Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 11: Breaking (and Faking) Amends

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Callum (having quietly dismissed Godfrey): Peyton, how long have you been there?

Peyton: I let myself in… to hell with protocol! Callum, I want that damn DVD!

Callum: You’ve got it. Remember you broke into my home and nicked it along with several thousand dollars in the safe.

Peyton: What the hell are you talking about? I didn’t take any money.

Callum: Oh no bother! It was only peanuts anyway.

Peyton: I want that damn DVD.

Callum: I told you that I don’t have it, but I know you tried to take my gun.

Peyton: And what about the fragrance? Nathan recognized it as the one his attacker had on. So now you’re responsible for all the attacks in the park.

Callum: Stop jumping to conclusions! I neither attacked Brendon and Nathan nor did I fire at Chloe and Allison.

Peyton: And you can prove that when the contents of your safe say otherwise?

Callum: Well, I could turn the gun into the police.

Peyton: That would be the honorable thing to do, Callum.

Callum: Well, there is still the tiny problem that your fingerprints are all over it.

Peyton (dawning on him): What? You’re trying to pin this on me.

Callum: Well, the horseback rider gave testimony that someone matching your description fired the gun in the park.

Peyton: Kyle would never believe I wanted to harm Allison or Chloe.

Callum: Maybe out of necessity if she were holding something over your head. To my understanding, you and Allison had a tiff in the hospital.

Peyton: How do you know about that?

Callum: I pay one of the nurses to keep me apprised of everything involving Outrunners patients in Hollywood Hospital. Apparently, Kyle interrupted Allison when she was threatening you.

Peyton: That’s hardly grounds for attempted murder, and besides the argument happened after she and Chloe were attacked.

Callum: That’s inconsequential information once Kyle learns that Allison knew about you and me and how she’s kept silent about it.

Peyton: Enough with the games! Where’s the DVD?

Callum: I told you. It’s in the possession of a troll, and my guess is she’s examining it for better sexual techniques.

Peyton: She? (suddenly dawning on him) You gave the DVD to Allison!

Callum: I had it planted in her office. She’s sitting on a goldmine.

Peyton: Why did you send it there?

Callum: Don’t you get it, Peyton? You have a motive for wanting to get rid of her, means since your prints are on the weapon, and well, you had opportunity as you were at Griffith Park when they were attacked.

Peyton: Correction! We were at Griffith Park, but neither of us had time to attack them. Oh why are you doing this? Kyle will never believe this in spite of whatever evidence you’ve crafted.

Callum: Well, I suppose it’s unfortunate for you that Kyle has been taken off the case.

Peyton: What the hell?

Callum: Detective Walgrove has been reassigned so that someone else can look at the case more objectively—and that can only spell trouble for you since I’m sure whoever takes over will be blown away by the cards stacked against you.

Peyton: I can’t believe this!

Callum: Believe it, and know I’m willing to throw you to the sharks for crossing me like this. I thought we had an agreement.

Peyton: You bastard!

Callum: Enough with the namecalling! I swear between you and Allison I must have a name as long as a member of the Royal Family.

Peyton: What is it that you want?

Callum: An apology. (pause) I need you to take care of Chloe Dalton. As her psychiatrist, I need you to keep her doped up on just the right amount of psychotropic drugs that minimally impairs her judgment.

Peyton: You’re one sick bastard, wanting to do this to an innocent woman who just lost her baby.

Callum: Don’t play that card with me. Just do as I say or the police get both the DVD and the gun. Now if you don’t mind, I think I shall go for a run in Pasadena (walking passed Peyton) I trust you can see yourself out. Help yourself to the minibar. Lord knows you’ll need a stiff drink after the conversation we just had. And for the record, the gun is not on this property so you’ll be wasting time searching for it. Ciao!

BRENDON ROBERTS’ ROOM, HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL

Brendon: Surely you can understand my situation. I awaken to find two of the most important men in my life have gone astray.

Nathan: I haven’t gone anywhere. I’ve been by your side ever since I regained strength to sit next to your bed. Just ask any of the nurses.

Brendon: I don’t want to question your fidelity. Can’t you see that I just want you and Justin here with me?

Nathan: It’s your vision of a happy family except you’re missing out on one important point: Justin hates my guts!

Brendon: You’re overreacting Nathan!

Nathan: Am I? You never saw how he treated me, and while you were in the coma, he berated me and undermined my authority. He skips classes, does drugs, and well, he completely terrorized Kyle and Heath.

Brendon: According to whom? Heath, that drama queen?

Nathan: I can see where Justin gets his acidic tongue.

Brendon: And as for you, Nate, you never warmed up to the idea of his coming to live with us. He probably picked up on that vibe.

Nathan: Pardon me for not having fully reconciled with the fact that my partner of twelve years never told me he had a lovechild until three months ago. Have you any idea how much of a blow that was to me?

Brendon: Which is why at the time I went along with your decision to father a child for Chloe and Allison.

Nathan: And I’m sure Allison told you how that turned out. I lost my child.

Brendon: Which is why you shouldn’t begrudge me for needing to find mine!

Nathan: I-I just—

Brendon: After Eileen was diagnosed with advanced terminal cancer, we knew arrangements would have to be made for Justin to eventually stay with me. There was no other family to take care of him, and I was not about to let him go into the foster system.

Nathan had heard this same story three months ago. Or had Brendon forgotten? Was this memory loss due to his head trauma? Yes, Nathan continued to nod his head to humor Brendon, I know that your barren sister took in your illegitimate son over sixteen years ago after you had an alcohol-induced one night stand with some drugged-out chick at a bar in St. Paul, Minnesota. His sister Eileen had offered to take Justin off Brendon’s shoulders and raise him as her son so that Brendon could relocate to southern California to take a high-paying job in the entertainment industry.

Brendon: But then the car accident (pausing as tears flow from his eyes) took her before the cancer had its final say. Maybe it was better as she didn’t want Justin to watch her quickly whittle away. I miss my sister.

Nathan walked over to him, bent down, and gave him a hug. He sat back in the chair and took Brendon’s hand in his, squeezing it tightly.

Nathan: Don’t worry, Bren. I’ll bring him home to you someway, somehow.

Brendon: You promise?

Nathan: I’m putting my differences aside. I love you so much, and as he means so much to you, then he means as much to me.

Brendon: You do know he’s not going to change the way I feel about you. There’s no need to ever feel competitive for my affection. (reaching his upper body to kiss Nathan) See!

Nathan (smiling): I’ve missed that.

Brendon: And there’s a lot more from where that came… (pause) I know we’ll be a happy family together.

Nathan thought that the head trauma definitely had taken its toll upon Brendon’s reason if he thought for one second that Justin would react amicably to the fact that he had been lied to his entire life.

HEALTH ALCOTT AND KYLE WALGROVE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Damien Rice’s “Cannonball” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsVIVqmTjYw) begins playing calmly over the following scene:

Callum having left only five minutes earlier, Heath sat despondently on the loveseat, looking at the mess he had made of the living room. Under ordinary circumstances, he would have been embarrassed for Callum to see the mess, but Callum hadn’t seemed to mind and besides he seemed rather genuine with his solicitation to help him. Mom always said that God helps those who help themselves. Guess I had better pick up this mess. He began picking up the broken articles, coming across shards of the broken camera and thinking instantly of the images that had been on that camera, his mind casting back to Tristan. Heath’s body instantly yearned for the warmth of Tristan’s arms and the taste of his lips. Was it all just a ploy? Was I being played? Surely, he felt the same way I did… and still do. He must love me after all the special times we had together.

He stood, crossed the room, and looked at himself in the full-length mirror in the hallway. Suddenly, he felt weighted down with the knowledge that Tristan and Bralen made a more physically appealing couple. They both exercised daily, their bodies absolute temples of worship and adoration for anyone lucky enough to glance at them. I should work more on my shoulders and biceps. Tristan would appreciate that. Heath thought of the strength in Tristan’s muscles… the same strength that had given him countless hours of pleasure… pleasure that Bralen was now receiving. Damn you, Bralen! Maybe I’m not good enough.

Heath (to himself): Get a grip!

He went back to cleaning the mess, starting to sweep the broken glass when the front door opened, and Kyle came into the room.

Kyle: Hey, Babe, just dropped by for lunch on my way to the hospital.

Heath: I made you some Greek salad with chicken breast. I know how much you love feta cheese.

Kyle (rummaging in the fridge): Where? I don’t see it.

Heath (rushing over): Hold on, I’ll get it for you. It’s behind the---Shit!

Kyle (turning around in time with Heath’s loud interjection): What’s wrong?

Heath: I stepped on some broken glass. It’s nothing. Don’t worry.

Kyle (coming over): The hell I will. (pause) You’re bleeding. Why are you cleaning up broken glass in flip-flops?

Heath looked down and saw a stream of blood just as Kyle had taken him into his grasp, lifting him off the ground and carrying him to the bathroom in his strong arms.

Kyle: You shouldn’t put any pressure on it.

Heath: This is by far the gayest thing you’ve ever done!

Kyle (entering the bathroom): Well, don’t tell anyone. Besides, maybe it’s practice for the big night.

Heath: What are you talking about?

Kyle (putting him down on the side of the tub): Well, we can get married, you know… and being traditional, I might want to carry you over the threshold just like I did just now.

Heath: Do the guys on the police force know you talk this way?

Kyle (turning on the running cold water): Here, put your foot under the water.

Heath: It’s really nothing. I was wearing my flip-flops. It barely went into my foot.

Kyle (taking Heath’s foot and placing it into the flowing water): Why is there broken glass? Did you have an accident?

Heath: I was—uh—(pause) yeah.

Kyle: You know I don’t approve of glass dildos.

They both laugh before Kyle bends over to kiss Heath. As he pulls away, their eyes lock magically.

Heath: You really are a wonderful man, Kyle.

Kyle: I’m really sorry for never being around much, but that’ll change soon, I promise. You have no reason ever to doubt my feelings for you, especially with the hint I implied not long ago.

Heath turns off the water, wipes his foot with a towel, and shows his foot to Kyle.

Heath: See, it was just a minor cut. And look I can even walk on it without pain.

Kyle (coming over to him): Well, right now, I don’t you on your feet. (pause) I want you on your back! (kissing him and leading him to the bedroom)

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL

Dr. Allison Trudeau walked down the hall to the pediatrics ward. She had been meaning to speak with Dr. Edgar Williams about his discussion with Callum and Nathan when she had seen them together. She had told Brendon practically everything she knew about Callum—all the while praying it wouldn’t elevate Brendon’s blood pressure or send him into a relapse. But he needed to know who he’s dealing with and that Nathan was still quite vulnerable to Callum’s machinations. She presently met Dr. Williams coming out his office.

Allison: Edgar, I needed to ask you a question.

Edgar: Sure, Allison, what is it?

Allison: Well, it’s about one of your patients last night… a Mr. Callum Sutcliffe.

Edgar (laughing): Allison, Mr. Sutcliffe is a little too old to be one of my patients. We treated his adorable son, Edward. Poor thing barely made it out the woods.

Allison (incredulously): His son? I didn’t know he had any children. (pause) And he has a son?

Edgar: Yeah, with one of those characteristically long English names… Edward something something something Armitage. You’d think that one middle name would suffice.

Allison: Don’t you mean Sutcliffe? That is the baby’s last name?

Edgar: No, it’s definitely Armitage. I looked at that baby’s chart too many times already. Anyway, Allison, I have to get to a meeting. I’ll talk with you later.

Allison: Thanks, Edgar. See you later.

Armitage? Was that Callum’s real last name? Or was… it? It suddenly dawned on her that maybe it was Callum’s partner’s last name, that of the noble family back in England that had it in for him. And what had Peyton said. That it sounded posh and had reminded him of a Hermes scarf. Leave it to Peyton to link Hermes with Armitage. He most likely was on a drunken binge when he confused the names. She was so deep in thought that she didn’t notice Nurse Jackson had approached her to tell her that Chloe was once more refusing to eat. She hadn’t eaten a thing for the past few days.

Allison: Isn’t she supposed to be discharged tomorrow?

Nurse Jackson: Not if she doesn’t regain her strength. It’s like she wants to stay here indefinitely.

Allison: I’ll talk with her. Thanks, Cheryl.

Allison went to the elevator and went back to the floor of Chloe’s room. She was in bed, lying morbidly on her side in the fetal position. As she enters the room, Dido’s “See the Sun” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0MnvgatrA) begins playing softly in the background. Chloe doesn’t move even as Allison took a seat next to the bed.

Allison (lovingly brushing back the hair from Chloe’s forehead): Chloe, honey? (pause) The nurses tell me you’re not eating. You need your strength. We’re going home tomorrow.

Chloe (turning away from Allison): You’re going home. I’m staying here.

Allison: Honey, there’s no reason for that. I’ll look after you. You won’t have to move one finger. We’ll have a quiet weekend together.

Chloe: Aren’t you forgetting Pride Weekend?

Allison: So that’s what this is about? You don’t want to be seen by the group.

Chloe (turning back to face Allison, tears streaming down her face): Can you blame me? I’m the one carrying the burden of humiliation.

Allison: What are you talking about?

Chloe: Not even a week has passed since you made that grand announcement that we were expecting our child. I’m sure Henrietta sent out an email blast to the entire club, and I couldn’t handle all those faces of pity looking at me during Pride Weekend.

Allison: Oh, honey—

Chloe: Send an email telling everyone to take back any gifts they may have prematurely bought. I’m not going home, and I don’t want any visitors. (pause) You can go now, Allison.

Allison: You listen here, Chloe Dalton. I fell in love with a confident, strong-willed, and perseverant woman, and I know she’s still here. I’ll be damned if I lose her to some misplaced fear of being pitied. Do I make myself clear? (pause) Don’t make me repeat myself.

Chloe: You may have my best interest at heart, Allison, and I truly love you for that, but you have no idea where I’m coming from. I’ve lost my baby. I’ve lost any chance of ever having one again. I feel worthless as a woman.

Allison: I’d slap you if you weren’t so weak. Don’t you ever say that again! You are not worthless. You mean everything to me. When they were loading you into the ambulance, I was telling the paramedics not to worry about me. I only wanted you safe. Don’t you get it? I can’t live without you, and seeing you like this is just killing me. (taking Chloe’s hands into hers) We’re in this together, and we’ll get through this together.

Chloe: (softly): I love you. (they kiss)

Allison (rising): Now let’s get you something to eat. What you feel like?

Chloe: Anything but what they serve here!

Allison (laughing): I’ll see if can get Nathan to drive somewhere and get takeout.

Chloe: Are you two back on speaking terms?

Allison: Not exactly, but I know he adores you and will do anything for you. I’ll be right back. (leaving the room and bumping into Detective Kyle Walgrove) What brings you here, Kyle? Coming to visit Chloe? I wish you would just stop with all this interrogation crap and just arrest Callum. He’s responsible for this!

Kyle: Actually, new evidence has come to light saying otherwise. The horseback rider came to the station this morning and gave his statement, and while he did say it was a man who fired the gun, the description he gave doesn’t match Callum’s.

Allison: Can’t you pay Callum another visit and scout out his place for any evidence?

Kyle: Allison, you know I can’t do that, and as it stands, I’m skating on thin ice. I think I’m going to be reassigned to another case.

Allison: Why? What happened?

Kyle: I don’t want to talk about it now. I just needed to see Chloe and see if she can positively identify this woman (pulling out a wallet-sized mug shot of Vittoria) as Justin’s dealer.

Allison: Could you do it another time, Kyle? I only ask because she’s in a fragile state of mind right now, and I don’t want her to get agitated. Besides, Brendon knows about Justin’s disappearance and told me he hired a team of investigators to track him down. He promised me in true Brendon Roberts-style that Justin would be back home safe and sound in a few days. So we’ll get Justin back with or without this woman’s cooperation.

Kyle knew that even if Brendon didn’t want to pursue Vittoria, she was holding back something of great magnitude, and he was determined to find out what it was.

ROSE BOWL, THURSDAY NIGHT OUTRUNNERS TRAINING MEET IN PASADENA, CALIFORNIA

Callum arrives at the Rose Bowl and sees Tristan with Bralen Jones, approaching them.

Tristan: Callum, what are you doing here?

Callum: I came to run (turning to Bralen) and I might ask the same question of him. What are you doing on this side of town?

Bralen: I also came to run.

Callum: With Tristano, it appears. My my, you two have become joined at the hip, mouth, ass, and Lord knows where else.

Bralen: Look, Callum, I apologize for yesterday. It must have really looked—

Callum: Skanky?

Bralen: I wouldn’t go that far.

Callum: Yet I’m sure Tristano did go that far (winking) inside you. Speaking of which, I need to talk with Tristano about business. (pause) That’s your cue to sod off, Bralen.

Bralen (rolling his eyes): I can see why Drake hates him.

Tristan (after Bralen has left): I don’t appreciate you insulting my friends.

Bralen: So he’s a friend now and not some whore you’re banging?

Tristan: What’s it any of your business?

Callum: I was under the impression that you were exclusively fucking Heath Alcott.

Tristan: You know about that?

Callum: I know about everything, Tristano.

Tristan: You’re back on that train again. You may think you know everything (grabbing Callum by the shoulders and pulling him further away) but you don’t know shit!

Callum: I see you haven’t been in touch with Vittoria.

Tristan: No, I haven’t spoken with her in a while. I needed a break from all her whining. That’s why I’ve been staying over at Bralen’s.

Callum: You do know she’s moved back to the apartment in West Hollywood. I now own the building so she gets to stay there rent-free.

Tristan (laughing): In exchange for keeping silent about what she knows about you and what goes on in your house.

Callum (clearing his throat): What happens at my home is no one else’s business. Besides, I practically now own her and you.

Tristan: Excuse me?

Callum: And as a token of my gratitude for sending those delicious photos to Brendon’s bedside, I’m allowing you to stay at the apartment free of charge as well. That was pure genius on your part, but next time I would appreciate it if you would tell me first when you’re secretly taking photos of me. I keep forgetting that you were once a paparazzo.

Tristan: I guess you’ve got to watch out for me… and one more thing, Callum, just so you know: you don’t fucking own me!

Callum: Well, technically, I own your freedom or rather the key to your imprisonment.

Tristan: What?

Callum: Too bad once you’re thrown in the slammer, you’ll need that crowbar to attempt your escape.

Tristan (his pupils dilated with fear): W-What are you talking about? (pause) Y-You have it?

Callum: Give the dog a prize!

Tristan: Give it back to me!

Callum (laughing) You honestly think I’m going to hand it over to you so easily, especially after the way you and Vittoria initially treated me. I’ve got the upper hand now, and you two are now my pawns. I know both your dirty little secrets courtesy of a few items pilfered from your apartment earlier this week. (pausing as Tristan’s face registers what he’s saying) Yes, I had your apartment robbed. I needed to get as much trash as I could find on you two, and thank goodness Vittoria is so open with everything in her diary. Now I know exactly why you two wanted so desperately to kill Brendon Roberts.

Tristan: You fucking blackmailer!

Callum: I prefer the term extortionist, but that’s beside the point.

Tristan: And that point is what?

Callum: I’m prepared to go to the police with all the information I have… my possession of the attempted murder weapon trumps anything you have against me. I’ve already promised Vittoria I would take care of her. I have yet to make the same arrangement for you.

Tristan: What’s stopping you?

Callum: Your lack of cooperation, but that will soon change all with a call to Detective Walgrove, who’ll have your neck not only for attempted murder but also for fucking his partner. Oh what a tangled web you’ve woven for yourself, Tristano!

Tristan: Look, Callum, let’s just—

Callum: Just what? You think I don’t intend to milk this for what it’s worth. I have you by the balls, so when I say jump, you’ll ask—

Tristan (interrupting him): How high!

Callum: Don’t interrupt me! When I say jump, the correct response from you is: “Into whose bed?”

Tristan: What?

Callum: Oh yes, Tristano, you’re going back to your first profession… only this time it’s under my direction.

Tristan: You bastard!

Callum: Well, it’s either this or the slammer. Take your pick. You can fuck and get paid for it or you could just get gang-raped in prison. Luckily for Bralen, I’ll let him have you for free.

Tristan: You won’t get away with this!

Callum: Now where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, from Dr. Peyton Ashland, another fool like you who’s failed to see that I’m not keen on double crossers.

Tristan: Look, we’ll have to talk more about this later. I’m hosting this training run.

Callum: Oh my! Look who’s approaching us. If I were you, I’d run for cover right now.

Heath Alcott rushes up to Callum and Tristan.

Heath: Hi, Callum. (pause) Um—Tristan, could we talk alone for a moment?

Tristan: I—uh—well, it’s almost time to start—

Callum: Tristano, don’t be so impolite. I’m sure it’s something important that he needs to tell you. Besides, I’ll keep the group busy until you’ve finished your chat with Heathcliff.

Tristan (lauhing): I thought I was the only one who knew your real name.

Heath (pulling Tristan aside): I’ve been calling your cell nonstop. Did you not get any of my messages?

Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Good” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7a4mk3gjM) begins playing over the scene.

Tristan (tersely): I’ve been busy.

Heath: Yeah… fucking Bralen.

Tristan: Look… about that, I—

Heath: Tristan, I don’t understand why—

Tristan: Heath, babe, it just wasn’t working out between us.

Heath: Don’t pull that shit on me! I gave you everything, every part of me.

Tristan: You deserve so much better.

Heath: Tristan, you know how I feel about you. I love you (pause) See, there I said it.

Tristan (candidly): I don’t do love.

Heath (grabbing Tristan’s head and pulling him in for a kiss): I love—

Tristan (pushing him away): We’re in public, Heath. What if Bralen had seen us?

Heath: Bralen! That’s what this is about. He’s come into the picture, drooling all over you. What exactly has he done for you, Tristan?

Tristan: Heath, stop this.

Heath: Do he kiss you like me? (pause) Does he blow you like me? Does he scream your name like I do when you fuck him hard? Does he swallow your cum?

Tristan: Okay, Heath, that’s enough! If you really want to know, he’s not needy like you.

Heath: Needy?

Tristan: You know how you can get.

Heath: I can change. Really, I can (throwing himself onto Tristan and leading him into the nearest park bathroom).

Tristan: Heath, not now.

Heath (pulling down Tristan’s shorts) I’ll make it quick!

Tristan: I mean it (pushing him away). I can’t do this.

Suddenly, Bralen’s voice is heard before he enters the bathroom. Tristan scrambles to pull up his shorts as Heath rushes into the nearest stall.

Bralen: Tristan! (pause) Oh, there you are. Come on, everyone’s waiting for you.

Tristan: Okay, Babe.

Heath looked through the slit in the stall and saw Bralen wrap his arm around Tristan, guiding him out, and saw a brief kiss exchanged between them before they exited the facility and was out of his eyesight. In that moment, Heath decided that he didn’t want to run in Pasadena that night. His mind was once more on Tristan. He couldn’t kiss me yet he was all willing to kiss that bastard Bralen. His hand reached into this pocket and withdrew his cell phone. He dialed Callum’s number.

Callum (answering) What is it, Heath? I’ve already started running. I’m doing eight miles tonight.

Heath: Then I’ll make this quick. Do you remember that special talk we had about taking care of Bralen?

Callum: Yes, what of it?

Heath: I’ve had a change of heart. Let’s go through with it.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Justin Roberts counted all the money on his bed, his fingers greedily flipping through all the $100 notes, the image of Benjamin Franklin constantly staring at him. It had been sheer luck for him to walk by Callum’s private sitting room, and see Peyton lying unconscious on the floor. Justin had gone into the room to see if he was dead or alive, but then his eyes saw the open safe. He had gone up to it and went through it, finding stacks of money inside along with some other valuable trinkets which he immediately pilfered.

$20,000 dollars! That is just enough for me to hightail it out here. Tomorrow, I’m ditching this place. Callum will have no control over me, and I’ll be far away from Nathan. Hell, even Uncle Brendon has been awake for some time and has yet to come looking for me. My picture’s been on the television and in the papers. Surely my own uncle must know I’m missing. I bet it’s Nathan who’s telling him not to look for me. It doesn’t matter anyway. I’m leaving them all!

DRAKE MICHENER’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Drake was midway through proofreading his partner Austin’s report for his big presentation at work next week when Austin came into the room.

Austin: Are you almost finished with that?

Drake: Yes, I should be done within an hour. I have to tidy the living room afterwards. I invited the Outrunners over to our place for their monthly potluck. I hope you don’t mind.

Austin: Of course not. You know I’ve been giving serious thought to running for a position on the Board of Directors. I really would like to be President.

Drake: Honey, you think that’s such a good idea? You already did that back when we lived in Boston, and you know how that went.

Austin: My personal politics do not have to interfere with how I would potentially run the club. Besides, this isn’t Boston.

Drake: My point exactly! Los Angeles is more liberal, and I think it will be an uphill battle for an openly gay Republican like you to make strides here without ruffling some feathers.

Austin: Look, the First Family of this state is bipartisan. Governor Schwarzenegger is Republican, and his wife Maria is a staunch Democrat… and we’ve cohabitated very well for the past nine years together.

Drake: You know I love you no matter what your political affiliation. But why try to fix something that’s not broken? I think Nathan, Allison, and the rest of the Board are all doing a phenomenal job in light of everything that’s happened.

Austin: Ha! Keep telling yourself that, Drake! Have you taken a moment to really look at these folks? Nathan, our “acting president,” is always at the hospital with Brendon, our real president who was nearly bludgeoned and burned to death. Allison, our vice president, was recently shot at and has to help her partner through the ordeal of a miscarriage. The rest of the Board can’t seem to get their act together because they were so dependent on the Executive Board.

Drake: So you plan to come in and save the day?

Austin: Yeah, I do think my leadership is just what the Los Angeles Outrunners needs.

Drake (approaching him and kissing him): Well, you can always count on my vote. Just don’t try to make too much of a conservative platform.

Austin: I promise. Anyway, I’m going to prepare dinner. I’ll have it ready in about 45… just in time for you to finish proofing.

Drake (smiling): Remind me again. Am I getting paid for this?

Austin (kissing him): You get rewarded nightly… or have you forgotten? (leaving the room) I’ll you bring you some wine.

Drake went back to proofing and actually finished within fifteen minutes, having much time to spare so he went onto his next chore of tidying up the living room. He began rummaging through some old newspapers in on the coffee table when he came across one that showed an image of Justin Roberts. Where had he seen that face? Suddenly, it dawned on him. He had seen it over at Callum Sutcliffe’s mansion. Why would Justin be at Callum’s? Drake thought. However, he had to postpone his deductive thinking when Austin announced dinner was ready.

TRISTAN BERSANI AND VITTORIA MORELLI’S APARTMENT, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Vittoria was happy that Callum came through for her at the last minute, hiring a high-priced attorney to represent her and get Kyle off her case. There was no way they would be pinning the attacks on her. She was back home in the comfort of her old apartment, and Callum had gone to the trouble of having it renovated and buying new furniture for the place. Well, if I can’t live la dolce vita at his place, next best thing is to have it at my own place. The land line phone rang, and Vittoria rushed to it, picking up the receiver.

Vittoria: Hello.

Voice: Hello, Vittoria. What’s new, Sugar Tits?

Vittoria: Br-Brendon. I heard that you had waked up.

Brendon: And you have yet to pay me a visit… outside of the last one you paid me a few days ago when I was still asleep.

Vittoria: I-I’ve been very busy.

Brendon: Yes, you have. You’ve been a busy little bee… and a very bad girl!

She slammed the phone down and yanked the cord from the wall. In that moment, she felt as if someone had walked over her grave. One thing was definitely certain from Brendon’s tone: he knew she had tried to put him into his grave!

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: