Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 9: "A Pack of Lies"

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Vittoria drank her second cosmopolitan as she ruminated over what she knew and had discovered. Both Justin Roberts and the horseback rider were currently staying in Callum’s house. Both of them potentially held incriminating information on her—Justin could testify against her as his drug dealer and the horseback rider may have seen her fire the gun at both Chloe and Allison. Callum surely was covering all his bases, but what if they were to double-cross him and go to the cops? And then there was still the issue of Chloe Dalton still being alive. What was stopping her from going to the police? And how was Callum going to stop her? And then there was Brendon Roberts alive and out of the coma. When would it all end?

Callum: You seem to be in great thought.

Vittoria (startled): Callum, you’re—

Callum: Finished? Yes, I am. I decided that this would be a novella, and to hell with what Armitage & Burnham thinks. I have too much work to do, starting with you, Vittoria.

Vittoria: Me?

Callum: Yes, it appears you are threatening my guests.

Vittoria: Don’t you mean hostages? I know that you’re holding Justin Roberts here along with the horseback rider.

Callum: You’re welcome to leave at any time. In fact, I’m evicting you from my place effective immediately.

Vittoria: You can’t do that! We had a deal.

Callum: That deal still stands. I’m keeping you out of jail, but I need Justin Roberts here with me for the time being. He issued me an ultimatum just now… either you go or he leaves. He won out.

Vittoria: I’ll go to the cops with the news that you have him. You know they’re offering a big reward.

Callum: Are you that dense? Justin will rat you to the cops, and if he doesn’t, then Chloe will, and if she doesn’t, then I will.

Vittoria: We went through this the other night. You can’t entirely blackmail us since we both have dirt on you—even more now since you’re holding both Justin and the horseback rider.

Callum: It’s in your best interest not to even think of crossing me, Vittoria. I have the attempted murder weapon in my possession—the crowbar.

Vittoria (her eyes enlarged): W-What—

Callum: I see that shut your trap. You do or say anything, and that crowbar is on Detective Kyle Walgrove’s desk in record time. I’m betting the fingerprints on it are yours or Tristan’s in addition to that being both Brendon and Nathan’s blood on it. I have the goods on you so don’t think you’ll be getting the best of me.

Vittoria: So what are we going to do about Brendon? He’s awake, you know.

Callum: Godfrey just informed me of that prior to Justin’s coming to me to bitch about you. It appears that you and Tristan have your work cut out for you. It’s time that Brendon Roberts draws his last breath.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, BRENDON ROBERTS’ ROOM

Both sets of eyes bored into Nathan, who stood frozen in the doorway.

Nathan: You two look surprised to see me. I said I’d be here just as soon as I could.

Allison: Nathan, how could you?

Nathan (coming into the room): How could I what?

Brendon (staring at the photos): Who’s this?

Allison (snatching the photos from Brendon and shoving them at Nathan): This!

Nathan stared incredulously, his heartbeat racing into overdrive as his greatest anxiety overtook him.

Nathan: I-I can explain.

Allison: I can’t believe you would do something like this, Nathan. After all you two have been through!

Nathan: Brendon, I’m so sorry. It’s not what you’re thinking.

Brendon: What am I supposed to be thinking, Nathan? That you gave up on us?

Nathan: No, I was just comforting him.

Brendon: Comforting him?

Allison: You have a funny way of showing it.

Brendon: Who is this guy?

Allison: His name is Callum Sutcliffe. The asshole’s been after Nathan from practically the moment you were in the hospital. Not even a knockdown punch from me could slow him.

Nathan (surprised): What? You were the one who punched him?

Allison (defensively): I told him to stay the hell away from you.

Nathan: You hit him. Now I can’t believe you’d go that far to make a point. Becoming violent!

Allison: Don’t you dare stand up for that bastard.

Nathan: Watch your mouth!

Brendon: Why should she, Nathan?

Nathan: Allison, could you give us some privacy? I’d like to speak with Brendon alone.

Allison: Nathan—

Nathan: I’m not arguing with you, Allison. This is between Brendon and me. You’ve done enough already.

Allison reluctantly leaves the room, fuming at the seams. Once the door closes behind her, Dido’s “Take My Hand” (www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVM_az0Zjw) begins playing softly in the background. Nathan comes and sits down next to Brendon.

Brendon: I just want you to be honest with me. Is there something going on between you and this guy?

Nathan: No, like I told you, I was foolishly comforting him. We were having a conversation about our respective partners—you were still in the coma, and Callum lost his partner last year. Things just got a little emotional, and I-I just reacted…

Brendon: By kissing him, Nathan?

Nathan: No, that was not my intention. It just-just happened. Look, you know I love you and always will.

Brendon: This wasn’t exactly what I had hoped to awaken to.

Nathan (interlacing his hands with Brendon’s): You’ve got to believe me, Brendon. I love you and only you. Nothing else happened between Callum and me.

Brendon: Are you serious? You know I hate it when you hold back things from me. Is there anything else you’re not telling me?

Nathan (bending forward to kiss him): Other than I love you?

Brendon: I love you, too, Nathan.

Nathan (whispering): I can’t wait to eventually get you home.

Brendon: I see your sex drive is still intact.

Nathan: So can we put this little mishap behind us?

Brendon: I believe you, and I forgive you for this little mishap… as long as you’re honest with me. You’re not keeping anything else from me?

Nathan: Look, I have to run back to campus, but I’ll be back here just as soon as I get the chance.

Brendon: I love you.

Nathan (bending down to kiss him): Ditto.

He leaves the room just as the nurse comes in to check on Brendon, who then requests to have the television turned on and programmed specifically to an independent film channel. There was brief news coverage on, announcing that he—Brendon Roberts, renowned Hollywood independent filmmaker—had recently awakened from his coma. The news reporter went on to announce that Mr. Roberts’ nephew was still missing after nearly a week of the police searching for him.

Brendon’s mind immediately began running a marathon of questions: What are they talking about? Had Justin really been missing for nearly a week? If so, why hadn’t Nathan told me? What else is he keeping from me?

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, CHLOE DALTON’S ROOM

Allison barged into Chloe’s room, completely enraged over Nathan’s insensitive reaction to the predicament in which Callum had placed them. Ever since his arrival, Callum has been knee-deep in all the problems that have happened. How could Nathan defend him like that? Chloe was sitting up in bed, listlessly staring into space. She turned her head and looked at Allison, noticing the anger on her face.

Chloe: What’s wrong? Is it Brendon? Did he relapse?

Allison: It’s Callum. He really kissed Nathan, and the bastard had the audacity to send Brendon photos of them kissing in a get-well-soon card.

Chloe: Allison, I don’t really want to talk about that right now.

Allison: I can’t believe this creep. He’ll stop at nothing. What he did to you and now Nathan—

Chloe (interrupting her): What did you just say? He’s responsible for what happened to me?

Allison: No, you misunderstood me.

Chloe: Don’t lie to me, Allison. You pretty much flat out stated he’s responsible for this. And if he is, you’re partially to blame for this as well.

Allison: What?

Chloe: I warned you to end this vendetta you’ve waged against him, but you didn’t listen to me.

Allison (approaching Chloe and wrapping her arms around her): I’m so sorry to have upset you.

Chloe (tears streaming): This wouldn’t have happened if you had agreed to the procedure a few years back.

Allison: Chloe, honey, let’s not talk about this.

Chloe: Why did I have to be the one to carry the child? I had to make the sacrifice because you were too committed to your damn career and didn’t want to be burdened for nine months.

Allison: Chloe, calm down, honey. We’ve been through this countless times.

Chloe: I wanted to have a baby so much that I put myself through the procedure three different times and now I can’t have any children.

Allison kisses her, holding her hand and giving her a firm reassurance that all is well. Chloe continues crying. She tries to push Allison away, and then shrieks in pain, her back throbbing in terrible pain.

Allison: Relax, Chloe. Lay back. I’ll get one of the doctors in here. You probably need some more painkillers.

She kisses her again and rushes out to get the doctor.

HEATH ALCOTT’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD, WEDNESDAY MORNING

Heath awoke early horny as hell and craving Kyle’s cock inside him, hammering for an encore of last night. It had been several weeks since they last had made love. Heath was totally disappointed to find the other side of the bed once more empty. What the hell is he thinking, playing with my heart like this? Maroon 5’s “Makes Me Wonder” (www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrF8vxLRDNE) begins playing as Heath jumps out the bed, grabs his cell phone to call Kyle only to get his voicemail, then calls Tristan only to get his voicemail, too. Where the hell were they? He grabbed his clothes, put them on, rushed outside to his car, hopped in it, and drove westward down Santa Monica Boulevard, the wind whipping through his curly blond locks.

Reaching the coastal city of Santa Monica, he stopped at a coffeehouse, and while placing his order, he turned around when he heard someone calling his name. It was Callum Sutcliffe, who he hadn’t been formally introduced to. He presently walked over to him.

Callum: Heath, is it? I was trying to recall your name from the circle of introduction at the fun runs.

Heath: Well, I’m glad that you remembered my name. So what brings you to Santa Monica?

Callum: I was just having a meeting with my financial adviser over two business acquisitions I just made. What brings you this way?

Heath: Well, I was bored and horny. Kyle was not at home, and I thought to come to the beach. It always calms my nerves.

Callum: Mine, too. I love the sea. It’s so beautiful and relaxing, and I particularly need some relaxation after the past 48 hours I’ve had.

Heath: Tristan told me that you had purchased the mansion in Hollycove.

Callum: Yes, I did. Are you friends with Tristano?

Heath: Through Outrunners. We— (pause) like working out together. You know that’s a good way to ease some stress. Hey, I’ve got an idea. We could take a pilates course at Bralen Jones’ studio in Malibu. I only take lessons from him as he teaches great techniques for your abs. I don’t think his studio opens for another hour or so. Perhaps we could catch him at his place before he leaves. Are you game?

Callum: Well, I haven’t anything on schedule for the rest of the day. Besides, this would grant me some time to bond with you and Bralen. I need to socialize more with Outrunners. You never know what may come of befriending people.

BRALEN JONES’ HOME, SANTA MONICA

Tristan Bersani pulled Bralen closer to him, their lips locking in a fiery embrace when Bralen pushed him back onto the couch and mounted him. Both had their clothing on, and Tristan grasped Bralen’s shirt, yanking it over his head to exposing Bralen’s finely cut torso. They went back to kissing and Bralen’s hand went rummaging around Tristan’s groin, feeling for the hardening mass within his pants, his fingers frantically moving toward the zipper, tugging on it to release the behemoth sheltered inside. Bralen’s mouth dropped down to Tristan’s cock, wetting its foreskin while his hand tugged on the shaft. Eventually his mouth took it down to the base, and Bralen once more noted the look of wonder on Tristan’s face—it never ceased to amaze Bralen that others were enthralled with his lack of a gag reflex.

Tristan rose from his lying position and completely disrobed, and Bralen adjusted his body to achieve a 69 formation as they both tried to please the other, Tristan’s mouth easily taking Bralen’s member with a deep inhalation. Bralen continued engulfing Tristan’s dick before withdrawing his mouth and moving to straddle himself once more upon Tristan, this time placing Tristan’s erection in the appointed place. The fierce movement thus commenced, and soon thereafter Bralen began unleashing the loudest screams his lungs were capable of letting loose. He placed his hands on Tristan’s magnificent chest as he pushed body backward, feeling Tristan’s hardness completely overtake every nerve fiber within him. Just that moment, Bralen salaciously thought about Dr. Peyton Ashland, and how it might feel if Peyton fucked him since both he and Tristan were fairly gifted in cock size. I’ll have to ask the good doctor to join us the next time. Tristan noticed the smile on Bralen’s face, conceitedly thinking that Bralen was only thinking about him.

Tristan: You like it, pretty boy?

Bralen: Hell yeah!

They continued in this fashion for several more minutes, Bralen breaking out into a fierce sweat despite his place being heavily air-conditioned. As the intercourse reached a fevered pitch, Tristan withdrew himself from Bralen, tore off the condom, and began jerking himself until the creamy eruptions splashed onto Bralen’s enviable abs. Tristan then collapsed onto his back, and Bralen did the same to him, speckling his load onto Tristan’s bronzed body.

Bralen: Hey, if you’ve still got some energy left, I can pop into the kitchen and get some whipped cream.

Tristan (laughing): Dude, you’re freaky, but I’m game for it.

Bralen (kissing him): Be right back!

Bralen quickly puts on some trunks, goes into the kitchen, and opens the refrigerator, just as he hears a knock at his door. He goes to it and thoughtlessly opens it.

Bralen: Callum, what are you doing here?

Callum (witnessing the sinewy spectacle before him): Wow, Bralen, I didn’t know you were paying homage to There’s Something about Mary?

Bralen: What are you talking about?

Callum (gesturing to his exposed stomach): Don’t expect me to use that as hair gel.

Bralen (looking down at himself and rubbing the semen into his skin): Oops…sorry about that… got a little carried away.

Heath (coming up behind Callum): Yeah, it looks like you needed some relief, Mr. Olympian, but I would never have pegged you for solos. That does look like quite a load… you’ve been saving up.

Bralen: It wasn’t all my doing.

Tristan (coming into the room, oblivious of present company): Hey, Babe, where’s that whipped cream?

His eyes meet those of Heath’s, who was staring at the naked body that had ravaged him innumerable times for the past several months. Heath’s attention honed in on the seminal remnants on Tristan’s chest that gleamed in the fluorescent kitchen lighting.

Heath: You fucking bastard! (turning to run away)

Bralen (turning to face Tristan): What was that about?

Callum: Tristano, I had no idea you were part of the FBI.

Bralen (misunderstanding him): Callum, Tristan is a “Full Blooded Italian.”

Callum: No, I meant as in he’s part of “Fuck Buddies, Incorporated.” Shame on you both! (turning to run after Heath)

Bralen: I repeat, what the hell was that about?

Tristan: Beats me! (leaning in to kiss Bralen)

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Justin Roberts looked out the upstairs window to see Vittoria with her suitcase. She really was leaving the estate, but he still needed a way to get out, too. He didn’t really trust Callum, but he knew that Callum was a powerful and wealthy man. He could leave just as soon as he got more money out of Callum in exchange for his keeping quiet. But what was the use of getting money if you don’t have the freedom to spend it? He had no phone or Internet access. It was becoming a prison, and he had to escape it.

He went downstairs and out onto the terrace, taking his expensive portable video game with him. Summoning Godfrey, he never got a response after several minutes of waiting, which was rare as Godfrey was a paragon of punctuality. He then saw Godfrey through the French windows leading into the house. It appeared he was having an intimate conversation with Callum, and Justin felt compelled to be in on what they were talking about so he surreptitiously crept to the door to eavesdrop.

Godfrey: How was your day, Your Lordship?

Callum: Rather eventful. I discovered that Tristano is a real whore, not only is he consorting with Heath Alcott but also Bralen Jones. There was an explosive revelation just an hour ago, but I was unable to reach Heath, who bolted from the scene. He got into his car and sped off down Pacific Coast Highway. I just hope he doesn’t do anything stupid. He’ll make an excellent pawn for what I have planned. Anything happen while I was out?

Godfrey: Ms. Morelli has taken leave of the estate.

Callum: Yes, I saw her leaving. Good riddance if you ask me.

Godfrey: Yes, I’m tempted to agree with you. She was going through our entire alcohol supply. If I hear the word “cosmopolitan” one more time, I’ll scream.

Callum: Well, both she and Tristano are back at their West Hollywood abode. Has Mr. Moynihan called today?

Godfrey: No, but Dr. Ashland came by for a few minutes. He asked to speak with you, and when I duly informed him that you may be out for an extensive period, he chose to stay and wait for you. He helped himself to the minibar in my brief absence from the room, but as I was on my way back, I found him in your private sitting room—taking a photo of the wall safe with his mobile phone.

Callum: As always, Godfrey, you have proven an invaluable asset. And once more, I’ll be two steps ahead of Peyton when he makes his next visit—which I know he will soon—and I want you to be most hospitable to all his whims.

At that moment, Inga rushed into the room, cradling a baby in her hands and hysterically shouting in Swedish at Callum.

Callum: Did you call the pediatrician?

Inga (brokenly): Must go hospital now. Fever over 39 degrees.

Godfrey: I’ll have the car pulled around immediately. That’s a life-threatening temperature for an infant.

Callum: Thank you, Godfrey. (turning to Inga) Please calm down. We’ll get him to a doctor soon.

The car was pulled forward, and Callum and inga with the baby got into it, and the car drove off at a speeding pace to…

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL

They rushed into Hollywood Hospital, alerting the nurses’ station of the emergency. Inga went ahead to the pediatric ward while Callum filled out the paperwork. He rushed after them, but missed the elevator. He waited an interminable amount of time, and then decided to rush up the stairs.

After jogging up several flights, he accidentally came out on the wrong floor. Given the stress of the day, he had completely forgotten which floor pediatrics was located. He would go to the nurses’ station on this particular floor. He approached it but stopped dead in his tracks when he heard a familiar voice.

Allison: What the hell are you doing here? How dare you show your face here after all the trouble you’ve caused!

Callum (turning around): I might be coming here to have proper nursing for the injury I suffered at your hands.

Allison: I see I didn’t hit hard enough!

Callum: I should let you know that I’m distantly related to Naomi Campbell. If only I had a large enough mobile phone with me when I was outside with you the other day! Nevertheless, I haven’t time to indulge in any conversation with you. It’s urgent I get to pediatrics as I have a relative in dire—

Allison: Pediatrics? You fucking asshole! You’re just saying that to rub salt into our wounds.

Callum: What are you talking about? You’re speaking in riddles.

Allison: I know you were responsible for what happened to Chloe and me. I know you’re the reason she lost our baby.

Callum: Oh, my goodness, I’m so sorry to hear that.

Allison: Cut the act! This is what you wanted all along. It’s payback for what I did to you except I should have taken your whole jaw off.

Callum: Pipe down, Xena Warrior Princess! I see a bullet in your shoulder couldn’t even keep you in bed. Nonetheless, I can assure you I had nothing to do with what happened to Chloe.

Allison: Oh yeah, then explain why is the equestrian mysteriously missing? The one who could possibly identify who shot at both Chloe and me?

Callum: I know nothing of that, although perhaps he feared you were going to be his surgeon and might accidentally cut off his penis. Lord knows you’ve been in a lifelong search for one.

Allison (raising her lone mobile hand to strike him): You bastard!

Suddenly, a dominant voice prevents her from going through with the action. Nathan Moynihan rushes up to them.

Nathan: Stop it, Allison! That’s enough!

Allison (withdrawing her hand midair): Don’t tell me you’re still standing up for him. He’s responsible for everything that’s gone wrong. Chloe losing the baby, my being shot, and now you and Brendon arguing over those photos of you kissing him.

Callum (surprised): What did you just say? What photos?

Allison (turning to him): Don’t act all innocent now that Nathan has arrived. You know damn well the photos I’m talking about. You sent them to Brendon in a get-well-soon card. I bet you were hoping he’d go into shock and have a relapse.

Callum: I honestly haven’t any idea what the hell you’re talking about!

Nathan: Allison, it would be best if you’d leave right now. I need to speak with Callum alone.

Allison (testily): Oh no, I’m not leaving you with him. When will you understand that he’s trouble?

Nathan: I’m not going to repeat myself. Go now!

Allison (reluctantly): I’ll be with Chloe if you need to speak with me. (leaving and giving Callum the evil eye as she does so)

Callum (sighing): Thank you, Nathan, for coming to my rescue.

Nathan (emotionlessly): We need to talk now.

Callum: Okay, but I need to get to the pediatric ward except I don’t know which floor it’s on.

Nathan (heading toward the elevator): I’ll take you there, and we can talk along the way.

Callum: Hopefully, the elevators are operable right now.

Nathan pushes the button, the doors open, and they enter. Upon their closing, Nathan’s demeanor completely changes.

Nathan: Callum, I need to know that you had nothing to do with those photos being sent to Brendon.

Callum: I’m just as surprised as you were. I had no idea about this. Why would I go through the trouble of having pictures taken of us together? I hadn’t any prior knowledge that you were going to kiss me.

Nathan: You do make a good point.

Callum (the doors opening on the right floor and both of them exiting): Who would do something so insensitive?

Nathan: You must remember I’m headmaster over a popular preparatory school, and I’m a tough disciplinarian at that. Those kids would do anything to take their vengeance out on me.

Callum: You think it was one of your students?

Nathan (guiding him into the pediatric ward): That’s really the only other logical explanation unless you’re lying to me as Allison suggests.

The Hoosiers’ “Run Rabbit Run” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMqrlKuhqIk) begins to play in the background of the scene.

Callum (moving closer to him): Nathan, I couldn’t lie you about something so important. I absolutely knew nothing about those photos. I’m just as surprised as you for someone to take advantage of an intimate moment between two people.

Nathan: Intimate?

Callum: Wouldn’t you say so? We were both pouring our hearts out to each other, letting out pent-up emotions (reaching out to grasp Nathan’s hand)

Nathan: What are you doing?

Callum (placing Nathan’s hand to his chest): I swear to you on my heart that I didn’t betray you.

Nathan (jerking his hand away): Callum, I really don’t think we should—

Callum: It’s important to me that you know that. I really admire you as a person, and that fleeting moment we shared still burns brightly in my memory.

Nathan: You led me to believe you weren’t affected by it.

Callum: And Catherine Earnshaw misled Heathcliff when she married Edgar Linton, knowing fully well whom she really loved with all her heart.

Nathan: Don’t reference literature now, Callum. It only exposes another of your lies of omission.

Callum: I beg your pardon. What are you talking about?

Nathan: I know you wrote the novel I was telling you about… the one that I have read to Brendon while he was in the coma. Why didn’t you tell me the other day when I was talking about it?

Callum: We’ve already been through this. I told you that it was an awkward situation. We were both talking about our partners, and it would have seemed ironically odd for me to say that the love story I wrote was giving you hope during your time of great vulnerability.

Nathan: Vulnerability?

Callum: You kissed me, Nathan… and for the record, I don’t regret it happening as long as it brought you some form of peace. You’re a remarkable man—much like my Gavin was—and I couldn’t bear to see you in a state of—

Nathan: Stop, Callum. I think I know where this is heading, and I really think you—no, we—should step back a moment and—

Suddenly, a doctor approaches Callum, interrupting his intimate conversation with Nathan.

Dr. Williams: Mr. Sutcliffe, my name is Dr. Williams. You are Edward Armitage’s father?

Callum (growing solemn): Yes, I am. Is he going to be okay?

Dr. Williams: Fortunately, you got him here to us in time. Another hour and I cringe to think what may have happened. He’s not out of the woods yet.

Callum: Oh, Dr. Williams, please do what you must to save him. He’s all I have left. May I see him?

Dr. Williams: Yes, I’ll alert the nurses that you’re coming.

Once the doctor leaves, Nathan stares at Callum.

Nathan: Yet another secret you’ve kept! I didn’t know you were a father.

Callum: I’m not. It’s a rather complicated situation. He’s technically Gavin’s biological son, but I’m his legal guardian. We always wanted a family, and the surrogate bitter sweetly agreed to the procedure a mere week before Gavin was lost at sea. I just can’t bear to lose my last connection to him.

Nathan: I completely understand your ordeal… losing a child is a catastrophe no one should endure.

Callum (teary-eyed): Oh, God, how I wish Gavin were here… he’d know what to do.

Nathan (approaching Callum): It’ll be all right.

Callum (tears flowing over his cheeks): Can you promise me that? (expertly moving within hugging range of Nathan)

Nathan (allowing Callum to place his chin on his shoulder but still hesitant to wrap hands around him to fully complete the hug): I-I’m here for you. (compromisingly patting Callum’s back with his right hand)

Dr. Allison Trudeau walks into the ward at that moment, having impatiently waited for Nathan to return to Brendon’s room. She is completely staggered at the scene before her: Callum and Nathan in a partial embrace, Callum’s face crested on Nathan’s shoulder, his smug face in her direction, his eyes glossed over with tears. Suddenly, Callum saw Allison over in the corner looking at them, and his face gave just the slightest expression of a victorious smile before he separated his body from Nathan.

Callum: Thank you, Nathan.

Nathan (guiding Callum away): Now let’s get you to your son. Dr. Williams is most likely wondering what the holdup is.

Having seen this display of emotion between Nathan and Callum, Allison felt powerless in that moment. How am I to get to Nathan and alert him to Callum’s real intentions? He’s just too trusting. There’s only one option left. I need to tell Brendon everything so that he knows what he’s facing. She rushes off to Brendon’s room.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, SAME TIME

Dr. Peyton Ashland and Drake Michener pull into Callum’s driveway.

Drake: I don’t know why you’re bringing me here. You know how much I can’t stand Callum. He didn’t exactly make a good first impression on me in Santa Monica with all his stupid catty remarks.

Peyton: Look, Drake, he has something that I need, and it’s hidden in his safe. All you have to do is open it for me.

Drake: Isn’t that stealing, Peyton? What exactly does he have?

Peyton: Believe me when I say you don’t want to know! Let’s go.

They both get out the car and walk to the door, ringing the bell. Godfrey answers, and immediately informs them that Callum has gone out on an emergency and may not be back for an extensive period of time. Peyton then quickly introduced Drake Michener to Godfrey.

Peyton: The other day I left some of my clothing here along with my address book. May I come in and get it?

Godfrey: Of course, Dr. Ashland. His Lordship said that you may come for your belongings, and I offer my apologies for not informing you when you came earlier today. (they enter) Would you like something to drink?

Drake: Damn! We have bar service?

Peyton: We’ll both take a gin and tonic… Thanks, Godfrey.

Godfrey: His Lordship said that you may go upstairs to get your things. Your drinks will be out shortly.

Peyton: Thanks. (once Godfrey leaves) Come on, Drake, let’s go.

They dart out the room, Peyton leading Drake down the hallway to Callum’s private sitting room. He had to keep nudging Drake to move as his attention would be drawn to the grand paintings and ornate antique furniture that lined the hallway. They finally reached their destination and stealthily crept into the room, Peyton rushing up to the wall safe.

Peyton: Holy shit!

Drake (alarmed): What is it?

Peyton couldn’t believe his eyes. It was as if a miracle had been granted to him after all the days and nights of endless prayer. He was staring in disbelief at the safe before him… the open safe before him. Whoever had last accessed it had forgotten to fully close it. Godfrey had said that Callum had rushed away on emergency. Perhaps he had got called away at the last minute and forgot to lock it.

Drake (coming up to the safe): Well, it appears you don’t need me after all.

Peyton (grinning): Exactly. Go back to the other room so that Godfrey doesn’t get suspicious. If he asks, I went to the bathroom. I’ll be there in a few minutes.

Drake obediently left the room and went back down the hallway, his attention once more drawn to the expensive and precious items in the mansion. He went over to look at the drapery, made of an expensive fabric, and when he thoughtlessly pulled them back to let in some sunshine, he stared out at the backyard, looking at the grandness of the pool and the cabana. His attention and libido were stimulated by a youthfully attractive figure coming out the water, his back to Drake, but Drake was skilled in the art of finding the beauty of the male figure from any angle. However, when the guy turned around, Drake mildly recoiled—not because the man was unattractive but rather because even from his distance Drake could tell that it was a young man. Jailbait! Besides, Drake’s partner Austin would be furious with his roaming eyes.

Godfrey: May I help you with something, Mr. Michener?

Drake (startled and spinning around): Oh, no Jeffrey, I-I was j-just looking for the bathroom.

Godfrey: You should have made a left instead of a right. Come, I’ll show you, and for the record, my name is Godfrey… not Jeffrey.

Once more Drake was corrected for mispronouncing someone’s name who happened to be British, and hearing Godfrey’s accented voice correct him only made Drake’s blood boil as it reminded him of Callum’s insensitivity toward him a few weeks back when he had made the mistake. Perhaps I’m Anglophobic, he thought, but I’m attracted to Clive Owen and Daniel Craig, and their voices only make me horny instead of angry.

At any rate, Drake knew that it appeared awkward for him to be snooping around Callum’s home, and he chose to break the ice with Godfrey.

Drake: Callum really has a lovely home. I was just admiring all the paintings and furniture.

Godfrey: His Lordship would be delighted with your praise of the home. The majority of the paintings and furniture were flown in from his English estate. (pausing) And here is the restroom. I trust that you can find your way back to the reception area. Your drinks will be there. If there’s anything else you may need, please ring for me.

Godfrey left, and Drake rushed into bathroom, waited a few moments to give the simulation that he had used the facility, turned on the cold water faucet and splashed water on his face, before coming out into the hallway once more. He quickly rushed back to the window and peeked out but didn’t see anyone. Why did that person seem somewhat familiar? He didn’t want to remain locked in thought so he went back to the reception area to get his drink.

Meanwhile, Peyton quickly pulled open the safe door, peering inside at all the articles stowed away. There really didn’t look to be much inside it, but that did little to deter him from rifling through it in search of the DVD. At last he found it and slipped it into his pocket. Suddenly, his attention was drawn to a fragrance bottle that looked foreign and very expensive. He picked it up and read the inscription: Tentazione, and in one of his rare moments of being a queer queen, Peyton couldn’t resist the urge to put several sprays on his upper body, the mist flowing freely upon him. When he placed the bottle back into the safe, it hit something hard covered by some other papers. He brushed aside the documents only to see a gun, his eyes dilating at the sight of the firearm. He instantly thought, what on earth was Callum doing with a gun? He rashly grasped the gun to make sure it was real, turning it over in his hand. There was no doubt of its authenticity, and then it suddenly dawned on him. Could this be the gun that was used in the attacks on Allison and Chloe? It wouldn’t hurt to take it and find out for myself. I’m sure that Kyle could have someone in his department run some tests on it. And if it turns out to be the actual weapon, Callum will get exactly what he deserves—a taste of his own medicine.

Having made up his mind about it, Peyton was about to place the gun in the pocket of his slacks when suddenly something forcefully struck the back of his head. His body fell to the ground, and dark unconsciousness swept over him.

TO BE CONTINUED…





No comments: