Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 6: “We All Fall Down”


CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Godfrey (staring in disbelief at the gun in Callum’s hand): Your Lordship, I don’t think this is the right measure to be taken.

Callum: Why not?
Godfrey: You were always in admiration of Britain’s firm gun control laws.
Callum: We’re in America now, home of lenient—and one might argue nonexistent—gun control laws. More importantly, we’re in Los Angeles, home of gang violence, drive-by shootings, and where firearms can be purchased on every street corner along with pirated copies of the latest films—and that’s before they even premiere at the bloody cinema.

Godfrey: Would Lord Armitage approve of this?
Callum: I’m doing this for Gavin!
Godfrey: I doubt he would see eye to eye with you. He’d draw the line at you committing murder.

Callum: Oh, Godfrey, I know you’re right, but I can’t allow Allison to ruin everything. She’s managed to get Nathan to impregnate her partner Chloe.

Godfrey: I see. (pause) I’m afraid that does further complicate matters, but I suggest you find another means of dealing with Ms. Trudeau rather than blatant gunfire by your own hand.

Callum: I’ll think on it. That’s all I can promise you for now.
Godfrey (sighing): I shall get something for your injuries.
Callum: Thank you, Godfrey.

TRISTAN BERSANI’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Tristan had almost finished cleaning half his wrecked apartment when there was a knock at his door. Detective Kyle Walgrove had at last made Vittoria’s prophesied visit.

Kyle (entering upon Tristan’s gesture): What happened here? Looks like a tornado blew through.
Tristan: What brings you here?
Kyle: We need to talk about your roommate Vittoria Morelli.
Tristan (rudely): She’s not here.
Kyle: I figured that she wouldn’t be. I take it you know why I’m here.
Tristan: Actually, I don’t.
Kyle: Well, I’ll key you in on a few things. Vittoria was spotted two days ago, dealing drugs to none other than Justin Roberts in Hollywood. Of course, you know he’s gone missing since then. I just need to speak with her to see if she’s seen him at all. Nathan is going mad with worry over him.

Tristan: Is that the only reason you want to talk to her? To see if she’s seen Justin?
Kyle: She’s on probation, you know.
Tristan: Yeah, I remember the last time you busted her over on Hollywood Boulevard. But are you absolutely certain she’s dealing again?

Kyle: You’d know that more than I would. You live with her. (pause)
Tristan (dismissively): Well, I’ll let her know you dropped by.
Kyle: She knows how to reach me. (turning to leave)
Tristan: Give Heath my regards. You know I managed to push his limits the other day.
Kyle: Oh, yeah, how’s that? (turning around)
Tristan: I got him to run over the hill in Griffith Park.
Kyle: That must have taken some persuasion!
Tristan: Oh yeah… by the end, he was all sweaty and panting for breath.
Kyle: Well, I’ll have to joke with him about that. Thanks for being a running partner for him in my absence. Ever since this promotion, I’ve been so busy!

Tristan: Hey, it’s no problem. Heath’s a good buddy, one of the best kinds there are!
Kyle: All right, well, I’ll leave you to clean up your mess.
Tristan (sotto voce): Heath usually does that for me.
Kyle: Pardon? You say something?
Tristan: Only that Vittoria usually does that for me. You know how some women are neat freaks.
Kyle (leaving for the door): Well, if it’s true that she’s back dealing, she’ll be cleaning up her mess back in the slammer on an extended term this time. See you later!

Tristan (having dialed Vittoria’s cell phone): Where the hell are you? Kyle was just here looking for you.
Vittoria: I’m about to take care of business. I’m over at that bitch’s house. I’m going to silence her once and for all. It’s her word against mine, and with her out of the picture, Kyle has nothing to go on.

Tristan: Vittoria, don’t do anything foolish!

He was met with the familiar sound of the dial tone. She had once more cut off the connection. What was she up to? He had a sick feeling in his gut about this.

ALLISON TRUDEAU AND CHLOE DALTON’S HOME, LOS FELIZ

Allison Trudeau placed her right hand in a bowl of ice in a bold attempt to reduce the swelling. She was sitting in her kitchen when Chloe walked into the room, a look of astonishment cast over her face.

Chloe: What happened?
Allison: In two words: Callum Sutcliffe. I really socked one to him.
Chloe: Your hand looks awful.
Allison: If you think my hand looks bad, you should see his face.
Chloe: Oh, Allison, I really wish you would end this little feud you’re having with him. He’s just a kid, and I really don’t like all this violence. It’s not good energy and an environment in which to raise a child.

Allison: But you should have heard the things he was saying. Stuff like—
Chloe (interrupting her): I’ve heard it all from you. Or have you forgotten that you tell me all this stuff every night before we go to bed? Frankly, I’m tired of it.

Allison: But, Chloe, he had it coming! The stuff he was saying about you, me, and Nathan. It was just sick, and Nathan really needs to hear it sometime. You realize that Callum is trying to buy his way into Nathan’s life… first with the house next door to Nathan’s and now with a quarter of a million dollar donation to the school. He’ll stop at nothing!

Chloe: Allison, I think you should let Nathan handle his own problems.
Allison: What?

She took her hand out the ice and walked over to Chloe, wrapping her arms around her. She gave her a big hug and then stepped back to look at Chloe, whose radiant beauty had captured her heart over two decades ago.

Allison: I love you, Chloe. You know that.
Chloe: Of course I know that, and I love you, too, but I think for the sake of our baby, you need to end this vendetta with Callum. Nathan’s a grown man, and he can take care of himself.
Allison: I’m Nathan’s best friend, Chloe. I’ve known him all my life. I can’t just press a button and no longer care for him.

Chloe: That’s not what I’m asking you to do. All I’m saying is for you to stop inciting Callum. He may have a boyish crush on Nathan, but we both know that Nathan is fully committed to Brendon.
Allison: Yeah, well, Callum claims that Nathan kissed him yesterday.
Chloe: And if he did?
Allison: I can’t believe that you would even consider such garbage. He’s lying!
Chloe: Honestly, Allison, I could care less about whether Nathan kissed Callum or not. I just wish you would spend more time and energy focused on us than on Nathan and his possible temptation by Callum Sutcliffe!

Chloe makes her way for the kitchen exit when Allison steps in front of her.

Allison: Chloe, honey, you know I love you. I’m here for you.
Chloe: Between your interminable shifts at the hospital and your time devoted to Nathan, Callum, and Brendon, I feel like I come in fifth place.
Allison: That’s not true.
Chloe: Allison, I’m not looking to argue. In fact, all I want to do right now is lie down. I’m starting to get a headache.

Allison: Let me help you upstairs.
Chloe (calmly raising her hand): I can see myself upstairs. I’ll take a brief nap.

Chloe walked calmly out the room while Allison sat back at the kitchen table, her face an ocean of bewildered feeling. She gave a deep exhalation and rested her head in her hands. Had she turned around at that moment and looked out into the backyard, she would have seen Vittoria Morelli outside, the crest of her head stooped underneath the windowsill, her right hand curled around a sharp knife.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Callum downed a gulp of brandy, waiting for Godfrey to return with the first aid kit. The doorbell rang.


Callum: I’ve got it, Godfrey!
Opening the door, he was shocked to see the Adonis-like figure of Nathan Moynihan.

Nathan: Oh my God, Callum, what happened!
Callum (gesturing to him): Do come in! (pause) Oh, I was attacked by some fiend in the park.
Nathan (standing): Did you see what he looked like?
Callum: Please take a seat. I foolishly went to see where you and Brendon were attacked.
Nathan: Trying to play Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot? You should leave that to Kyle.
Callum (smiling): Hardly! I went running and sat down for a bit. Along came this person, we chatted, and then I guess he hit me. I’m pretty certain the brute was an Anglophobe.
Nathan: Did you see what he looked like?
Callum: Androgynous comes to mind…

At that moment, Godfrey entered the room, carrying some ointment and bandages on a salver.

Godfrey: Would Your Lordship like—

He suddenly drops the salver, the ointment and bandages rolling onto the floor at the feet of Nathan.

Godfrey: Oh, I’m such a klutz! My apologies, Your Lordship.

Nathan prevents Godfrey from picking up the items, having dexterously retrieved them before Godfrey even attempted to bend to the floor.

Callum: Godfrey, I don’t think you’ve met our neighbor Mr. Nathan Moynihan.
Godfrey: No, I haven’t had the pleasure. (shaking his hand) Please pardon me for that awful faux pas.
Nathan: It’s okay. I think anyone close to Callum would be hypersensitive, given what’s happened to him.
Callum: Yes, Godfrey’s always been mindful of me. He was butler for the Armitage family for over four decades and was a personal confidant to my late partner Lord Gavin Armitage. In his will, Gavin stipulated that he wanted Godfrey to stay on as my butler. It’s funny that that’s the only stipulation in his will that the Armitage family is not disputing. So I know that Godfrey has somewhat of a bruised heart as if the family doesn’t want him— (turning to Godfrey) pardon my saying that openly.

Godfrey: It’s quite all right, Your Lordship. One should not feel shame over the truth.
Nathan: Your Lordship? So you’re a lord, Callum?
Callum: Well, I was married to one. Had I a pair of X chromosomes, I would be a Lady. It’s quite a touchy subject with the Armitage family, and only Godfrey refers to me that way. I believe he’s trying to please Gavin from beyond the grave.

Godfrey: I’m going to check on our other guests. Will His Lordship need anything else?
Callum: I’m fine, Godfrey. Thank you.

Godfrey leaves the room as the sweeping instrumental prelude to the befitting music and lyrics of Kate Nash’s “The Nicest Thing” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jLZzAsb0o4) plays softly in the background of the scene:

Callum picks up the ointment and begins applying it to his severely injured lip.
Nathan: Have you called the police? Kyle should be notified of this.
Callum: I’m pretty certain that Detective Walgrove has better things to be doing than looking for some buffoon.
Nathan: Oh, Callum, wait a minute… you put on a little too much.

Nathan reaches over and uses his fingertip to remove a gob of the ointment from Callum’s lip, instantly realizing his error when his flesh once more touched that of Callum’s. Their eyes briefly locked before Nathan turned his eyesight away.

Nathan: I’m sorry about that. I-I uh didn’t mean to do that—
Callum (candidly): Do what? Touch me today or kiss me yesterday?
Nathan (blushing): That’s really the reason why I came here. I really wanted to apologize for yesterday. It was wrong of me on so many levels… kissing you like that when you were feeling extremely vulnerable and then running out on you like that. I-I honesty don’t know what came over me.

Callum: Don’t worry about it. We were both under so much stress and heightened emotions. These things happen.
Nathan: I just want you to understand that I’m not like that at all.
Callum: I know you’re a complete gentleman. Please don’t fret over it. It’s the least of my worries right now. I must come up with a way of hiding this wretched injury.

Nathan (smiling): Well, I’ve been there before.
Callum: Oh really?
Nathan: Well, not in the sense of being injured facially, but Brendon once got very passionate with me, and gave me a hickey. I had a meeting with the Board of Trustees the next day, and I had to keep my collar turned up the entire time. I felt like Queen Elizabeth I in those old photos.

Callum (laughing): So you were a queen for a day. (pause) Nice play on words if I do say so myself.
Nathan: Yeah, good one. (pause) Speaking of your way with words, why didn’t you inform me yesterday that you wrote Our Autumnal Youth? I didn’t know you wrote under the pen name Simon Edgley.

Callum: Can you blame me for not wanting to further contribute to the awkwardness of that moment? You so much as told me that you fell in love with my words.

Nathan (his head bent down in pensive thought): Callum, I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but I-I don’t want you to get the wrong idea about my feelings. I-I just need for you to understand… you know what? I think this is my cue to leave. I just wanted to offer my apologies and clear up any confusion.

Callum: Why don’t you stay for dinner? We’re having roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, parsnips, carrots, and trifle for dessert. You’ll love it. It was Gavin’s favorite home cooked meal.
Nathan: I’m tempted, but I really should get home. I’m really worried about Justin. The police are doing all they can, and I should be at home just in case he does make a miraculous reappearance. I just feel awful about all this.
Callum: Oh, Gavin, don’t worry about it. I’m sure he’ll show up eventually.
Nathan: You just called me Gavin.
Callum: Did I? Oh, I’m terribly sorry… he’s always on my mind.
Nathan: No need to apologize. I feel the same way about my Brendon.
Callum (sotto voce): Except he wasn’t on your mind when you kissed me.
Nathan: Excuse me, did you say something?
Callum: I was just commenting to myself what a powerful love you have for him.
Nathan: It’s the same you have for Lord Armitage if I may call him that. By the way, do you have any photos of him? I certainly would love to see pictures of you two as you speak so highly of—

Callum: Uh, I-I haven’t finished unpacking all my stuff yet but I think I have (pause) some upstairs in my bedroom (pause) How inappropriate of me! That didn’t come out right.

Nathan: It’s okay. Maybe next time you can show me some of your photos. I’d love to get some ideas for the ceremony.
Callum: Ceremony?
Nathan: Our marriage ceremony… well, I mean mine and Brendon’s marriage. Now that it’s legal here in California, I think I’ll move forth with the preparations for it. I know you once told me that you and Lord Armitage had a very romantic wedding. In fact, I was just speaking with Allison, and she feels that Brendon and I should get married the second he awakens.

Callum (exclaiming loudly): No!
Nathan: I beg your pardon. Why not?
Callum: I didn’t mean to sound so emphatic, but that seems a little too rash. I mean most patients who awaken from comas aren’t exactly in their right mental faculties to go through with an impromptu bedside wedding.

Nathan: I guess you’re right. I didn’t think of it that way.
Callum (sotto voce): And neither did that wench Allison!
Nathan: I’ll make certain we get married a few days afterwards. Anyway, I should get going.

He rose from the couch. Callum likewise got up to see him to the door and, opening it, was shocked to see Dr. Peyton Ashland standing in the doorway about to press the doorbell.

Nathan: Peyton! It’s good seeing you. So you’re here to pay Callum a visit?
Peyton: Yes, we have some “business” to handle.
Nathan: Okay, well, I’ll leave you two to it. Nice talking with you, Callum. See you later.

Peyton enters the house as Nathan leaves. After the door is closed, Peyton’s demeanor totally changes.

Peyton: Look, Callum, I need that DVD right now.
Callum: Are we back on that train again? Why would I hand it over to you? You’re supposed to be taking care of Allison for me. You see this injury to my face? She’s responsible for it! And now the bitch is planting thoughts in Nathan’s head about marriage to Brendon.

Peyton: She hit you?
Callum: What do you expect from an uncivilized woman? She’s upset that Nathan is falling for me.
Peyton: Nathan loves Brendon.
Callum: Blah blah blah… what else is new? I guess you haven’t heard the news yet from Allison. Nathan kissed me yesterday. She indubitably thinks I’m lying, but I’m betting that if she confronts him about it, Nathan will be forced to tell the truth, being the honorable man that he is.
Peyton: I’m tired of talking about Nathan. I need that DVD.
Callum: No…
Peyton: You don’t understand, Callum. I seriously need some peace of mind.
Callum: Too bad you weren’t thinking that way ten months ago when you were seeking a “piece of ass.”

Peyton: I’m not going to be your accomplice in destroying Nathan and Brendon’s relationship, and I’m definitely not going to ward off Allison for you.

Callum: Nathan’s resolve is waning fast. His kissing me was evidence of that, and had you not shown up at an inopportune time just now, I would have persuaded him to stay for dinner, and I’m certain he would have loved dessert.

Peyton: I’m glad to know that I stopped you from sinking your claws into him.
Callum: You’re sounding more and more like Allison, which is not good since she’s on my hit list now. Speaking of hits, I just realized you could help me get rid of Allison.
Peyton: How so?

Suddenly, Godfrey enters the room, announcing that dinner is ready.

Callum: Godfrey, make sure our guests are served. Dr. Ashland and I have to take a trip over to Ms. Trudeau’s home.

Peyton: We do? This is my first time hearing this.
Callum: If you want what’s in my safe, you’ll go with me. Tonight, we’re going to role play.
Peyton (going along with Callum’s game): And which role am I playing?
Callum (opening the door and pushing him out): The most important one… that of my alibi!
Godfrey (rushing up to Callum as he’s exiting): I’m begging you, My Lord, please don’t do this.
Callum: It’s beyond my control, Godfrey. All will be lost if Allison is not stopped dead in her tracks. Your little gaffe was an unconscious reaction to what I’ve been telling you, and now you believe me.

Godfrey: Surely, there is another way than guns. You’ll get caught! Please think this through!
Callum: Godfrey, thanks for reminding me. I was about to foolishly leave unprepared. (grabbing the pistol from the wooden box) Please have dinner ready for me when I get back. I’m sure to have a raging appetite then.

NATHAN MOYNIHAN’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

The music of Billie Myers’ “Kiss the Rain” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MibKBAnjhU) plays in the background of the following action:

Nathan rushed to his car, started the engine, and sat in it for a few seconds, thinking over his recent inability to fully lay out limits for Callum. While it was true that Callum had not overtly misread him, he wanted to take Jeremy’s advice and make certain to Callum that he knew that yesterday’s kiss was wrong. Or was it? Yes, it was! But it felt so right!


He willed himself to think of Brendon as he drove the short distance back to their home. I initiated it. I’m rightfully to blame for any fallout from it. I must tell Brendon when he awakens. Or does he even have to know? Nathan knew that the kiss had been a powerful force that took him to a special place within those few seconds. I even touched him again just now. What the hell is wrong with me? He got out his car, unlocked the front door of his home, rushed to the phone to see if there any messages on the answering machine—none—and then went upstairs to his bedroom to take a nap. Foregoing any need for protocol by way of pulling back the bedspread, he threw his body onto the bed. Something hard stabbed against his back on contact. Reaching his hand underneath, he withdrew the hardbound book. It was the copy of Our Autumnal Youth that he hadn’t been able to find. It must have slid over to Brendon’s side when I last read it in bed before retiring for the day a few nights ago. It was just as Jeremy had said…he couldn’t even get away from Callum, and ironically in this case, not even within his own bedroom. Nathan opened the book and resumed reading from where he had last left.

ALLISON TRUDEAU AND CHLOE DALTON’S HOME, LOS FELIZ

Vittoria waited outside in Allison’s backyard, having once attempted entering the house, but Allison stayed downstairs in the kitchen, preparing something on the stove. Her vendetta was with Chloe, not Allison, and she didn’t want to shed any innocent blood. Besides, Allison looked pretty strong and may prove a difficult challenge should they get into a fight. After what seemed like an interminable time, Allison went upstairs, finding Chloe in her bedroom, awakening from her nap. She went over to her and sat on the bed next to her. She kissed her tenderly.

Allison: Chloe, I’m so sorry. I don’t want us to ever argue like that again. You mean the world to me, and I want you to know that.
Chloe: I love you, Allison. I just want you to be here for me and our child.
Allison: From this moment forth, I’m totally committing to you and this baby (placing her hand on Chloe’s belly)
Chloe: Your hands are very warm. What were you doing downstairs? I smell something cooking all the way up here.
Allison (taking Chloe’s hands in hers): I prepared something special for us. We’ll have it after our walk in the park. I thought it would be great for us to go see the sunset. Are you game for it?
Chloe (hugging and kissing Allison): With you, I’m game for anything.
Allison: Come on, if we leave now, we’ll have time to find our special spot to see the sun setting.
Chloe: I’ll get my coat just in case it’s too cool.

Chloe rose and went into the closet, pulling her jacket off the rack. They then went downstairs. Allison checked the oven to make sure that their dinner was cooking well, and then they headed outside through the front door. Vittoria had crawled around to the front yard’s entrance on the side of the house, her presence kept secret by the vines curling across the wooden gate.

Chloe: Do you think the park will be full this time of evening? It’s still tourist season.
Allison: I’m sure we’ll have our special spot to ourselves. Griffith Park is huge, you know.

They got inside the car, the engine started, and it backed out the driveway and sped off in the direction of Griffith Park. Vittoria emerged from her hiding spot, and having overheard the location of their final destination, rushed to her car down the street, and headed in the same direction. As if by my some strange magnetism, Callum’s car was speeding in the same direction, Peyton having pointed out to him that Allison and Chloe were just pulling out of their driveway. All three parties seemed destined to converge at the appointed location of Griffith Park.

GRIFFITH PARK, LOS ANGELES

The park had been restored to its pristine quality after that morning’s festivities with the Pediatric AIDS Foundation Charity Run/Walk. Allison and Chloe pulled up to the parking lot alongside the Outrunners Saturday morning meeting location near the park ranger’s station. Vittoria’s car sped farther up the hill, parking several yards away from them. She got out her car and observed the couple from afar, who were now hugging each other and beginning to walk across the street in the direction of the horse trails. Callum drove his car higher up the hill, passing Vittoria and instantly noticing her presence.

Peyton: Why did we follow Allison and Chloe here? They’re probably just talking a romantic walk.
Callum: Stay right here… I need to speak with someone.

Callum got out his car and rushed down the hill just in time to reach Vittoria, who herself was about to move in the direction of Allison and Chloe.

Callum: Going somewhere, Vittoria?
Vittoria (spinning around): Do I know you? Are you a cop?
Callum: Would a cop be wearing designer originals? I’m Callum Sutcliffe, and I know why you’re here.
Vittoria: Oh do you?
Callum: Yeah, I wasn’t born yesterday, dear. You and I are cut from the same cloth. We like to rid ourselves of those nuisances that threaten our survival. For the past ten minutes, I’ve watched you follow Allison and Chloe from their home to this park.

Vittoria: Tristan told you, didn’t he? I swear he can’t keep his big mouth shut.
Callum: Don’t blame him, dear. That mouth of his will inevitably get him into trouble. At any rate, I’m here to help you.

Vittoria: Excuse me?
Callum: Well, you can’t do away with Chloe with a knife. Don’t try to hide it from me. I saw it when I was coming down the hill. You were brandishing it as if you were some sultry villainess. I think you need to elevate to a better weapon (producing the gun and attempting to hand it to her).

Vittoria: What the fuck?
Callum: Take it! This way you can get rid of them both from afar, and it won’t be so messy.
Vittoria: My beef is not with Allison. It’s with her bitch girlfriend, who went to Kyle.
Callum: And you think Allison won’t figure out that you were behind her lover’s death? You’d be the first suspect they would call in.

Vittoria: I-I don’t know about this.
Callum: Vittoria, I’ve got your back. I give you my word that nothing will happen to you if you do this job for me… just take care of them both! I’m a very powerful, wealthy man, and I needn’t tell you what that means here in Los Angeles, land of celebrity slap-on-the-wrists for felonious crimes. You saw the check I wrote out to Tristan. I could write you one ten times that amount should it come to your having to ditch town to evade the law.

Vittoria (stammering further): I-I r-really don’t know
Callum (forcing the firearm into her hand): Of course, you know that Kyle Walgrove won’t stop until he finds someone to blame for Justin’s disappearance, and right now you’re suspect numero uno thanks to Chloe Dalton. You haven’t much time to get rid of her.

Vittoria: You promise you’ll handle Kyle?
Callum: Don’t worry about Kyle Walgrove. I’ll take care of him. His troubles are only about to begin, and believe me, you’ll be the last thing on his mind when they come crashing down on him.

Vittoria took the gun, slipped it into her purse alongside her knife, and rushed down the hill in the direction of the horse trails where she saw Chloe and Allison, walking, hand-in-hand together. She had managed to reach several feet away from them and hid herself behind a large, greenish shrub. Allison and Chloe had stopped in the middle of the trail to have a brief conversation while Allison bent down to tie her shoelaces. This granted Vittoria long enough time to pull out the gun and point it in their direction, aiming it directly at Chloe. Her hand curled around the trigger and pulled back.

Nothing happened. The gun seemed to have jammed. She fumbled with it. In that short span of time, an equestrian appeared in the distance coming toward the couple, its horse a majestic creature of beauty. Vittoria, having fixed the gun, now aimed it in Chloe’s direction, and started to pull the trigger, but just as she did so, she lost her balance, her high heeled boot slipping on a rock. The gunfire rang out like a firecracker within a nursery, its noise blindingly frightening, and scaring the horse, which began galloping at a fast pace. Out the corner of her eye, she saw Allison drop as if she had been hit. The equestrian had to pull harshly on the reins, but by that point, the horse had run close upon Chloe, who was standing in disbelief. Vittoria pulled the trigger again, mindless of the direction, and this time the horse neighed on its hind legs at a screaming Chloe, the equestrian losing his balance and falling to the hard ground. Completely petrified as if her feet had grown sturdy roots and taken permanent residence in the earth, Chloe stood in shock, her throat emitting screams that further antagonized the frightened creature. Its hooves came knocking down into her fragile body, sending her flying sideways into the wooden railings. The horse continued galloping in the direction of Vittoria, who holding the pistol and greatly satisfied with what she saw, waited in the bushes as the horse passed her.

Vittoria surreptitiously escaped the scene of the crime and rushed in reverse through the trails and back to the park ranger station—which would undoubtedly receive reports of gunfire soon. She met back up with Callum at the top of the hill, breathless, the gun now secured in her purse.

Callum: Did you get the job done?
Vittoria (puffing for air): We need to get the fuck out of here now!
Callum: While I would like to see the carnage, I do agree with you in that we should both leave at once! The authorities needn’t question us when they arrive to cot off Allison and Chloe’s bloodied corpses.
Vittoria: Let’s just go right now!
Callum: Meet me back at my place. Here’s the address (handing her a card). I’ve already phoned Tristan. He’ll be there waiting for you.

Their meeting adjourned, Vittoria rushed back to her vehicle, got inside it, and sped off the down the hill to the main park exit. Callum got into his car.

Peyton: Why did you bring me here? And why do you keep getting out the car?
Callum: I brought you here for us to see the sunset together. Isn’t it beautiful?
Peyton: You’re up to something. Where are Allison and Chloe?
Callum: I imagine they are enjoying their own personal sunsets. Anyway, let’s get back home for some roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I insist you dine with me.
Peyton: I’m willing to do just about anything to get that DVD.

Callum started the car and drove off into the sunset in the direction of his home in Hollycove, completely satisfied with the damage that he had just wrought.

TO BE CONTINUED…

1 comment:

tipperts said...

I'm rivited...

Thanks for the thrill ride!