Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless


Episode 5: “Warfare and Weaponry”

The evocative music of Lamb’s “Gabriel” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEUWFvT16f8 ) underscores the emotional intensity of the following scene:

Nathan Moynihan rushes to his car, enters it, and speeds carelessly down Santa Monica Boulevard, car horns honking at him as he races in the direction of Hollywood Hospital. His mind was a sea of confusion and anxiety. What have I done? He thought, feeling a knot of guilt swell in his stomach. That kiss was absolutely wrong.


He made his way to the hospital, and going through the necessary procedures was allowed entrance to see his partner Brendon. Nathan wondered why there was a security officer positioned outside the door. Brendon was still looking in a state of fixed peace in his bed. He sat in the seat that was quickly becoming his second home and once more interlaced his fingers with those of his lover and looked at him affectionately. He brought his lips to kiss Brendon’s fingers, paranoiac ally thinking that these were the same lips that had foolishly kissed Callum in his moment of emotional grief. Please forgive me, Brendon, his mind kept beseeching of his inert partner. I don’t deserve you.

He thought of how he had made a complete mess of everything. Adding potential adultery on top of poor supervision over a delinquent minor, he felt insecure as a human. He wanted to get up and call Kyle and tell him to do whatever necessary to ensure they find Justin. He just didn’t want to ever leave Brendon’s side again for fear that he may become a victim of temptation. Tears welled up in his eyes once again. I need to speak with you!

Nathan: Do you remember how I would always chide you for getting into the express lane at the supermarket when you clearly knew you had more than 10 items in your cart? (pause) Well, I did that today prior to going to Starbucks.

At the reference of Starbucks, Nathan felt another stab of guilt, foolishly thinking that Brendon would miraculously awaken from his deep sleep and inquire if there were any other reason for him having gone to Starbucks other than for coffee. He raked his hands through his hair, accidentally brushing the soft spot of his temple where he had been hit.

Nathan: You know Peyton put me under hypnosis today. Apparently, I remembered something that while being insignificant could potentially help them in the case. Of all things, they said I spoke about some fragrance that I smelled right before I guess I was attacked.

He rose from his seated position and kissed Brendon on the lips.

Nathan: I forgot to bring our book. I was supposed to go to Barnes and Noble after Starbucks to get another copy, but I got distracted by…

He bit his tongue once more, mindful of the fact that he was about to betray himself. Why does my mind keep going back to Callum? What magic has that kiss thrown on me? He bit his knuckles hard. He had to put Callum and what happened between them out his mind. It was an innocent kiss. That was all. He thought to tell Brendon of other wonderful things.

Nathan: I’m not sure if Allison told you the good news, but she and Chloe are going to have the baby. The doctors are optimistic that she’s out of the woods and will be able to carry the baby to term. Just think that we’ll all be a family by the end of the year, and I’ll be a father. I just hope I don’t make a mess of things like I did with Justin. I really need you to forgive me for that(standing up and inhaling a deep breath) I’m happy for them. I wish you could see how joyful and in love they are. I’ve never seen Allison happier.

He looked up and saw Jeremy Dodd entering the room. Jeremy had been his paternal figure ever since he joined Outrunners over fifteen years ago. He walked over to the man and hugged him.

Jeremy: How are you holding up, Nathan?
Nathan: I’m hanging in there. I can’t say for how much longer.
Jeremy: You just have to be patient and faithful.
Nathan: It’s been three damn weeks, and he hasn’t awakened yet. I’m starting to give up hope. Everyone keeps telling me that all will be well, but I know they’re lying to me. Everyday it’s the same thing. I come in, talk to him, he just lies there, motionless and silent. (pause) I feel so empty inside… so lifeless myself… I want to so desperately feel something.

His mind went back to the kiss that he felt not less than thirty minutes ago. That was something that he definitely felt that had temporarily filled the void to which he had just made reference.

Jeremy: Nathan, are you okay? You look very pensive.
Nathan: Yeah, I-I’m fine. I just need to…
Jeremy: Rest! Allison has told me that you’ve been very busy. You need to take some time off.
Nathan: I have to preside over graduation at the end of this upcoming week. I have to find Justin, and I have to steward the donation from Callum…

Jeremy: Callum? Oh, so you’ve met him. He’s a fine boy.
Nathan: Boy being the operative word. He’s very young but also very mature.
Jeremy: Yeah, you’re practically old enough to be his father.
Nathan: That’s the last thing I need to hear… any reference to my being a parent.
Jeremy: So Callum is making a donation to Hollycove Prep?
Nathan: Yeah, a sizable one at that… this stays between us, Jeremy, but it’s a quarter of a million dollars.

Jeremy (making an exclamatory whistle): And what does he want in return?
Nathan: Nothing. It’s an altruistic contribution. He genuinely wants to do good things, and I’m really impressed with his focus, energy, and passion.

Jeremy: Nathan, I must confess I’m beginning to worry that something is amiss here. The way you’re talking about him sounds like… well, it sounds as if you’re…

Nathan: Say no more, Jeremy. I know what you’re thinking. You’ve always had a sixth sense about these things. Callum and I had a very intimate conversation earlier today, and I really got to understand him. He’s gone through a lot in his short life.

Jeremy: As have you, but from what I’m witnessing right now, I think you should cool things down with this boy. I know that he has taken a deep infatuation with someone… that was evident from his presence in Santa Monica earlier this week. I had assumed it was Tristan, but now I’m starting to think that perhaps he may be harboring some feelings for you, which can only spell trouble.

Nathan: Jeremy, it’s really nothing. We just share a love of fine literature and education for all children.

Jeremy: Nathan, your defenses are down. You’re quite vulnerable, and I’d hate for you to make a terrible mistake that could cost you your relationship with Brendon.

Nathan: I’m going to go downstairs to the cafeteria and get something to eat. Would you like something?

Jeremy: You’re dodging the issue. Anyway, you know I hate hospital food, and I could have sworn you said the same thing the other day—when you were a patient—about the toxic waste that they pass off as food here.

Nathan: I just need to get away for a bit. I really wanted to read to Brendon, but I forgot to stop by the bookstore and purchase another copy of our romance story.

Jeremy: Which one are you reading to him?
Nathan: It’s called Our Autumnal Youth, written by Simon Edgley. I can so easily relate to the main character that loves his partner with all his heart and must go through so many unspeakable struggles to be with his one true love. It’s quite an emotional wallop of a story as it resonates so well with me at this stage in my life. I thought it was a shoo-in for the Booker Prize. Edgley has such an accomplished vision about life and love.

Jeremy (sighing): So you can’t seem to pull yourself away from Callum even now?
Nathan: What are you talking about, Jeremy? I haven’t mentioned Callum for the last three minutes.

Jeremy: I thought you knew that Callum wrote that novel. It’s written under one of his pseudonyms.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Godfrey walks into the sitting room, handing Callum the photocopied pages of Peyton’s little black book, whereupon he’s instructed to place the book back where it was found.

Callum: I’m sure that Peyton will be round shortly. Has Justin had anything to eat?
Godfrey: The last time I checked on him, he was still asleep.
Callum: I’ll go look in on him right now.

He walks up the stairs and heads down the long hallway to the room where Justin was held captive. Using the keys, he enters the room, beholding the sight of the listless teen lying in bed, his right hand manacled to the bedpost. He looked to be in a deep sleep. Callum was about to leave the room when he tripped and nearly fell over Justin’s skateboard. It was at that moment that he noticed the boy’s backpack lying in the corner. It had completely slipped his mind to check it.

He picks it up, rummages through it, takes out the cell phone, instantly noting that Nathan had attempted several times to call him. He places the cell phone in his pocket and continues looking through the contents, finally coming across the paper bag. He extracted its contents, staring in amazement at it.

Callum: What have we here? I wonder if your uncle knows about this.
Godfrey (entering the room): Your Lordship, there’s a phone call from Armitage & Burnham.
Callum: Thank you, Godfrey. I’m sure it’s about my manuscript deadline. I shall have to put several of my plans on hold.

Out of the blue, Justin began stretching, his range of motion cut drastically short from his being tethered to the bed. The lucidity of the moment awoke him to the fact that he was not in a familiar setting.

Justin: What the fuck is going on here?
Callum: You passed out here at my place last night. You don’t remember that? At any rate, I wanted to make certain that you didn’t leave until your uncle Nathan knew you were safe and sound here with me.

Justin: He’s not my damn uncle! Let me go! Unlock these damn handcuffs!
Callum: In due time, my friend.
Justin: I’m not your friend. What the fuck do you want?
Callum: Your uncle really should have washed your mouth out with soap. To answer your question, I don’t really want anything from you except your cooperation.

Justin: Just let me go!
Callum: If I unlock that handcuff, you have to promise to behave yourself. Now, I went through a lot of trouble to make sure that you have a good experience here. Remember I gave you two concert tickets to Coldplay. They’re right there on the stand next to your bed. Godfrey, please unlock him.

Justin: You’re lying. Why did you lock me to the bed? Is this some fucked up queer shit?
Callum: I had to make certain that you wouldn’t leave the house until I spoke with Nathan.
Justin: I don’t want to see him. I’m not going back there!

Callum: Then stay here. You’ll have your own room and room service. You have access to the swimming pool and tennis courts outside. There’s no need for you to leave so soon.

Justin: What’s the catch? I’m not giving my ass up to you.
Callum: Is sex the only thing on your mind? I’m not interested in any sexual relationship with you. I tend to fancy men with a modicum of savoir-faire, something which I’m sure you lack.

Justin: Why are you doing this? (pause) Well, if you’re not going to tell, I’m sure Kyle would love to hear how you kidnapped me and held me hostage.

Callum: I do admire your gall, Justin. However, you should know I always have a contingency plan. I found a lovely stash of puff in your knapsack. I’ll hand that over to Kyle as well when he comes by the house, and naturally they’ll take you back to Nathan’s place. Should your uncle Brendon die—perish the thought—you’d be stuck with Nathan for another year or two until you’re deemed an adult, that is unless you decide to runaway again, in which case I doubt you’d make it out there on your own. It’s a big world out there.

Justin: I can take care of myself.
Callum (laughing): With what? You haven’t any skills for a decent-paying profession. You haven’t even a high school diploma.

Callum reaches into his wallet and withdraws a note and hands it to him.

Justin: What the hell is this? Paper money?
Callum (realizing his error): Hey, don’t knock that £20 note. That’ll be worth like $100 next week, given the current state of your tanking American economy. Nonetheless, perhaps, this will shut you up some. The real deal! (handing him a $100 note)

Justin: Thanks, dude!
Callum: And there’s more from where that came as long as you keep quiet about our arrangement.

Justin: What do you want?
Callum: Don’t worry. I only need you to stay here a few more days. As I said, you’ll have complete access to all my home’s amenities. The only caveat I give is not to go beyond the pool otherwise you’ll be in direct sight of your uncle’s home. He cannot learn of your presence here just yet.

Justin: Can I invite some friends over?
Callum: Did you not just hear what I said! No one—and that includes any of your friends—must know that you’re here.

Justin: Then I’m going to need some serious entertainment.
Callum: Such as?
Justin: For starters, an X Box.
Callum: Please make a list of all the items you need to have for your entertainment and give it to Godfrey. Meanwhile, I’ll have the cook prepare you something to eat. Just buzz us if you need anything.

Callum and Godfrey leave the room. The moment the door closes behind them, Justin leaps out the bed and grabs his knapsack, noting that both the marijuana and his cell phone were missing. He had no way of contacting anyone. I’ll play along with your game a little bit, but I’m getting the hell out of here just as soon as I get more money. Downstairs in the sitting room, Godfrey and Callum are holding a discussion.

Godfrey: I don’t believe the child is to be trusted.
Callum: Neither do I. We’ll humor his demands for the few days, and then take care of him. The ravine outside seems a nice resting place for the aftermath of an accident. I’m hoping it won’t come to that, although Nathan would need someone to comfort him should such a tragedy befall him. Two deaths one after the other… first Brendon and then his nephew!

Godfrey: Is that all Your Lordship requires?
Callum: I’d love a cup of tea while I go through Justin’s phone queue.

He withdraws the cell phone and begins looking through its recent call history. Suddenly, Callum’s eyes latch onto a number with which he had become rather familiar the past few weeks—that of Tristan Bersani’s residence. What’s the connection between you two?

HEATH ALCOTT AND KYLE WALGROVE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

The hypnotic and seductively apropos music and lyrics of the Sneaker Pimps’ “6 Underground” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teT_9_nqnw) form the background music for the following scene:

Caught in the throes of heated passion, Heath and Tristan’s fiery bodies unite in sweltering intercourse. Heath, on his back, looked up into Tristan’s eyes as another almighty thrust from the Italian stallion sent his entire body reeling into a state of intense rapture, his heartbeat accelerating, his eyes rolling back, and his breathing uncontrollable. With each successive plunge, Heath further spurred Tristan’s burgeoning aggression, continuously smacking his exposed buttocks until they reddened. Tristan bent down to kiss Heath, the perspiration from his brow and chest falling onto Heath’s body as he continued his rabble-rousing, sensuously biting Tristan’s lower lip, tugging on it with his teeth.

Tristan: You like it rough, eh?
Heath: I love you, Tristan…

Did I just say that? In that silent moment that followed, Heath wished he had bitten his own lip. Thankfully, Tristan continued with his energetic pumps, perhaps not once thinking what Heath had truly meant in that instant. He carried on wondering if it had been an accident to speak his mind. Without warning Tristan banged into him too intensely. Heath reacted without thought, driving his nails deeply into the flesh of Tristan’s back, his ensuing cry piercing the air. Tristan separated his body from Heath’s, exhaling a huge amount of breath and tensing his back muscles.

Tristan: That was out of this world, babe!
Heath: Glad you liked it. So you want to finish this in the shower?
Tristan: I honestly should get going. You know tomorrow is the Pediatric AIDS run, and I should get rested up for it. Are you coming to it?

Heath: Yeah, Kyle and I are both registered for it, though I doubt he’ll run. He’s always busy.
Tristan (kissing him): But I’m here to keep you occupied.
Heath (sighing): Oh, Tristan, you’re such a wonderful man.
Tristan: You really think so?
Heath: Yeah, I do. At least you don’t cut me off when I phone you to see what you’re doing for lunch.

Tristan: Well, at least Kyle’s not phoning to see who you’re doing for lunch.

Both laughing at the humor, Heath grabbed Tristan, pulling him forward for a long, sensuous kiss. Parting their lips, they once more stared into each other’s eyes, Heath more so feeling himself hypnotized by Tristan’s and wanting to drown himself in them. Tristan bent down once more for another brief kiss before propelling himself out the bed.

Tristan: Whew! I worked up an appetite. You got anything to eat?
Heath: Sure, check the fridge. There’s plenty of food left over from last night. Kyle didn’t eat anything I prepared for him.

Having warmed the leftovers, Tristan began devouring the food, complimenting Heath on how flavorful and great it tasted. He kissed Heath tenderly on the lips before leaving. It suddenly occurred to Heath that Kyle had not complimented him on his cooking in a number of weeks.

GRIFFITH PARK, SUNDAY MORNING, PEDIATRIC AIDS FOUNDATION RUN/WALK FUNDRAISER

The morning sunshine lit up the gorgeous beauty of Griffith Park as set-up for the Pediatric AIDS Foundation Fundraising Run/Walk was in full swing. Allison and many other Outrunners were helping with volunteer duties. Chloe Dalton was setting up the water station when Tristan ran up to the meeting place.

Allison: Bersani! Over here! You’re late!
Tristan: Sorry, Your Highness. I did bring help. I managed to coerce my roommate Vittoria to help out. Hey, what’s this about Justin? I got home last night and saw Kyle on the news. Justin’s been missing for over two days. I saw his picture on the television.

Allison: Well, he ran away from home. He and Nathan got into an argument, but you know that Justin’s been through a lot. He lost his mother less than a month ago. I’m not excusing his behavior as I understand that he caused a lot of strife for Kyle and Heath.

Tristan (sotto voce): In more ways than one for Heath… (aloud) so put me to work.
Allison: You can help Heath with registration for now, but I’m going to need you at the finish line. So where’s your friend? I can put her on water duty.

Tristan: She’s on her way. She stopped at the bathroom. I’m guessing to apply makeup and lipstick.
Allison: You did tell her this isn’t a meat market.
Tristan: Try telling her that. Oh, here, she comes right now.

Vittoria crosses the street and approaches them, wearing sunglasses. Tristan introduces her to Allison. They shake hands, and then Allison assigns her to work on water duty. She then goes over to the water table to help Chloe pour water into the cups. Chloe felt a strange sense around Vittoria.

Chloe: Do I know you?
Vittoria: I don’t think so. This is my first time here, and I don’t know anyone from this group.
Chloe: Oh, I could have sworn I knew you from somewhere.

Chloe chose not to speak any further as the woman didn’t seem that friendly, and honestly her body piercings did little to endear her presence. But there was something about her that caused Chloe to feel a general sense of unease. As Vittoria was pouring the water into the cup, she turned around and the wind blew up her camisole, revealing the snake tattoo. The grotesque image struck Chloe’s mind like a bolt of lightning.

Chloe immediately recoiled at the image and remembered where she had seen first seen Vittoria. She was with Justin two days ago… the day he went missing. She was the one who had sold him marijuana on the street corner in Hollywood.

Chloe: You!
Vittoria (turning around): Yeah, am I doing something wrong? The demonstration seemed simple. Pour water into the cup. Pour water into the next cup… and so forth.

Chloe: I know who you are! You sold those drugs to Justin!

Vittoria’s pupils dilated at the reference of drugs, especially as they were in a public place, and Chloe’s voice carried in the wind.

Vittoria: What are you talking about?
Chloe: I saw you in Hollywood two days ago, selling drugs to Justin Roberts. It was outside Lou’s Deli.
Vittoria: You must be mistaken, lady.
Chloe: Don’t play innocent with me. I saw you and fully remember you now. You gave him a brown paper bag that had marijuana in it. It was around one in the afternoon two days ago. Now Justin’s gone missing, and no one knows where he is. What have you done with him?

Vittoria (backing away): Look, lady, I think you may have me confused with someone else…
Chloe: Do you know where he is?
Vittoria: Who are you talking about?
Chloe: Justin Roberts. Stop playing dumb! He’s missing, and his picture was on the evening news last night. If you know anything about his whereabouts, I suggest you come clean now. I know Detective Kyle Walgrove, and I’m sure he’d be interested in knowing that you’re Justin’s dealer.

At the reference of Kyle’s name, Vittoria bolted away from Chloe and collided into Allison.

Allison: Hey, watch it! (approaching Chloe and kissing her gently on her lips) What was that about?

Chloe: Who was that woman?
Allison: Her name’s Vittoria. She’s Tristan’s roommate. Why? Is there something wrong?
Chloe: You had better call Kyle right now. That girl knows something about Justin.
Allison: Oh, lord, here comes trouble. I see Callum approaching the registration table. (accosting him) What are you doing here?

Callum: I beg your pardon. I’m one of the sponsors of this event. I made a generous donation of $10,000 this past week, especially when I learned that Outrunners would be participating in it. Besides, it’s for a great cause.

Allison: I technically can’t throw you out then.
Callum: Alas, you can’t… besides it’s taking place in a public park. So is Nathan here?
Allison: Is that the only reason you came?
Callum: That and as I said before…the cause.
Allison: You’re so full of yourself, thinking that money can buy you respect and a place in a man’s heart. But as I recall it, that’s exactly what happened back in Britain, right? You weaseled your way into a rich man’s heart.

Callum: You know, Allison, it amazes me that someone of your academic standing can be marred by such foolishness. You know not to believe everything that you’re told… after all, your parents most likely told you that you would grow up and be swept off your feet by a stunning man... boy, were they ever wrong!

Allison: Callum, go find that rock you crawled out from! Some of us here are actually trying to do some good for the children.

Callum: Well, if you need me, I’ll be over in the sponsors’ booth.

He turns to walk away when his foot hits something, nearly sending him headfirst onto the ground. Looking down, he sees an ornate crystal bottle and picks it up. It was clearly a fragrance container with the word Tentazione inscribed upon it.

Callum (holding it up): Oh, Allison, is this yours?
Allison: No, it’s most likely yours… used to cover your stench.
Callum: Tentazione! It’s Italian for “temptation.” How appropriate!
Chloe: It was probably that wretched woman’s. She certainly looked Italian. It probably fell from her handbag when she bumped into you, Allison. I was trying to tell you before we were interrupted that I saw her two days ago in Hollywood. She was selling drugs to Justin. We need to contact Kyle right now, and let him know that Tristan’s roommate may have something to do with Justin missing.

Having heard this, Callum stealthily bowed out the conversation. Armed with an arsenal of information that was now slowly beginning to fall into place, he started to move away from Allison and Chloe.

Callum: Well, I’ll just take this toilet water over to the park ranger’s station for the lost and found. I’ll see you two ladies later.

He walked across the street to the park ranger’s station but neglected to go inside it. Holding up the fragrance bottle, he remembered what Peyton had told him what Nathan had said under hypnosis. How the fragrance had seemed exotic. Could this be the fragrance? And what would Tristan’s roommate have to do with any of this? Callum picked up his cell phone and dialed Tristan.

Meanwhile, Tristan had been reassigned to do work at the finish line when he got a text message from Vittoria, telling him to meet her immediately. He at once called her.

Tristan: I’m working the finish line now. I can’t leave post otherwise Allison will kill me.
Vittoria: Look, we need to talk. Call me back as soon as you’re free.
Tristan: What’s wrong? You sound very strange. Is everything okay?

The connection broke, but then he got another call—this time from Callum.

Tristan: What is it, Callum? I’m sort of busy right now.
Callum: We need to talk. Now!
Tristan: Look, Allison will have my neck if I abandon post now.
Callum: Just ditch your duties and pass them onto someone else! I need to see you immediately. We can do brunch at Guiseppe’s and the bill is on me. Free mimosas!

Tristan: Sounds like a deal to me!

NATHAN MOYNIHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Nathan had awakened in enough time to make it over to Griffith Park for the Pediatric AIDS fundraiser, but his body felt it as if were being held under a load of iron weights. He subsequently fell back asleep and didn’t wake until half past nine. He hadn’t got much rest last night, having to speak with all the news crews about Justin missing and pleading with the public to notify the police if they saw him or knew any information about his whereabouts.

He made a quick breakfast of cereal and fruit and sat outside on his porch. He missed sitting out there with Brendon, having their morning coffee and listening to the chirping birds. He soon would get ready to go to the hospital to check on him, but he felt he would be greeted with the same news. What was the old saying? No news is good news. Except in Justin’s case! Where could he have gone? Nathan was worried and sick to his stomach. He placed the thousandth call to Kyle’s cell phone, asking him if there were any updates in the case. He dressed, left for the hospital, sat beside Brendon for nearly two hours, and came back to his house at one in the afternoon just as Allison was pulling into his driveway.

TRISTAN AND VITTORIA’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Vittoria had lain low all the afternoon. She kept waiting for Tristan to call her back, but he never did, forcing here to flee to a friend’s place where she continued to worry about the cops questioning Tristan about her. I have to get home and pack! She attempted to ring Tristan again around three, and this time he answered. He said that he got held up by Callum at a long, drawn-out brunch.

Vittoria: Have you spoken with anybody else?
Tristan: Vittoria, what the hell is going on? You’re sounding all cryptic.
Vittoria: Did that Allison chick or her girlfriend ask you any questions?
Tristan: I’m sure I’ll have an earful from her. Callum dragged me away from the finish line, and I had to get another volunteer to cover for me midway through the run. I’ve been with him ever since.

Vittoria: Meet me back at the apartment. You go there first and make sure that the coast is clear… no cops around.

Tristan: Oh, no, Vitt, what have you done this time?

She characteristically broke the connection before he could get anything out of her. He drove back to his apartment only to find the door ajar. He pushed it and went inside.

Tristan: Vittoria? What the hell?

His eyes fell on the mess that was his apartment. The couch and furniture were overturned, papers and trash was scattered all over the floor. His place had been burgled. He rushed to his bedroom. It, too, was in an absolute state of disarray. He heard someone enter the apartment. He went back to the living room to find Vittoria standing in the doorway.

Tristan: You know anything about this?
Vittoria: It was that bitch. She said she was going to tell your friend the police detective about me.
Tristan: What have you done this time?
Vittoria: I only sold him some weed, but she thinks I have something to do with him missing.
Tristan: Who? Are you talking about Justin, Brendon’s nephew?
Vittoria (her eyes enlarged): WHAT? He’s related to Brendon.
Tristan: And you sold him drugs? What the hell were you thinking?
Vittoria: I didn’t know who he was. I just thought he was one of those bratty Hollycove Prep kids.
Tristan: That still doesn’t explain why the place was burgled.
Vittoria: The cops were here. She sent them here.
Tristan: Okay, back up a moment. Who sent the police here?
Vittoria: Allison’s girlfriend. I don’t know how but she recognized me from when I sold Justin the weed two days ago. She threatened to tell Kyle about me, and apparently that’s what she’s done. The cops came here looking for me and the drugs except I wasn’t here.

Tristan: Vittoria, the cops wouldn’t have had time to get a search warrant from a judge, especially on a Sunday morning. Go check and see if your stash is still here. Maybe it was one of your “clients” who couldn’t wait for his next fill.

She goes into her room, tripping over the mess, heading straight for the hideaway of her drugs in the secret compartment under her bed. The drugs were all gone. Fury seethed within her as she stormed out the room.

Vittoria: The cops were here. I know it. All my stash is gone. Oh my god, Tristan, they’re going to put me back in the slammer. You know the judge was lenient this last time, but he gave me that warning. I’m on probation. I can’t go back in there!

Tristan (walking over to her): Calm down, Vittoria. We don’t know everything. Let me just make a call to Kyle and see if he knows anything.

Vittoria (jerking away from him): No! You can’t call him. He’ll come back here and arrest me. You know he’s arrested me several times before for prostitution. Oh, Tristan, I can’t go back.

Tristan: I’ll call Heath and find out if he knows anything. He won’t betray me.
Vittoria: Yeah, well, forgive me if I don’t trust any of your damn friends, starting with that fucking dyke!

Tristan: Hey, watch your mouth! Chloe’s a nice woman!
Vittoria (withdrawing a sharp knife from her purse): Yeah, well, now she’s a dead woman!
Tristan: Hey, cool it, Siciliana!
Vittoria: No, she’s going down for doing this to me! And you had better not get in my way, Tristan. You’re already in this too deep or have you forgotten?

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Callum arrived home around three in the afternoon, having had brunch with Tristan. He had to hold Tristan’s attention for several hours while the men ravaged through Tristan’s apartment, Callum having supplied them with the address from Peyton’s black book. All the men found were some stash of drugs, a few chests of jewelry, and a box of books. Callum would go through the majority of it later that evening. One thing was certain: Vittoria was Justin’s dealer.

At any rate, he wanted to see Nathan again. I want a sequel to that amazing kiss from yesterday. He left his home and ran the short distance to Nathan’s home—but as if the fates were once more against him, he met Allison Trudeau as she was exiting the house and heading for her car.

Allison: What are you doing here? What part of stay away from Nathan don’t you understand?
Callum: Shouldn’t you be at Ellen Degeneres’ wedding? Oh, I forgot that your invitation was purposely lost in the mail. At any rate, I’m coming over for business purposes.

Allison: Yeah, right!
Callum: I’m serious. I came over here because Nathan forgot the check I had written out to Hollycove Preparatory School.

Allison: Once more, you’re using money to weasel your way into people’s lives.
Callum: Well, this one is a generous donation (flaunting the check in front of Allison’s eyes) and Nathan will be expecting it.

He makes a move onto the porch to knock on the door when Allison seizes him by the wrist.

Callum: Let go of me!
Allison: Go home, Callum! Nathan doesn’t need your money. He doesn’t need anything from you.

Callum: This is very important to him. It’ll help him to achieve his goal for quality education for the masses and not just the rich and elite.

Allison: It’s just another attempt of yours to get Nathan, and I won’t let it happen. (snatching the check from Callum and tearing it to pieces) That’s what I think of your generosity! Now leave!

Callum: You stupid cow! That was a quarter of a million dollars you just ripped!
Allison: I don’t care. Nathan’s not to be bought.
Callum: And just how much was he paid to give you his sperm?
Allison: What the hell are you talking about?
Callum: You know, Allison, I knew from the start that you were harboring amorous feelings for Nathan, but to persuade him to donate his sperm for your partner to carry his child, that’s rather twisted.

Allison: How do you know about that?
Callum: Never mind how I know. The fact remains that you’ll still never have a connection with Nathan. His connection to his child will be through Chloe so once again you’ve lost on a precious opportunity with Nathan, but I imagine your womb was deemed too aggressive for an innocent babe to rest in for nine agonizing months.

Allison: What’s your point, Callum? Yes, Nathan is the father of our baby.
Callum: Doesn’t that just eat away at you? The fact that Chloe is carrying the baby of the man that you secretly love!

Allison: You’re sick!
Callum: But once Nathan and I are together, we’ll have to figure what to do with this child. I’ll have to pressure Nathan to send it off to boarding school. We should move forward and put a name on the waiting list for Eton just in case it’s a boy.

Allison: You’re completely delusional. Nathan would never get together with you, and you’ll never have anything to do with my child.

Callum: You’re wrong on so many levels, Allison. As I said before, it’s not your child—biologically speaking—and secondly Nathan and I have developed a strong connection as evidenced by the kiss he gave me yesterday.

Allison: What planet are you on? Nathan would never ever do anything like that.
Callum (sighing): I see you’re going to make this difficult. He kissed me in front of dozens of people at the Starbucks in West Hollywood yesterday. I know that has to be hard for you to hear, but he really fancies me. I’m sure he’s been thinking about me all day as have I of him.

Allison: I’m about ten seconds from calling the cops and having them haul you away for trespassing on private property.

Callum: You and your petty threats, Allison. You’re just jealous that he actually kissed me… that he wants me over you… that Chloe is carrying his baby… but if you’re really nice to me, I may make a concession one evening and permit a threesome among us. I’ll naturally turn my head away during the process.

The sharp crackling sound emanated throughout the wilderness as Allison’s hand slapped across Callum’s face, the sting of which was still burning in his cheeks.

Allison: That was for insulting me!
Callum (recovering himself): I’m willing to forgive you for tha—

The force of Allison’s fist colliding into his face knocked him back several feet, his fall broken by the ground’s hard gravelly surface. He felt warm blood fill the inside of his mouth, evidence of his burst lip.

Allison: And that was for lesbians everywhere!

His head still spinning from the impact, Callum stayed on the ground a few seconds, his fingers at his mouth’s corner, pressuring into his lip to stop the blood flow. Regaining his bearings, he rose from the ground, the look of murder in his eyes.

Allison: What? You want some more? (pause) No more pithy comments? No more putdowns to make?
Callum (wiping away blood): I have only one remark to make, Allison. You will live to regret this. (turning to walk away but then suddenly turning back to face her) On second thought, you won’t live to regret it. You’ll die regretting it.

He silently walks back to his home, entering it to the shocked face of Godfrey.

Godfrey: Your Lordship, what happened?
Callum: It’s but a minor cut. Nothing like the one I’m going to give Allison Trudeau. She wishes to play hardball… so be it! I’ve had enough of her!

He walks over to the safe in his private sitting room, puts in the combination, and pulls out a wooden box. He opens it and brandishes a shiny, silver gun. He holds it up to his eyesight.

Callum: It’s time to take care of Allison Trudeau once and for all!

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: