERNOON

Kyle had just woken from a relaxing nap, nearly knocking over a wine bottle as he rose from the couch. He checked his watch. It was past three. He yawned, stretched, and looked around for Bralen before he went to his cell phone, finding it inoperable. Surmising that it was a dead battery, he went in search of the charger, bumping into Bralen in a state of nudity as he came out the shower.

Bralen (enthusiastically): Finally, you’re up. You slept through most of the day.

Kyle: That was some night.

Bralen (winking): I know. Guess I succeeded in wearing you out.

Kyle: Yeah, you did. Have you seen my phone charger? I thought I packed it.

Bralen (drying himself with a towel): I haven’t come across it.

Kyle: May I use your phone?

Bralen: Sure, but I fear you may not get good reception.

Kyle: It’s okay. I need to check on Nate. (getting the phone from Bralen)

Bralen: Give him my condolences.

Kyle: Hi, Nate. (pause) Yeah, I know it’s Bralen’s number. My phone’s dead. (frowning at his poor choice of words) I’m sorry to hear about Seamus. (pause) Oh really? That soon? Well, I’ll be there. You know you can count on me, and if there’s anything I can do, just let me know. See you soon. (snaps phone shut and hands back to Bralen)

Bralen: Well?

Kyle (solemnly): The memorial is tomorrow. I promised him I’d be there.

Bralen: We’ll both be there.

Bralen knew it would be time to face the music soon, but he had managed to get into both Kyle’s pants and his heart. Kyle knows I care for him, and I’ll continue to fight for him. This is one competition I don’t intend to lose.

BRENDON AND NATHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, NIGHT

Justin shoved as much clothing as he could into the mini-suitcase. He had already raided the fridge and pantry for snack foods that he likewise had forced into his backpack. Brendon was still out. There’s no way I’m going somewhere against my will, especially if it’s for something I didn’t do. I’ll leave on my own terms. I’m sure Callum will be pleased with what I’ve done. Brendon and Nathan are no longer talking to each other. Their relationship is over. He owes me big this time around. I think I’ll pay him a visit. He can put me up in his place. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his window. Looking up he saw Enid crouched outside and he raised the pane for her entrance.

Enid: I really must start using the door. (coming inside) So how are you?

Justin: I’m ditching this place.

Enid: Pardon?

Justin: I’m leaving… running away.

Enid: Why? Did you and your father have a row over something?

Justin: Yeah, he thinks I did something, but I didn’t.

Enid: Does this involve…? (raising her fingers to effectuate an imaginary joint)

Justin: No, this has nothing to do with weed. He thinks I tried to harm his boyfriend.

Enid: Well, did you?

Justin: No! It was someone else.

Enid: Did you tell your father that?

Justin: He won’t believe me, and now he’s really going to send me off somewhere. He wants me out of the way so that he can get back with Nathan, who doesn’t like me.

Enid: So you’re running away? Where are you going?

Justin: I don’t know yet. I-I was thinking of staying—

Enid: I’ve got the perfect idea. Why don’t you stay at my dormitory? I have a single so there’s room.

Justin: Are you sure about this?

Boys Like Girls’ “Great Escape” begins playing in the background as Enid pulls out the keys to her dorm, mischievously dangling them before Justin as a smile crept over his face. He was really thrilled by her hospitality at that moment, and he went over to her and hugged her, the act catching her off guard.

Justin: This is great! Thanks, Enid.

Enid: I hope your dad doesn’t blow a gasket when he finds out about this.

Justin: Fuck him! I don’t care what he thinks. (giving her a peck on the cheek) You rock!

Enid: I don’t know what I’m getting myself into, but I can’t leave you in the lurch. (watching him grab his traveling suitcase and push it onto the roof) What are you doing?

Justin: We’re leaving out the back through the ravine. My dad’s downstairs. I can’t risk him seeing us or anyone seeing us along the road.

Enid: How clandestine of us, stealing away like thieves into the night!

Justin: Don’t be so melodramatic. (making sure the door to the room is locked) C’mon. Let’s go.

They both then slipped through the window and quietly down the trellis, Brendon none the wiser that Justin had once more pulled the wool over his eyes. Neither of the teens would be prepared for the adventure that eventually awaited them.

RIVERSIDE CEMETERY & IVY GROVE RESTAURANT, BEVERLY HILLS, MIDMORNING TO AFTERNOON

Rodrigo had solemnly risen, dressed himself in black, and sucked in his breath. He knew he had to be strong today. Callum was very supportive, hiring a limousine to take them to Riverside for the private burial. It was a blazing hot day at the cemetery, Callum gripping Rodrigo’s sweaty palm as he wept, watching the casket lowered into the ground. As it finally left his vision, he turned away to embrace Callum, who felt his tears and runny nose through the cloth of his expensive designer shirt.

Rodrigo: Thank you for being here.

Callum: Ever since I’ve known you this summer, you’ve been there for me. (squeezing his hand)

Rodrigo: Let’s go.

Callum: I thought you’d never ask. As you can imagine, I’m not too fond of open pits.

Rodrigo (on verge of tears again): I-I can’t watch them fill it with dirt.

Callum: I made reservations for us at the Ivy Grove. We can always go elsewhere if you—

Rodrigo: Anywhere with you is fine by me. I have no family left. You’re my only friend, Callum.

It felt awkward for Rodrigo to refer to him by his first name, and yet it felt so good like it was a new stage in their relationship. Callum merely smiled back at him before they silently walked to the car, Rodrigo somberly looked at all the headstones they passed. Bye, Mama. Rest in peace. You never got to see Callum and me together while you were alive, but I know you saw us holding hands just now. I promise you that’s how it’ll stay. Your little boy has found love, and I swear on your grave that this love is forever.

The ride back into Los Angeles took forever, owing to traffic, but for Rodrigo the time seemed to fly by. He simply loved being in Callum’s company, resting his head on Callum’s shoulder. They made it to the restaurant around one. They walked to the hostess, who greeted them warmly.

Callum: I have reservations. Sutcliffe, party of 2…

Hostess: I’m sorry, Mr. Sutcliffe. You’ve been bumped. Your reservations were for noon. I can seat you—

Callum: I would like to speak to the manager. He knows I always sit at the same spot over by the fountain. (peeking around her to look in the distance at his usual table) Surely you can ask them to move to another table.

Hostess: Mr. Sutcliffe, I—

Callum (patronizingly): I’ll handle it, dear. (moves past her, across the restaurant where Tristan and Estrella were seated at his reserved table) Good afternoon.

Estrella (looking up): Callum.

Tristan (snarky): What are you doing here?

Callum: I might ask you the same. This place is rather too high-end for a hustler’s salary.

Estrella: Will you watch your mouth? We’re trying to have a quiet lunch.

Callum (looking at her plate, a salad barely touched): You call that a meal? (to Tristan) Knowing Estrella and her wanton ways, she’d rather be eating something other than what’s on a bed of lettuce. Of course once you leave here, I’m sure she has another bed in mind.

Tristan (indignantly rising, pushing back his chair): I’ve had enough of you!

Callum: Calm down, Tristano! You needn’t make a spectacle of yourself. It’s not Saturday night on Santa Monica Boulevard.

Tristan (forcefully taking him by the arm and guiding him away to a corner of the restaurant) That’s it, Callum. What the hell is your problem?

Callum: Pardon me for interrupting your foreplay. I know she’s paying you by the hour.

Tristan: Just stop with the insults. You don’t know the first thing about my relationship with Estrella.

Callum: I know that poor Heath witnessed the sordid details of it.

Tristan: Shut up! You leave him out of this!

Callum: Why? Does it pain you to know your promiscuity possibly led him to—

Tristan (grabbing Callum by the collar of his shirt and jerking upwards): I said shut up!

Estrella (coming over): Tristan! (he releases his grip on Callum) What are you doing? You’re unnecessarily drawing attention to yourselves, and you’re not even celebrities.

Callum: I beg to differ. I do possess a modicum of fame in this city.

Estrella: It’s more like infamy. Why are you behaving this way?

Tristan: He knows no other way.

Callum: For some unknown reason, Tristano was dubiously defending your honor. I was just about to declare how I’d have more luck pinpointing your menstrual cycle than predicting when you’ll hop back and forth from muff to dick. (seeing Tristan go red in the eyes) And Tristano, you’re no better. With you, any hole’s a goal. In a matter of months, I learn that you can go from shagging with a gentleman like Talon to having it up with this slag.

Estrella (offended): Let’s go, Tristan. I’ve suddenly lost my appetite.

Callum: Now would that be for tit or—(suddenly punched in the face by Tristan, the force of which knocks him back onto an unoccupied table, its silverware and glassware crashing to the floor along with Callum, the noise naturally drawing the attention of the entire restaurant)

Tristan (gracefully taking her hand): Come on, Estrella. We’re leaving now.

Estrella (being guided to the door): What were you thinking doing that in the middle of the Ivy Grove? (stopping in the lobby)

Tristan (loudly and proudly): I don’t care. No one talks to the mother of my child like that.

Estrella blushed and impetuously threw her arms around him, the hug catching him off guard as his neck was pulled down with the gesture. He looked a few feet away to see Rodrigo, their eyes instantly locking. Tristan seductively winked at him, instantly remembering him as one of the best fucks back in the day. Estrella then led Tristan away outside to the valet, but Rodrigo’s eyes remained glued to Tristan’s until he was out of sight. Rodrigo then rushed back into the restaurant to tend to Callum, who had risen from the floor and was dusting himself off.

Rodrigo: Are you okay?

Callum: I will be once I take care of that bastard. (looking directly into Rodrigo’s eyes) Oh, Rodrigo, I’m so sorry to have made such a travesty of the day. I should be more respectful as we just put your mum to rest.

Rodrigo: It’s okay, Callum. You did nothing wrong. Besides, I had a look at the menu, and I’m not that impressed with their cuisine. Let’s just go home.

Callum: You read my mind. (moving toward hostess) Now just allow me to leave them a tip.

He then went to the hostess, requested to speak with the manager, who was not too far away, and to him Callum made the suggestion that they not let rats and dogs dine at their tables, for it might cost them their five-star status. Of course Callum casually dropped the names of a few prominent food critics who were part of his social circle.

BRENDON’S BUSINESS OFFICE, DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES, MORNING

That morning Brendon had to get into his office early for an important meeting. Justin’s bedroom door was locked, and he shouted to the boy through it and got no answer. I’ll talk to him when I get back this evening. We have a lot to discuss. Brendon knew that Justin was angry with him, but he could no longer protect the boy when he couldn’t trust him. It pained him to be between a rock and a hard place, his love for Nathan severely tested by his loyalty towards his son. They both mean so much to me. I can’t imagine life without either of them, but now Nathan won’t have anything to do with me. He’s not even letting me near his mother, but at least Siobhan knows how much I love her son. Hopefully, she’ll be able to get through to him. It was around eleven that he got the call from Siobhan, who told him to come to the memorial, having overruled Nathan’s edict for him to stay away.

Siobhan: It’s my husband’s memorial, and I have the final say of who’s invited.

Brendon: Thank you, Siobhan.

Siobhan: No, thank you for being there alongside my stubborn son all these years. I pray that you two sort out your problems. I fear that he may stray to that vile Callum.

Brendon: I promise you, Siobhan, I’ll do everything in my power to prevent that from happening.

SEAMUS MOYNIHAN’S MEMORIAL LATER THAT DAY

The memorial brought together many Outrunners to show their support for Nathan. The somber occasion hardly befitted a time for reconciling damaged relations which both Allison and Brendon soon discovered. Neither was able to talk much to Nathan and Chloe, who showed up after receiving the text that Nathan had lost his father. She soon understood why Allison had been comforting him in the hospital the other day, yet she still couldn’t bring herself to totally forgive Allison for kissing Nathan. She managed to stay at the back of the church and left as soon as the service was over, Allison only having caught a glimpse of her.

Brendon hardly got a word in edgewise with Nathan as he was surrounded by many Outrunners, notably Kyle, Jeremy Dodd, and the elderly members of the Emeritus Council who were rather fond of him. When Brendon finally got the chance to speak with Nathan, it was rather brief with Nathan tersely thanking him for the flowers before his time was commandeered by Priscilla. Brendon then went over to kiss Siobhan, who naturally wanted him to stay after he told her he was going to leave. He hadn’t seen or heard from Justin all day and wanted to get home to check on him. He wouldn’t be prepared for the surprise that awaited him.

Bralen and Kyle made it back to Los Angeles in time for each to go home, dress accordingly for the occasion, and meet back at the church. Kyle had rung Tristan but didn’t get an answer. He figured he would be at the memorial and then could find out the nature of the important phone call he had placed to him the other day. When Kyle made it to the church, he was a very supportive best friend to Nathan and his mother. He didn’t see Tristan at any time during the service, and Bralen, for his part, was understandably content with Tristan’s absence.

SHADY PALMS REHABILITATION CENTER, MALIBU, LATE AFTERNOON

A spell of loneliness had descended upon Heath. All the thoughts about Kyle and Tristan had made him long for company, and with oddball Trey throwing threats at him he found himself feeling alienated in rehab. Fortunately, he had a visitor in the form of Lindsay, who showed up before dinner, wearing dark sunglasses and a wide-rimmed hat. He had teased her about having to go incognito.

Heath: Back so soon?

Lindsay: Ha! Ha! I came to check on you. See how Shady Palms is treating you.

Heath: Trey is being a total prick. I caught him having sex with that male nurse, and now he’s giving me hell.

Lindsay (coolly): Don’t worry about him. He’s all mouth… and half the time it’s planted on some guy’s body part.

Heath (laughing): What’s his story anyway?

Amber’s club classic “Sexual” begins playing throughout the scene and the remainder of the episode.

Lindsay: As odd as it sounds, he really does have a sexual dependency issue. He’s addicted to it.

Heath: And they supposedly treat that here?

Lindsay: Hun, you’re in Malibu. For the right price, they’ll fix anything or kill you trying to do so.

Heath: Yeah, but his “addiction” if you can call it that, wouldn’t negatively impact his life if he’s safe.

Lindsay: Did you know Trey used to be a CFO for a big tech firm but lost his job because was online cruising Steve 4 Steve?

Heath: Really?

Lindsay: According to him, he’d spend half his workdays at sex sites, but his boss apparently caught him blowing a coworker. That was the nail in his coffin.

Heath: Wow! And I thought Tristan loved sex, but even he knows his limits.

Lindsay (suddenly giddy): Oh, I forgot to tell you I met him—your husband—the other night.

Heath (his eyes suddenly bulging in their sockets): You did?

Lindsay: Yeah, he’s friends with my attorney. He was over at her house. He seemed very surprised that you were in rehab. (suddenly dawning on her) He did know you were here, right? The way he reacted to me was as if he thought you were dead. (she starts laughing at the absurdity of it)

Heath laughed along with her, fearing in his heart that her assumption was correct. It suddenly occurred to him that the last communication he had—or so he thought—with Tristan was the letter he left on his bed the day he had intended to take his life.

TRISTAN’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD, LATE AFTERNOON

Tristan gave one final, sharp upward thrust into Rodrigo, who was straddled on top of him. Sheens of sweat covered both their remarkably muscular bodies. Tristan locked his arms behind his head, signaling for Rodrigo to take over. He slammed his ass down with a rhythmic motion that jarred the bed. For old times’ sake he looked up to the mirrored ceiling, once more seeing his image reflected just as he had two years ago, his mouth releasing an ecstatic moan that further aroused Tristan whose strong hands spanked and then gripped onto the side of Rodrigo’s buttocks to better control the penetrative pace. Rodrigo bent over to kiss him, sweat rolling down the bridge of his nose as their mouths touched. Tristan then pushed Rodrigo aside, throwing him onto his back into missionary where he drove his cock home with reckless abandon, sending Rodrigo into a spasm of noisy, writhing convulsions. Even Vincenzo had to come bang on the door to tell them to quiet down. Tilting his head back, Tristan looked up into the mirror, beholding the mysterious wonder of the sexual energy which he was capable of rendering. He looked down to see that Rodrigo had achieved orgasm, the proof splashed across his abs.

Rodrigo: Wow! That was worth the two year wait!

Tristan (pulling himself away from Rodrigo): I didn’t expect to find you on my doorstep. I saw you at the restaurant earlier today. You gave me the eye.

Rodrigo (smiling): You looked good. I wanted you for lunch.

Tristan: Well, you had me for an early dinner.

Rodrigo: So how much is it? (reaching over for his clothing to withdraw his wallet)

Tristan: Don’t worry about it. I was feeling horny… and charitable. (looks over at clock) Shit! I’m late. (hops out of bed to rush into shower) You know the way out.

Rodrigo took the hint, slowly got dressed as Tristan quickly showered, and started to walk out the apartment. Once he got to the street, he pulled out his phone to call Callum but only managed to punch one button before he heard the exclamation he had expected. Just like clockwork! Time for action! He turned around to see Tristan—tailored in black slacks and a white collared shirt with a tie in his hand—standing beside his own car, frustrated at the flat tire. If he had looked closer, he would have seen the tire had been slashed.

Rodrigo (turning): Dude, what is it?

Tristan: I have a flat.

Rodrigo: Do you need a lift somewhere?

Tristan (hesitantly): Y-Yeah. I’m already late for my friend’s father’s memorial.

Rodrigo: Hop in!

Tristan: Thanks. (getting into the car)

Rodrigo: Where to?

Tristan (reaching into his pocket to withdraw paper with church address): Hold on. (Rodrigo starts the engine, the car doors automatically lock) Ah, here it is. 1530—

It had all happened so soon that Tristan didn’t see it coming. In his mission to get the address, his eyes had not seen Rodrigo’s hand or what was in it. The rag firmly pressed against his nose, Tristan attempted to push the hand away, but it had the force of Rodrigo’s strength behind it. Tristan’s own hands continued to reach out in protest, but it was too late. The chloroform had taken effect as Tristan slipped into unconsciousness, his body going limp in the seat. For added caution, Rodrigo took out the gun and struck Tristan’s head with it, making sure he was totally out.

Looking out through the car windows at the neighborhood and not seeing anyone, Rodrigo shifted the gear into drive. Twenty minutes later found him driving into a desolate part of the Hollywood Hills. He knew dusk would be arriving soon at which point it would be easier to transfer Tristan’s body into the trunk.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: