Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 14: “Kissing and Making Up”

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, BRENDON ROBERTS’ ROOM

Brendon: I couldn’t have planned it better myself. You’re telling me that not only are you “back in business” with Tristan but you’re also Vittoria’s attorney.

Estrella: Yes, I helped her to dodge a bullet otherwise her ass would be in the slammer right now.

Brendon: This’ll be like killing two birds with one stone. Are you sure you can handle Tristan?

Estrella: Yeah, I’ll have him pussy-whipped in no time. I need just a few more days to work on him.

Brendon: Now as for Vittoria, you’ll obviously need to be more discreet with her. By the time we’re done, I will have taught our renegades a lesson about trying to take me down. They need a reminder of who’s in charge and what’s at stake for the both of them.

Estrella: Well, if that’s all, I’m going to head to the Pride Weekend Festival. My firm has a booth there and wishes to show its support for GLBT rights. Call me if you need anything.

Brendon: You just take care of Tristan and Vittoria.

Estrella (crossing to the door): And what about Callum Sutcliffe? He didn’t suspect a thing, hiring me onto his legal team. You want me to handle him also?

Brendon: I’ll handle him myself. It’s personal between us.

MEANWHILE… JUSTIN’S ROOM

Callum managed to slip into Justin’s room oddly enough when neither Brendon nor Nathan was around. Justin lay resting in the bed, his face bruised and scarred. Callum walked up to the bed and loudly clapped his hands together.

Callum: Wake up, Sleepyhead! You’ve been a bad boy.

Justin (raspy-voiced): Where am I?

Callum: You’re in hospital. If it were up to me, you’d be in the morgue, the gall of you taking a joyride in my late husband’s car!

Justin: You’re only here to cover your ass. You don’t want me to rat you out to the cops.

Callum (laughing): You’re the one in trouble, not me. You stole my car along with my money and jewelry from my house. I very well could have you arrested.

Justin: And then I’ll tell the police you held me hostage.

Callum: Cut the act, Justin! It doesn’t suit you to pretend being the innocent one in this. You were complicit in the whole affair or need I remind you of our little arrangement.

Justin: They won’t believe you.

Callum: I’m filthy rich, and this is Los Angeles. They’ll believe me over you.

Justin: My uncle will believe me.

Callum (laughing): Oh, I really do feel sorry for you. You must not have heard the announcement that you’ve been lied to your entire life by your “uncle” Brendon.

Justin: What are you talking about?

Callum (withdrawing the voice recorder from his pocket): I thought this might be of interest to you.

He pressed the “Play” button, and the private conversation between Nathan and Brendon last night become knowledge to Justin—particularly the long-held secret that Brendon was his biological father. Callum naturally stopped the tape at the point where Nathan ended his criticizing Justin otherwise the boy would have heard that Nathan was willing to make amends and have a try at them all becoming a family.

Justin (shocked at what he’s heard): W-What was that?

Callum: I overheard them last night. It appears that your whole life has been one big lie. Your own father apparently didn’t want you when you were born otherwise he wouldn’t be keeping this a secret… and just listen to Nathan, completely denigrating you. It sounds like he’d rather you have died in that crash.

Justin’s face was full of tears. He couldn’t hide the pain he felt. Those were definitely Brendon and Nathan’s voices. But why would they have done this? Why have they kept this from me all this time?

Callum: You look deep in thought. After hearing that, I’d be in the same state of mind. So you see, there’s no one you can really trust. (pause) You need me, Justin.

Justin: The hell I do!

Callum: I trust that you’ll do the right thing and keep our little arrangement between us. You stole the car of your own volition, but they needn’t know where you’ve been hiding out for the past week.

Justin (tears flowing): Just go!

Callum: I need your word on this.

Justin: I said get the fuck out! Now!

Pleased with himself, Callum left the hospital, leaving in his wake andemotionally distraught Justin. The victorious moment would be short-lived as Callum’s exit from the room had been duly noted by Drake Michener.

HEATH AND KYLE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Five minutes after having been thrown out the house by Kyle, Heath sat outside on the porch, crying his heart out. Finally gathering strength to rise, he violently kicked one of the suitcases, its contents flying across the front lawn. His eyes were red, but even in their temporarily impaired state he could make out the model of Tristan’s car as it parked at the curb outside the house. Tristan got out, now dressed in a black tanktop with matching shorts that still managed to show off his powerfully built body.

Tristan (coming up to Heath): What happened?

Heath (immediately hugging him): He knows about us. He threw me out.

The feel of the hug, the muscles, and the warmth of Tristan felt so inviting to Heath. Tristan looked at the scene before him, the yard with the luggage thrown about it. He pulled himself away from Heath’s embrace and looked at his tear-stained face and disheveled hair. He placed his hands on Heath’s shoulders and looked into his eyes, seeing the pain in them, and then seeing the bruise on his face where Kyle had struck him.

Tristan: Did he hurt you?

Heath (wiping his nose): No, h-he didn’t mean to, but could you blame him?

Tristan (moving toward the front door): Do you want me to talk to him?

Heath (quickly grabbing his muscled arm): No. Leave him alone. He’s too upset to talk.

Tristan: Well, you can’t just stay out here like this. (gesturing to pick up the suitcases)

Heath: No, leave them here. I don’t care about them. (falling into Tristan’s arms) Just take me away.

Tristan wrapped his arms around Heath and walked him to the car. Once inside, they silently rode back to Tristan’s apartment. It felt so odd to be in one of the places where their affair had taken place. Heath went to the couch and sat while Tristan made him a drink.

Tristan (sitting down next to him on couch): Here, drink this. It’ll calm you down. So do you want to talk about this now?

Heath: What’s there to talk about? I caused this. I got exactly what I deserved… no one left to love me.

He suddenly breaks down, tears gushing from his eyes, his body shaking uncontrollably from the mess that his life had become. He then felt Tristan’s hand close over his, prompting him to look into Tristan’s eyes and before he could say anything, he felt the heat of Tristan’s mouth coming into contact with his, feeling Tristan’s tongue intrude his body as it had done innumerable times before—only then they were all of unspeakable pleasure. This moment felt awkward in light of everything that had happened within the last two hours.

Heath (pulling away): Tristan, I can’t do this right now.

Tristan (getting up): I’m sorry. I just wanted to make you feel better.

Heath (indignantly rising): Just like you were making that woman feel better a few hours ago.

Tristan (defensively putting forth his hands): Look, that was a mistake, and it’s not what it seems.

Heath: I walked in on you two doing it right here.

Tristan: It was nothing but meaningless sex, Heath. It’s too complicated for you to understand, and I don’t really want to explain it right now.

Heath: Does Bralen know about this?

Tristan: It’s none of his business. Besides, I-I did it for him.

Heath: Please don’t insult my intelligence.

Tristan: It’s the truth. She was going to the press with some potentially damaging news about him that would ruin his chances at the Olympics.

At that reference, Heath fell back onto the couch, cradling his head in his hands—reminded once more of what he had done to an innocent person, ruining his life. He had injected Bralen with steroids. And now he was being told that Tristan had supposedly made a sacrifice to protect him. Bralen may lose the Olympics but still win Tristan. It’s too much to handle. The emotional upsurge began again. Heath rose, lost his balance, and tripped on his way to the door.

Tristan: Where are you going?

Heath: I have to get the hell away.

Tristan (blocking him from the door): No, I’m not letting you go out in your condition.

Heath: Get out of my way, Tristan. (grabbing him and trying to move him, Tristan’s brawn proving an obstacle for Heath)

Tristan (looking into Heath’s eyes): You give up yet?

Jessica Simpson’s “Irresistible” begins playing as Heath’s resolve wanes. The spellbinding nature of Tristan’s eyes held him once more in lustful captivity. One kiss was all it took for Heath to presently forget his worries.

Unbridled passion swept over them both, the freedom of their illicit relationship a stronger aphrodisiac than either had imagined. All the while kissing each other, their feet moved in unity toward the sanctuary of Tristan’s room before their bodies fell onto the softness of Tristan’s bed. Heath felt the weight of Tristan’s body pinning him to the mattress, their hands interlaced before Tristan’s fingers broke away from Heath’s to forcefully free himself of his shorts.

Heath could then feel the warm heavyweight that was Tristan’s cock as it brushed against his inner thighs, further raising the sexual temperature in the room. Heath continued with his internal battle, his conscience telling him to push Tristan away, go back home, and make things right with Kyle, but Tristan’s mouth managed to reach that part of his neck that sent him into foreplay heaven—and as such, Heath could no longer think of his love for Kyle, only his lust for Tristan. His hand reached down between their compressed bodies until it felt the head of Tristan’s cock, and he moved down a little lower until his palm could grab the shaft. In this awkward position, he jerked it upward and downward in tune with his kissing Tristan, his teeth nibbling on part of Tristan’s lip.

It was then Heath felt his own body rise a few inches from the mattress as Tristan practically ripped the shorts from his lower body, they magically flowing over his legs and ending on the floor. It was then that Heath’s hand went from pleasuring Tristan’s cock to gripping the firmness of Tristan’s bare buttocks, something which Heath had wanted to do ever since seeing them earlier that day when they had been secured in that Speedo, and otherwise feeling left out as he had fucked that woman.

Who was she? And what was she holding over him? What did she know that was so damaging to Bralen? Bralen… at least he’s not here to enjoy this… he’ll never have Tristan now. He’s all mine! Heath spanked Tristan’s buttocks as the Italian stallion continued passionately kissing him and nibbling on his neck, but then he felt the hardness of his cock as it began humping his thighs. He’s definitely hungry for me. He needs me. No one else knows how to please him.

Heath put his mouth against Tristan’s neck and sucked on it, hoping to make a hickey as evidence of their lovemaking for days to come. Unfortunately, Tristan separated himself from Heath and moved down to blow him, his mouth eagerly lapping at every pleasurable nerve in Heath’s cock and perineum. Heath lay there in absolute gratification as Tristan proceeded to gently raise his legs and bottom so that he would have better sight to orally delight his ass, the feel of Tristan’s clever tongue a relaxing joy. He’s always so good at that, getting me all ready for him to enter me. I love it when he buries his entire face there like he can’t get enough of me. Tristan was doing just that, cradling Heath’s buttocks in his hands as his mouth worked feverishly at satisfying Heath’s most intimate area as evidenced by the moans escaping his lips.

He really released a moan as he felt something stiff poke into him. Looking through his raised legs, he could see that it wasn’t Tristan’s cock but rather his fingers. Trying to trick me, huh? Well, I know the size and feel of your cock so you can’t fool me. It took just a few more minutes before Heath’s ass really felt the rigidness of Tristan enter into him with such sexual ferocity. Tristan’s shoulders were a resting stop for both Heath’s legs as the pumping commenced. Tristan bent down as far as he could to grant Heath another kiss, their mouths seemingly on fire with the burning of their loins.

Further moans and whimpers escaped Heath’s mouth as he was flipped into a different position on his stomach so that Tristan’s weight was once more upon him. This permitted Tristan’s aggression full reign over Heath’s body as it once more became one with Tristan’s hot blooded force of passion. The convulsion he felt when Tristan drove his body into orgasmic happiness was one for the record books as would be the next four or so rounds they would eventually have over the course of that night. As far as Heath was concerned, this was the best make-up sex he had ever had.

DR. PEYTON ASHLAND’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Peyton had been exhausted from last night’s carnal festivity with both Tristan and Bralen. His body felt an awkward, sweet pain like his muscles had overexerted themselves. He had slept throughout much of the day, missing the Saturday morning run with the club, but he was ready for his shift at the Los Angeles Outrunners Pride Weekend beer booth. As he was about to leave, he was paid a visit from a middle-aged man who immediately identified himself as Detective Milton.

Milton: Have I caught you at a bad time, Dr. Ashland?

Peyton: Well, I was about to go—

Milton: This won’t take long. I just need to ask you a few questions.

Peyton: About what?

Milton: Your relationship with Mr. Callum Sutcliffe.

Peyton: What about it?

Milton: How exactly do you know him?

Peyton: We’re part of the same athletic club.

Milton: I’m assuming you mean the Los Angeles Outrunners. Did you know Mr. Sutcliffe prior to his current membership?

Peyton (growing impatient): What is that you want to know?

Milton: You are a doctor of psychiatry. Was Mr. Sutcliffe ever one of your patients?

Peyton: If he was, I sure as hell didn’t cure him of his many psychoses.

Milton: Is that a yes or no to my question?

Peyton: Look, Detective, I haven’t time for this. I’m going to be late for my appointment. If you don’t mind—(starting to brush past Milton, closing the front door behind him)

Milton (speaking to Peyton’s back): Dr. Ashland, I just came across something interesting, namely a DVD.

He saw Peyton’s body stiffen for a split second before he got into his car and sped off down the street. That revelatory moment was all it took for Detective Milton to correctly confirm his suspicions. It had also been the revelatory moment when Peyton knew his proverbial goose was cooked.

SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD, LOS ANGELES PRIDE WEEKEND FESTIVAL

Chloe had waited for Allison for two hours and still no response. Perhaps she’s at the festival and has her phone turned off. Or could she still be upset with me from last night? Well, it’s not my fault. I have sacrificed so much for this relationship as well. Doesn’t she realize that? Growing weary of waiting around at home, she decided to go to the festival and surprisingly enjoyed herself, reconnecting with members of the gay community from whom she had remained somewhat distant during her darkest hours after the miscarriage.

Going down the festival’s full length of Santa Monica Boulevard, she still had not seen Allison. She tried calling her back on her mobile phone and still got no answer. Where the hell is she? In spite of the vibrant atmosphere, depression slowly crept over Chloe, infiltrating her consciousness and leaving her in a weakened state. She saw a few couples with children or infants. She really wanted one to call her own, and at precisely that moment she walked past a legal services booth. She picked up some of the literature displayed and thumbed through it, hoping to find some information on adoption services. One of the representatives saw her reading and asked if she had any questions.

Chloe: No thanks. At least not at this moment.

Estrella: Well, if you have any questions, my name’s Estrella.

Chloe (pausing): Actually, I wanted to know about—

Estrella (another lady having come up to the booth at that moment): Excuse me, miss, I’m leaving now, but this is Jessica, and she’ll be able to assist you.

Estrella rose from her chair, Chloe immediately noticing the sensuous outline of her body. Estrella walked down the street, and Chloe directed her questions to Jessica. The answers she got weren’t exactly the ones she had in mind. She next decided to go over to the Outrunners booth, purchase a drink, and support the club. For the next hour, she was with them and inquired of her friends if any of them had heard from Allison. No one was able to give her a clear answer, which only fueled both her worries and mounting frustration. Realizing she needed to loosen up, she headed off for the nearest bar, hoping to drown herself in its loud music, large crowd, and its inviting darkness and privacy. She sat on the stool, debating with herself which libation to order first. The bartender came over to ask her when she heard a voice she vaguely recognized, and turning her head realized that it came from the legal representative from the festival. She apparently had been drinking too much already since she looked fairly drunk in both appearance and speech.

Estrella: I-I’ll p-pay for w-whatever she orders.

Chloe (flattered): Thanks. I don’t think anyone’s done that for me since college. (to bartender) I’ll have a vodka and tonic.

Estrella: So did you get your questions answered?

Chloe: Yes, I did. Thanks. Adoption for gays is still a difficult process. (pause) Oh, where are my manners? My named is Chloe. I think yours was Estella.

Estrella: It’s Estrella. Most people forget the “r.” I imagine people misspell your name.

Chloe: Yes, they do. So do you come here often?

Estrella: No, this is my first time here. It’s a nice place… good energy and music.

Chloe got her drink and began sipping it as she looked at Estrella, who in her slightly inebriated state, still managed to intoxicate Chloe with her ravishing beauty.

Chloe: I haven’t been here in ages. Your social life changes forever once you officially stop dating and “move in” with someone.

Estrella: So you want to “have a go” at family life? You had said something about adopting. The best way to beat these bigoted assholes is to get a surrogate—

Chloe (cutting her off): I’ve tried most everything. Of course it would help if I had an understanding, supportive partner.

Estrella: Sounds like you’re having trouble at home.

Chloe: You could say that. (pause) So what about you? Are you with anyone?

Estrella (seductively putting a cherry in her mouth): You sound very curious to know those details.

In the background, the sound and music of Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl” can be heard as Estrella downs her drink and orders another one only to be shot down by the bartender, who informed her she had reached her limit.

Estrella: Come on, please (dexterously slipping him a $20 note)

The bartender coldly rebuffed her bribe, citing that he had lost one of his friends to drunk driving.

Estrella: Can you believe this? (pause) Hey, would you buy the drink for me?

Chloe: I-I’m not so sure.

Estrella: I’d make it worth your while.

Chloe: W-What?

Chloe had seen Estrella move in closer to her, thinking it was so that she, too, would be slipped the monetary bribe to purchase the forbidden drink. However, Chloe had not expected for Estrella’s voluptuous lips to come into contact with her mouth. What was even more unexpected to Chloe herself was when her own hands reached up to cradle Estrella’s face as the passion of the kiss intensified. Chloe did not pull herself away, the temptation to continue too strong, as their tongues each went on illicit explorations. It was Estrella who finally pulled away, her lipstick smeared on Chloe’s cheeks.

Estrella: Now, how about that drink?

Chloe: Sure (beckoning for the bartender)

Estrella: I think that guy over there likes you. He’s been staring us for a long time. I bet he got a hard-on just looking at us kiss.

Chloe turned around to see the backside of Austin Monroe as he left the bar. Oblivious to his identity as a witness to her unfaithful act, Chloe bought Estrella her prohibited drink and they both continued to have a good time together.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL

Callum had just left Justin’s room and headed to Peyton’s office to see if he were there. The lights were out, and the door was closed and locked. I’m sure he’ll be buzzing me later, especially with the new detective on the case. He was too pleased with his handling of Justin. With that volatile temper of his, he just might finish off Brendon, and I definitely want a front row seat to that. Anyway it goes, the sins of the father will have deep repercussions.

Callum was so deep in thought that he hadn’t heard the sound of a wheelchair moving upon him. It was the demanding voice of its occupant that shook him from his malicious reverie.

Brendon: Stay the hell away from Justin!

Callum (spinning around): Oh, it’s only you. I thought it may have been your Amazon companion. I swear you and Allison sing that exact same tune.

Brendon: I was just told by a good friend that you just came out of Justin’s room. I want you to stay the hall away from him and Nathan!

Callum: I merely came to check on the young man’s status. He did after all pilfer my prized possessions and stole and irreparably damaged my car. (pause) But don’t worry. I won’t press charges. Nathan wouldn’t approve of that.

Brendon: Listen, kid, I’m only going to say this to you once. Stay the fuck away from Nathan!

Callum: I’m really shocked that you have such vim and vigor for someone who was at death’s door.

Brendon: I bet you were hoping that I wouldn’t pull through so that you could sink your teeth into Nathan.

Callum: Actually, I do take offense that those fools mucked up their attempt on your life. Because of their incompetence, I was denied the luxury of pissing on your grave.

Brendon: You speak as if you know who attacked me.

Callum: In a way, I do. I know everything, Brendon, from the identity and motives of your attackers to how Nathan can’t stop thinking of me.

Brendon (balling his fists): Is that so?

Callum: Well, you’ve seen evidence of our chemistry. I’m surprised it didn’t send you into cardiac arrest.

Brendon: I’m onto you, Callum, and well ahead of you in this game.

Callum: How are you ahead of me? I needn’t remind you that you’re presently wheelchair-bound. Of course that does raise the question of how are you to please Nathan while you’re rehabilitating. I fancy that he’ll grow tired of doing solos and then seek out real companionship from someone who can give him what he needs.

Brendon: You’re so damn sure of yourself. But as I said, I’m onto you and so are the authorities. I know you had something to do with what happened to Justin.

Callum: So now you’re blaming me for his kleptomania? Granted, he did have good taste and gravitated toward my possessions. Hmm… I’m starting to notice a pattern here. Both the men in your life want something of mine.

Brendon (attempting to rise from his wheelchair): You bastard!

Callum (grasping both Brendon’s shoulders and pushing him back down into his wheelchair): Watch your mouth, Brendon! (leaning in to put his mouth to Brendon’s right ear) Besides, we both know that Justin is the real “bastard.” (winking at him)

With that Parthian shot being dealt, Callum took his leave in hopes of spending a quiet evening at home, but his desire for rest would not be sated, for when he got home, there was a surprise awaiting him.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, THIRTY MINUTES LATER

Once Callum arrived home, Godfrey met him at the door, preventing him from entering his own house.

Godfrey: You have a Mr. Caldozar here to see you. He adamantly claims he has a valid reason for being here. I attempted to get him to come back, but he insisted on staying until you arrived. He says you have something that belongs to him.

Callum: Why are you standing in the doorway like that? Is there something wrong? Let me in.

Godfrey: There’s just something about the man that’s unnerving. I was tempted to call the police when he insisted on staying here at all costs.

Callum: I’ll handle it, Godfrey. Now move aside. (entering his home and walking into the reception room, where Rodrigo Caldozar sat)

Rodrigo (rising and smiling at Callum’s entrance): Good evening, Mr. Sutcliffe.

Callum: Mr. Caldozar, is it?

Rodrigo: Please call me Rodrigo. I came by to get the voice recorder you took from me yesterday. It’s school property, and I don’t want any charges of theft on my academic record.

Callum: I’ve had enough theft happen to me—as you already know. Anyway, it just so happened that I needed that device of yours. I’m willing to pay for it and reimburse you for any troubles its absence has cost it. (taking out checkbook and writes out a check for $500)

Rodrigo: Oh, this is too much, Mr. Sutcliffe. The voice recorder costs about $100.

Callum: I felt like being generous. Running into you last night was the most fortuitous thing to happen to me yesterday… a real blessing in disguise.

Rodrigo: Really?

Callum: Yes, your recording device became my ally. Anyway, if that’s all, I assume you’ll be leaving—

Rodrigo (pulling books from his backpack): Would you do me the honor of autographing your books?

Callum: Bloody hell! It appears you have all of them.

Rodrigo: Yeah, every last one of them. All your books under all your different pseudonyms!

Callum: A loyal reader, I see. I’ll sign these over a glass of wine. Would you like something to drink?

Rodrigo: Mineral water. I have to keep myself in shape besides I’m driving over to the festival.

Callum calls Godfrey into the room to request the drinks for the both of them. The doorbell is then heard with Godfrey going to answer it. Moments later, Peyton barges right into the room.

Peyton: We need to talk right now.

Callum (putting down pen and closing book): Don’t you see that I’m currently busy and have company?

Peyton (ignoring him): A Detective Milton paid me a visit a few hours ago. He’s seen the damn DVD. What the fuck have you done?

Callum: Would you please watch your language around my guest?

Peyton: My life could be over!

Callum: Let’s discuss this tomorrow at the Pride Run.

Peyton: No, we’re discussing this now. (rushing over to Callum, grabbing his arm and jerking him up from the seat)

Callum: Let go of me, you idiot! (freeing his arm) I think you should leave.

Peyton: I’m not going anywhere!

Rodrigo: I think Mr. Sutcliffe said to leave. Either you go freely, or I’ll throw you out.

Peyton: Who the hell are you? His lackey? Or his muscled houseboy?

Rodrigo (creepily): I’m his biggest fan.

Peyton (laughing): More like his only one.

Rodrigo: Mr. Sutcliffe wants you to leave. I’m giving you until three. One…

Peyton: You’ve got to be kidding me.

Rodrigo (grabbing Peyton and throwing him against the wall): Do I look like I’m kidding? Get the fuck outta here like he said!

Peyton was totally taken aback by the spontaneity of this man’s violent actions. Rodrigo’s eyes were red with anger, the thrill of the fight sparkling in them, rage easily furrowed in his face. Who was this guy? His new bodyguard? Peyton calmed himself, took a deep breath, and walked out the room, the sound of the front door slamming shut soon heard.

Rodrigo: I’m sorry about that, Mr. Sutcliffe. I just hated to see you being disrespected in your own home.

Callum: Thank you, Rodrigo.

Rodrigo: No problem. It was my pleasure.

Callum: Why don’t you stay for dinner? That way I can finish signing these books for you.

Rodrigo: I really should get going. I feel so embarrassed now.

Callum: Don’t be so daft. You were a knight in shining armor.

Rodrigo (blushing): But I really should go. There’s a concert at the festival I want to see.

Callum: Why don’t you leave the books here? I’ll have them signed by tomorrow, and you can come by and get them in the evening.

Rodrigo: Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks again, Mr. Sutcliffe.

Callum: Call me Callum.

He saw Rodrigo to the door had his glass of wine, and finally prepared for that elusive restful night of sleep.

SUNDAY MORNING, KYLE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

The sunlight poured into the bedroom. Kyle rose from the bed, still feeling awful. He had gone through a full bottle of vodka. I should be careful otherwise I’ll start to give Peyton a run for his money. Kyle had drunk and bawled himself to sleep, thinking of Heath. You just can’t turn off your feelings for someone. Was I too harsh? He ran back through his mind all his mean-spirited remarks and actions, setting Heath up with the photo album and berating him to his face. How could I have done such a thing?

As he ponders these thoughts, S Club 7’s “Never Had a Dream Come True” begins playing softly in the scene’s background. Heath did love the first part of the scrapbook. I saw the way his face lit up at all those old memories. Those were t he good days. Could we recapture that magic? Is it too late for us? I wonder where he went. He did have a point. I neglected him much these past months. All those times he stayed up late for me, cooked dinner for me, and I flaked on him several times. I need to see him. But can I forgive him?

He went into the living room, which was in the same state as last night. He checked his watch. It would be nearing time for registration at the Pride Weekend Run. Heath should be there. I’ll talk to him there. Try to work this out. I’m going to make things right with him.

He opened the door, stepped outside, and saw that his front yard had become a resting ground for Heath’s clothing all strewn over the wet, soggy grass. The sprinklers had practically saturated Heath’s garments. It appeared as if either some stray dog had gone into the suitcases or perhaps a vagrant wandering through the neighborhood. Kyle’s eyes then saw that Heath’s car was still in the driveway. He stepped off the porch and onto the sodden ground when he looked down and saw Heath’s keys. He looked at all of them on the keyring, and they were all there, the keys to his car, the house, storage, etc.

Where is he? Kyle walked over to the car and peeped inside. He certainly didn’t sleep in it. Paranoia soon gripped Kyle. It was Pride Weekend, and while Los Angeles was a socially progressive city to an extent, hate crimes continued to occur as evidenced by the attacks on Nathan and Brendon. Oh, my God, what if someone had come by the house last night, saw Heath locked out, and then took advantage of him? He went next door to the neighbors, who were no help. They hadn’t seen Heath. Oh no… what have I done? I’ll never be able to forgive myself if something’s happened to him.

These thought racking his mind, Kyle got into his car and began searching for Heath.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, SUNDAY MORNING

Sunday morning saw Nathan visiting Brendon early on his way to the Pride Run. As President, Nathan would be giving a speech on behalf of the Los Angeles Outrunners. He hated leaving Brendon there at the hospital, but the doctors promised that if Brendon worked hard with his rehabilitation this week, he should be ready for discharging next week. Brendon hasn’t seemed himself since yesterday, thought Nathan. It must be about Justin. He’s finally awakened but has yet to say a word to anyone as far as Brendon and I know.

Nathan (to Brendon): I’ll be back just as soon as I can. (kissing him) I love you.

Brendon: Love you, too. Give everyone my regards.

Nathan left, and after a few minutes, the nurse came inside to tell him that Justin had asked for him. He asked for me! The nurse assisted Brendon out the room—although he felt he was capable of moving himself just as he had done yesterday when he encountered Callum. Callum! What exactly does he know? Or thinks he knows? He said something to me yesterday that had alarmed me at first, but then I got overwhelmed, and I can’t remember what it is. Damn it… hopefully, it’ll come back to mind.

He found Justin in the hospital bed, reading what appeared to be books. How studious of my boy! And to think Nathan claimed he was a truant student.

Brendon (wheeling himself up to Justin’s bedside): How are you feeling?

Justin (putting book aside): I’m feeling fine, given the circumstances.

Brendon: Look, we don’t have to talk about that right now.

Justin: Where’s Nathan?

Brendon: Oh, he just left to make a speech. Do you want to see him? I can get him before—

Justin (emphatically): NO!

Brendon (sensing tension): Okay, Justin, I won’t call him. I guess there may be some truth to what he said.

Justin (angrily): And what was that?

Brendon: That there’s friction between you two.

Justin: Is that how he’s phrasing it?

Brendon: Justin, I love Nathan. (long pause) He told me you two argued the night you ran away. If he said something that made you feel unwanted, I’m sure he didn’t mean it. Look, I want this matter settled. Nathan is part of this family, and he’s not going anywhere.

Justin: You plan on staying with him after everything he’s done?

Brendon: He and I will eventually get married. As I said, he’s part of—

Justin (cutting him off): This sham of a family!

Brendon: Justin, calm down. I know you’ve been through a lot, losing your mother and then the whole mess with me being attacked and in a coma for several weeks. But you know I’m here for you… and so is Nate.

Justin: I don’t ever want to see Nate again, Uncle Brendon! (suddenly bursting into tears) You don’t know the whole story.

Brendon (very concerned): What’s wrong? What don’t I know?

Despite his precarious state and the fear of a relapse, Allison had told Brendon about all of Callum’s machinations while he had been in his coma, and that had failed to send him into relapse. Drake had earlier told him about Callum being in this very room yesterday. That had almost sent him into relapse out of fear that Callum had done something malicious to Justin as he was helpless in bed. However, he was just told something by his son that definitely placed him on the brink of certain relapse.

Justin (tears flowing over cheeks, his hands over his face, speaking through choked sobs): That Nathan inappropriately touched me and forced himself on me the night I ran away.

TO BE CONTINUED…



No comments: