Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 15: “Gone Baby Gone”

The ethereal voice of Elisabeth Fraser on Craig Armstrong’s “This Love” opens this episode as Lord Gavin Armitage lights the final candle in his darkened bedroom before going over to the bed on which lay his lover Callum Sutcliffe, his head softly cushioned against a red satin pillow. Gavin bent down and kissed his sweet, tender lips in hopes of igniting his passionate drive. Callum’s hands shot forth to Gavin’s shirt, seductively reaching for the buttons, and slowly twisting them until the garment loosely fell over Gavin’s shoulder to reveal the magnificent musculature of his upper body.

Taking a deep breath, Callum looked up into the eyes of his publisher, the man who had given him the start of his illustrious career, the gentleman who had wooed him for the past several months, and the nobleman who desired for him to become part of his grand world. Gavin could sense Callum’s hesitance and thus was the one whose hands went to cradle Callum’s face before leaning in for the kiss. When their lips parted, he felt Callum’s head rest softly on his shoulder for a brief moment before Callum’s mouth began exploring his neck.

Gavin: Are you sure you want to go through with this?

Callum: Why do you ask?

Gavin: You just seem very shy about this. I’ve told you this won’t change anything between us, although you know how I really feel about you.

Callum: Yes, I’ve known ever since you read some of my writing samples.

It was then that Gavin’s strong hands grasped Callum’s torso and pinned him further down to the bed, his mouth overpoweringly kissing the younger man with a feverish passion. He could feel the rigidity of Callum’s body, at first resistant to his control but soon softening to his amorous sway. His hands pulled the shirt over Callum’s head to see the silken skin of his youthful body before he went back to titillating him with his mouth and tongue, the nipples the first target of Gavin’s ardent mission. He heard Callum begin to moan as his mouth roamed over all exposed parts of his body, especially when Gavin’s nimble tongue sought temporary refuge in many pleasure spots which would be revisited several times over again and again—most notably the navel region and the happy trail below it.

His hands then deftly went to work pulling off Callum’s trousers, the warmth of his touch still melting away Callum’s nervous reserve. It was when his mouth finally reached the erogenous zone that Gavin knew he had finally accomplished his goal. He drew on Callum’s burgeoning hardness, wetting it with his moist hunger and pulling on it with his own avid lips. He delighted in granting Callum pleasure, this mature, wise-beyond-his-years bloke whom he had seen rise from being an incredibly gifted student at Oxford to become one of the country’s most vibrant authors and the cash cow for his family’s publishing empire. I know it may be wrong to mix business with pleasure, but I really feel something special with him. His spirited personality and spitfire wit are just incomparable! I’ve never felt this way about someone in a long time and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Gavin: I love you, Callum.

Should I have said that? Aside from his hesitance at speaking his mind, Gavin continued to orally gratify the man with whom he fallen in love, having raised Callum’s bottom and his mouth now seeking to drive Callum into the wildest throes of passion. He had parted the buttocks and partook in the treasure of intimately pleasing him, feeling his body begin to writhe uncontrollably as his tongue continued to sweep over Callum’s most sensitive area. It was then that he heard the words part from his soon-to-be lover’s lips.

Callum: I love you, too.

Months of “courting” had finally paid off with this brilliant acknowledgement. The romantic punting on the river, that weekend spent together in the Lake District, the nights spent at his penthouse before the fireplace as he and Callum worked through his latest manuscript… all seemed pale in comparison to this moment of sheer bliss. He sensed this was Callum’s first experience with a real man, based upon the flushes of youth that complemented the boy’s reaction to his lovemaking, the moans and hesitant gestures that only one of virginal status would make. Gavin then felt his supposition confirmed when he next ventured to fully enter Callum , instantly met with Callum’s hands as they shot out to prevent him from going all the way.

Gavin (softly-spoken): I promise I won’t hurt you… (kissing him tenderly) I’ll be gentle.

Callum: I don’t know about this…

It was with another of Gavin’s effectively persuasive kisses that Callum’s uncertainty had been soothed, and he surrendered himself entirely. Lying on his back, he felt at comfort, looking at Gavin’s striking physique as he worked at entering him. Callum tried to compose his frantic mind. Just calm down… breathe in… breathe out… this is such a magical moment! I can handle this… I’ve known him for some years now… this is just an elevation in our ongoing relationship. He’ll be good to me. I really love him… he’s so fit, so amazing… so great for me… and he promised me he would be tender with me… owww!

Gavin had successfully made it past that threshold, the tightness of Callum’s virginal passage reflected in both the expression of pleasure that immediately crossed Gavin’s face and the look of mild pain that instantly graced Callum’s countenance. Gavin without delay bent down to kiss him, hoping that the softness of the touch would ease away any lingering remnants of pain that had afflicted Callum. He remained inside himself for a moment, their eyes locked, Callum’s doe-eyed while Gavin’s burned with the determination to carry on…

Gavin: Do you want me to stop? I don’t want to hurt you.

Callum (tears welling in his eyes): No, I want to do this.

Gavin (wiping away tears with his thumb): Don’t cry. (kissing him again) I’ll take good care of you.

Gavin then mildly upped the tempo as he moved his hips ever so gently, furthering entering Callum. He felt little resistance and proceeded to passionately unite his body with Callum’s all the time kissing on the young man’s neck as he had his head tilted to the side. In that particular position, he could not see that Callum’s crying had continued, punctuated by his muffled whimpers. Neither did Gavin see the way Callum’s hands clutched at the bed sheets, the grip threatening to rip them. It was only when those same hands had seized upon his flesh, the nails driving into it, that Gavin soon realized that his passion had been too overwhelming for Callum, but by that point, he achieved the orgasm that had eluded him ever since he had been enamored with the young man several years back. He had then foolishly mistaken Callum’s final cry of pain for the boy’s climax.

It was then that Callum awoke from the dream that had taken possession of him. Cold sweat cloaked his body like a second skin. He reached for something to dry himself when the phone suddenly rang. Answering it, he was greeted with the voice of Nathan Moynihan, calling him to wish him a good morning and to offer an apology for his curt behavior last night in the hospital when he had pushed him out Brendon’s hospital room. How ironic to dream of one lover and to be in contact with the other mere seconds later! I must remain in Nathan’s good graces no matter the cost!

Callum: Oh, Nathan, I know you didn’t mean it. You were only looking out for Brendon. (pause) How is he by the way?

Nathan: He’s fine. I just left him at the hospital. I’m on my way to the Pride Run location right now. I just hope that the volunteers are already there. So much stuff has to be done.

Callum: Well, I’ll be there soon. You can count on me for any help. I had a great idea I wanted to run by you about having a volunteer appreciation party at the beach next week.

Nathan: That sounds like a great idea.

Callum: I’ll fund it myself.

Nathan: That’s awfully kind of you.

Callum: It’s the least I can do. As president of Outrunners, you have been most welcoming of me, and I really wish to express my gratitude. Now I just need to get the word out.

Nathan: I’ll make the announcement today before the Pride Run.

Callum: Oh, that would be great.

Nathan: Well, I’ve just arrived here. I’ll see you soon.

Callum: Yes, you will. Bye!

Terminating the call, Callum fell back onto the bed, unmindful of the sogginess of the sheets, triggered by the disturbing reminder of the past love of his life. Now his mind was lasciviously thinking that these same sheets would be in a similar state after he and Nathan had their first wild romp.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, JUSTIN ROBERTS’ ROOM, SUNDAY MORNING

Brendon: Do you mean sexually?

Justin: He sure as hell wasn’t trying to force a hug on me. (pause) What was I supposed to do? He’s much stronger than me.

Brendon: Why didn’t you tell somebody?

Justin: Who would believe me over him?

Brendon: Are you sure of what happened? That you didn’t imagine—

Justin: What the hell? My own uncle doesn’t believe me. (tears flowing now)

Brendon: Justin, it’s just that I know you’ve been through a lot this past month. I just want you to be sure of what you’re saying.

Justin: Did he tell you what happened, Uncle Brendon? (pause) What has he said about me?

Brendon (interlacing his hands with Justin’s): Don’t you worry yourself with that.

Justin: He never liked me from the start. I bet he was praying that I died in the crash.

Brendon: Don’t say such a thing! Nathan is a very decent man and wouldn’t wish harm upon anyone.

Justin: Was it decent of him to try and molest me?

Brendon: Justin, I just can’t believe…

Justin: So Nathan gets away with it. My word against his… you believe him over your own flesh and blood. (pause) Go ahead and believe in him. I’m sure he’ll disappoint you eventually. He’s a completely different person when you’re not around.

The last phrase conjured up images of Nathan’s infidelity with Callum and that awful kiss of betrayal. Was it possible that Justin was speaking the truth? Have I been wrong about Nathan all this time? He did keep the news of Justin’s disappearance from me, not to mention he’s been adamantly preaching about Justin’s shortcomings. Was he already trying to build a case against Justin by denigrating his character? I have to know more!

Brendon: Where have you been this entire time? Everyone’s been worried sick over you. Why didn’t you go to the police? Kyle would surely have helped you.

Justin (shouting): For the last time, I had to stay hidden since no one here would believe that Nathan tried to molest me.

The beginning of Justin’s exclamation coincided with the opening of the door as Austin Monroe walked into the room, holding some flowers and gifts.

Austin (having heard more than enough): I-I think that I’ll come back later (placing the gifts and flowers on the nearest chair). Sorry for the interruption. (making a speedy exit)

Brendon: Calm down, son. (quickly noting his error) I can see this has you very agitated. I’m going to talk to Nathan about this.

Justin: He’ll just lie about it. (tears starting to well once more in his eyes) You do believe me, Uncle Brendon? (crying now) I wish Mom were here. I want to go home. I want my mom.

Brendon moved over and attempted to hold his crying son in his arms. I know it hurts. You may not have your mother, but you sure as hell have your father here. And I’m not going anywhere! I promise I’m going to this right.

Brendon: Yes, Justin, I believe you.

MEANWHILE IN WEST HOLLYWOOD…

Kyle had phoned all Outrunners he knew, asking them if they had seen Heath. Most had gone straight to voicemail. It was the day of the Pride Run so most of them were at the venue, getting ready for the starting point of the race. Where was Heath? Where had he slept last night? Kyle next phoned the firefighting squad to see if Heath had stayed the night with them. Getting the awful response that Heath hadn’t been seen, Kyle began once more to think the unthinkable. He was a bit upset, and he can be such a fragile soul. But would he do such a thing? Oh, God, please don’t let that be the case!

He had driven over most of West Hollywood, and ironically was passing the apartment complex where Tristan Bersani lived. Of all members on the Outrunners roster that he had rang, Tristan had been characteristically left off. But maybe he knows where Heath is. Oh, God, just let him be safe wherever he is. I hope I haven’t driven him to do anything desperate

As Kyle ponders these thoughts outside Tristan’s door, OneRepublic’s “Apologize” begins playing. After two harsh pounds against the door, it was answered by the one other person he didn’t wish to see.

Vittoria: What the fuck do you want this early in the morning?

Kyle: I haven’t time for your shit, Vittoria. Is Tristan here?

Vittoria: Yeah, what do you want with him?

Kyle: I need to ask him if he’s seen Heath.

Vittoria: Who? (pause) Are you talking about the blond guy?

Kyle: Yes, have you seen him?

Vittoria (detecting the desperation in Kyle’s voice): What if I have?

Kyle: Stop playing games. Where did you see him?

Vittoria (pausing for dramatic effect): I didn’t see him. (seeing Kyle grow angry and turn to walk away, catching him just before he’s out of earshot) but I did hear him.

Kyle (turning around): What? Where?

Vittoria: In Tristan’s bedroom. I think Tristan must have fucked the shit out of him since I didn’t get one wink of sleep last night.

Kyle (visibly choking on the news): H-Heath stayed the night?

Vittoria: Yeah, they never left the bedroom. Anything else you want to know?

Kyle: No thanks.

Kyle scurried away, oblivious of his direction, eventually coming out into the courtyard where his eyes took in the sight of Heath and Tristan playing near the pool. Tristan had just pushed Heath into the water, the sounds mutual laughter an immediate successor to the action.

Well, Heath, it looks like you’re happy. You’ve moved on already… back to him. Goodbye. These farewell thoughts having run their course through Kyle’s mind, he turned to leave and as if the cosmos had planned it, Heath looked up at precisely that second to see his would-be husband solemnly departing, the permanence of disappointment written in his body language.

SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD, PRIDE WEEKEND FESTIVAL, WEST HOLLYWOOD

The Pride Run was in full swing when Callum arrived in West Hollywood, the energy vibrant in the air. The volunteers were boisterously assisting the runners, many of whom already had their numbered placards on their bodies. Callum had chosen to bring little Edward with him as he had read that it was a family-friendly event, and they even had a children’s race—which Edward would naturally not participate in until he was of suitable age. Callum then saw Nathan near the stage, and he pushed the pram over in that direction, Nathan’s face lighting up when he saw Edward.

Nathan (bending over to look at him): How you doing, Little Guy? He looks healthy. That’s a killer smile he has. Soon you’ll be beating back all the girls at the doorstep, Callum.

Callum: Yeah, it’s hard to imagine how he was several days ago. I thank God for your support, Nathan, through all that.

Nathan: It’s no problem. (pause) I know you’re most likely the wrong person to ask, but have you seen Allison this morning? It’s about time for the Exec Board to make announcements. I wanted all of us to stand on stage together.

Callum: I haven’t the faintest clue where Allison could be… (sotto voce) although hell would be a safe bet.

Nathan: Chloe was burning up my phone yesterday, hoping to track her down. Anyway, I’ll be sure to make the announcement about the beach party for the all the volunteers. Thanks again for offering your support.

Nathan turned and disappeared into the ever-increasing crowd. Callum was about to follow him when Drake confronted him.

Drake: What were you doing with Nathan? I saw you in Justin’s room yesterday. I told Brendon about it.

Callum: So you’re the reason why he came after me guns blazing.

Drake: I knew you had something to do with Justin’s disappearance. Thanks to your influence that morning, I had started to doubt myself when I had seen him in your pool, but now I know it was him that I saw. How else could he have got such easy access to steal your car and money?

Callum: I reckon you would know a thing or two about stealing since you and Dr. Ashland visited my home with the intention of stealing from me.

Drake (vehemently): That’s a lie!

Callum: I guess that settles it. We’re both accused of actions which neither of us have done.

Drake (moving in closer to Callum): Except you’re guilty as sin. I’m going to Kyle with this information.

Callum: Exactly how did the good doctor persuade you to go along with his plan? You must have opened up to his wily persuasions after he thoroughly examined your credentials from top to bottom.

Drake (pushing his hands into Callum’s chest, knocking him back a few feet): It was not like that! How dare you imply anything happened between us!

Callum (recomposing himself): Oh, wow, you are a Bostonian spitfire, Drake. Didn’t know you had it in you!

At that moment, a pair of powerful hands latched onto Drake’s shoulders, spun him around, and slammed hard into his chest, knocking him off balance. Right before his bottom hit the ground, his eyes took in the sight of a hunky, well-chiseled frame of a Latin Adonis whose face was blindly contorted with the expression of anger.

Callum: Rodrigo, what are you doing here?

Rodrigo (to Drake): Now you know how it feels to be pushed around. (to Callum) I came here to run in the race.

Drake (rising from the ground, wiping dirt off himself): Who the hell are you?

Austin (rushing over): Is everything all right? I just saw this guy attack you. (to Rodrigo) Who the hell do you think you are?

Rodrigo: I’m his biggest—

Callum (cutting him off): This is Rodrigo, my new bodyguard. He was just coming to my defense. Drake initiated the spat.

Austin: Bodyguard?

Callum: Well, after the two attacks in the park and when Allison assaulted me, I felt I should invest in my own personal safety.

Austin: Well, tell your henchman to back off. Today’s not the day for violence.

Callum: How noble of you to stick up for your man. He really doesn’t deserve you, Austin.

Two separate events occurred at precisely that moment to prevent Austin from making a suitable rebuttal: Edward began crying in the pram, diverting Callum’s attention away from his would-be debate opponent, and Nathan’s voice boomed through the loudspeaker across the venue as he welcomed everyone to the Pride Run in West Hollywood. Callum cradled the baby and attempted to quiet him as Nathan prattled on about the merits of the GLBT community and championing the causes of the club’s beneficiary, a private performing arts center that catered primarily to gay and lesbian youth. He then thanked all the volunteers and then announced the upcoming volunteers’ appreciation beach party.

It was then that Nathan received the urgent phone call from Brendon, demanding he drop everything and return to the hospital at once. He got no further details but figured it had to be about Justin aside from the tone of his voice, Brendon had seemed well earlier that day. Nathan hurriedly left after asking Drake if he would cover the closing remarks for him and pass out the medals to the winners.

Rodrigo left to finish his late registration for the run while Callum placed the baby back into the pram as he saw Nathan rush away. Where is he off to? Was it possible that a relapse had rendered Brendon out of the picture for good? If not, it’s really time to handle that thorn. Callum then dialed both Vittoria’s and Tristan’s phones and received their respective voicemail greetings. It was then that Callum saw Bralen Jones all by himself and approached him, pushing the pram.

Callum (to Bralen): Have you seen Tristano?

Bralen: And good morning to you, too, Callum! (pause) I haven’t seen him since around this time yesterday.

Callum: He’s literally giving your ass a break? You do know what that means? He’s moved onto another easy target.

Bralen: Why are you so bitter? Tristan and I are taking a break so that I may focus more on my training.

Austin (coming up behind them): Training, eh? How many hours of real training do you put in per day?

Bralen: I’m not sure I understand, but it’s anywhere between six to eight hours. Anyway, I had better get ready. See you at the finish line!

Austin (to Callum): I guess you’re not running today (gesturing toward Edward). Despite our differences, I thought it very generous of you to offer to cover the Volunteers’ Appreciation Beach Party.

Callum: Well, thanks for your compliment.

Austin: But let me just be clear with you. If you or your henchman say or do anything harmful to Drake, I’ll personally break out my old pair of brass knuckles? Capiche?

Callum: Austin, let me myself clear now. I don’t respond too well to threats, especially from a third-tier businessman such as you.

The Pride Run race was to start in five minutes, and Austin had to take his position with the rest of the runners. Once the official race began, Austin didn’t think once of Callum but remained focused on getting a personal record but he soon found disappointment as Bralen shot past him to eventually take home first place honors. The news of Bralen’s victory was however overshadowed by a catastrophe that would send the whole day into a tailspin.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, BRENDON ROBERTS’ ROOM

The coldness of the silence between Brendon and Nathan had pervaded the room. It had been a full minute—which now felt like an eternity—since Brendon had told Nathan what he just learned earlier that morning.

Brendon: Well, have you anything to say?

Nathan: I can’t believe that you’re taking his word. This is such bullshit, and you know it. He’s lying through his teeth!

Brendon: Is he? You haven’t been exactly honest with me regarding other things these past few days… no make that weeks.

Nathan: Don’t turn this back onto me. This is about Justin and his concocting some heinous lie. I didn’t know he was capable of such hate.

Brendon: I didn’t know you were capable of this. Is that why didn’t want to tell me he had run away? Because then you would have to explain the sordid truth.

Nathan: Here’s the truth! Justin is a very disturbed, young man who’s doing this to get back at me for trying to maintain some sort of order in our home.

Brendon: You claimed to have argued with him the night he ran away. Was that before or after you—

Nathan: What? You can’t even bring yourself to repeat it. You know deep down he’s lying about this.

Brendon: I honestly don’t know what to believe. You’re not the man I fell in love with. He wouldn’t lie to me about his affair with Callum, and he certainly would never do such a thing to an innocent child.

Nathan: Are you listening to yourself? I’m starting to think the accident did more to your brain than what was thought initially. (moving toward the door)

Brendon: Where are you going?

Nathan: To see Justin!

Brendon (caustically): You’re not going anywhere near my son!

Nathan (flippantly): So he’s officially your son now? Have you told him yet? (pause) You know what I think this is? You want to believe this lie so desperately so that you can play the protective father and make up for not being a part of his life from the start. Well, guess what, Brendon? It’s too late! The sooner you come to that realization, the better off we’ll be.

Brendon: I’m not losing him again, Nate.

Nathan (emphatically throwing his hands up): Lost him? You gave him away! If there’s anyone he should be mad at, it’s you!

Brendon: Are you still mad at me, Nathan, for not telling you any sooner about him? I thought you had accepted him as a part of my life, but now I’m not so sure. (pause) So was this your way of taking your anger out on me… through my son?

Nathan: Oh, my God, he’s got you completely fooled.

Brendon: He was crying, Nathan.

Nathan: Then they were crocodile tears… and that might be insulting to crocodiles.

Brendon: How could you?

Nathan: How could I what? Continue to be a loving partner to someone who clearly doesn’t trust me? I sat by your side when you were at death’s door and prayed for your safe return. And this is how I’m rewarded? You don’t believe a word I’m saying about either this or about Callum. Had I known you were going to betray me in the worst possible way—actually thinking I would do such a thing to your own child—you know what… maybe I’m better off alone!

Brendon: What are you saying, Nathan?

Nathan: I can’t be in a relationship without trust, Brendon. I think we may be at the end of our rope. (moving to the door) I still love you with all my heart, but I can’t be with you. (goes out the door)

Brendon then covered his face with his hands and cried his eyes out.

SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD, PRIDE WEEKEND FESTIVAL, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Edward had been missing for nearly an hour. The police had been immediately notified, and the festival soon took on an entirely different mood—anything but festive. The race had already ended, Bralen taking top honors and Drake placing the suspended medal around his neck—all the time watching his partner Austin seething with rage as he had come In second place. Callum was feeling a mixture of emotions, mainly distress and disbelief at the tragedy that had befallen him.

Callum (to police officers): I don’t care if you have to shut down this bloody festival. I need you to find my son!

Officer: When was the last time you saw him?

Callum (shouting): I’ve already told this to the other officer. Edward was in the pram the entire time. I was standing along the sidelines, watching the runners when I must have turned away for a split second. I’m assuming he was taken during all the hoopla over Bralen Jones’ record victory across the finish line,

Officer: Mr. Sutcliffe, we’re doing everything to get you your son back.

Callum had been given the routine questioning as the news spread throughout those in attendance that there was possible child abduction. Totally panicked, Callum called home to see if Edward had mysteriously materialized there, but received the news he had known in his heart: the child was not at his estate. The local news crews were present to interview Bralen, covering more information on him and his course to Beijing. He would have his media spotlight soon overshadowed with news of the kidnapping.

Callum (aloud to heavens): Oh, God, please let him be okay. (tears spilling over his cheeks) He’s the innocent one in all of this!

Peyton (coming up to him): It was suggested I come talk to you.

Callum: Just leave me alone! I don’t need any advice from a quack shrink—

Peyton (angrily): Fine then! I’m sure the baby would be better off wherever he is than with you!

Callum (reactively slapping him): You don’t—

Peyton: I deserved that. It was wrong of me to say it.

He hadn’t seen Callum cry since their therapy sessions back in London last year. It had been right after Callum had tragically lost his husband. Looking at him all shaken up, Peyton couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. He’s a heartless bastard, but that’s no excuse to hit him when he’s down, even though I know he would do it to me. Peyton reached out and grasped one of Callum’s hands.

Peyton: I’m here for you if need me.

Callum: There’s something I need to tell you, Peyton. It’s about Edward. (pause) I never intended to tell you but… but… (choking on emotion)

Peyton: What is it?

Callum: He’s your son. Edward is your child, not Gavin’s.

Peyton (laughing): Callum, now is not the time for joking. I know that humor can be a coping mechanism.

Callum: I’m not lying, Peyton.

Peyton: You must be! In case you were never taught the lesson of the birds and the bees, a baby is made when a man and a woman have sex, and well, the last time I was remotely intimate with a vagina was forty years ago when I came out of one.

Callum (eyes all red, but looking directly at Peyton): I’m ashamed of what I did, but you knew I wasn’t in my right mind when we had sex those two times.

Peyton: Am I missing something here? I’ve seen every part of your body, Callum, and there’s no way you’re hermaphroditic.

Callum: I stole your semen and had a surrogate—

Peyton (shouting as he cuts him off): You what!

Callum: I thought you were Gavin, and I had wanted his child so badly. At the time, I had read in the tabloids how the girlfriend of a footballer had taken semen from the condom and impregnated herself.

Peyton: So you thought you’d do the same with me. What the hell was wrong with you!

Callum: You tell me. You’re the doctor. You claimed that I was showing psychiatric symptoms of transference, that I was mapping my feelings for Gavin onto you.

Oh God, was it true? Peyton thought to himself. At that moment, Rodrigo rushed over, Peyton worried he would get assaulted again like last night.

Rodrigo: Mr. Sutcliffe, is he upsetting you? I saw him shouting at you.

Callum (wiping tears away): No, Rodrigo, everything’s fine. Dr. Ashland and I were coming to terms with each other. Why don’t you go and see if there’s any more news?

Rodrigo (departing): Okay.

Peyton: Who the hell is he? (brief pause) Never mind. I think I need a drink. I’ll be back.

Callum (grasping his hand before he leaves): I needn’t tell you that this remains confidential between us.

Peyton stared at him, jerked his arm away, and rushed off in search of any establishment that sold alcoholic beverages. Callum blew his nose and silently cried to himself, completely torn and angered with himself for endangering the life of Edward. He fell to the ground, placed his head in his hands and let his emotions have full range of his body. It was then that a familiar voice shook him from his grief.

The sounds of Glen Hansard’s “Falling Slowly” begin playing in the background of the scene.

Nathan: Callum, are you okay?

Callum (looking up into Nathan’s eyes): I-I’m a complete mess. (rising from the ground, immediately hugging him) Oh, Nathan, I don’t know what to do.

Nathan (the palm of his right hand cupping the back of Callum’s head): I’m here for you.

Callum (pulling away): Did something happen? You rushed away nearly two hours ago. Drake and Austin had to handle the awards and closing ceremony.

Nathan: Something did happen but I don’t want to talk about it. I came here to clear my head and be of assistance to the club, but I didn’t expect to run into this. The cops are everywhere. I just saw Jeremy Dodd, and he told me what had happened. I-I’m so sorry.

Callum: I’m so scared, Nathan.

Nathan: I’ll help you in any way I can.

The West Hollywood police came over to Callum, informing him that they were presently engaged in searching every restaurant, club, and shop along the Santa Monica Boulevard corridor of the festival. Godfrey had couriered several recent photos of Edward. For a split second, Callum felt that with these measures taken, Edward would be back in his custody within no time. Four hours passed with no breakthrough development. Nathan remained by his side the entire time. Everyone came by offering their support. It was around late afternoon that the police had finished their thorough search of the festival boulevard. It was the lead police officer who came to Callum with this news along with the one question that had eluded Callum’s mind.

Officer: Mr. Sutcliffe, have you received any phone calls asking for ransom?

Callum (astounded): What? You think—

Officer (cutting him off): Mr. Sutcliffe, you’re a very wealthy man to my understanding. Whoever took your son may call you soon, asking for money in exchange for his return.

Callum: I’ll pay anything.

Officer: If that does happen…

Callum listened to the details, all the while feeling Nathan’s firm hand upon his shoulder. It was his presence that had kept Callum to some extent sane throughout the whole ordeal. But ransom? Callum would fear answering his phone. He could barely walk. Nathan offered to take him home.

Three phone calls were placed over the next hour. The receipt of each would have great consequences.

AUSTIN MONROE AND DRAKE MICHENER’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Austin and Drake arrived home, the latter talking incessantly about how the day had started out well. Despite the tragedy that befell Pride Weekend, Drake was agog with wonder over Bralen’s performance.

Drake: You know Bralen told me afterwards that he far exceeded his own expectations today. I think he’s going to bring home gold for the U.S.

Austin (grunting): Yeah, I bet.

Drake (coming to him, wrapping his arms around Austin’s neck): What’s wrong? Is your mind still on Callum’s son? That’s really awful what happened. (kissing him) Or could it be that you’re a sore loser? I saw Bralen overtake you right at the end.

Austin (pulling away from Drake): I’m going to make us something to eat.

Instead of immediately going into the kitchen, he went to his study to secretly place a call.

HOLLYWOOD HOSPITAL, BRENDON ROBERTS’ ROOM

Brendon sat in the wheelchair in his hospital room. He had not heard from Nathan since their explosive encounter earlier that day. Is it really over between us? I know there’s only one person to blame for all this, and he’s going to pay dearly for it. Brendon picked up the photos that told of Nathan’s infidelity. He stared maliciously at Callum, his eyes hoping to burn a hole into him. He then wheeled over to the door and looked out it surreptitiously for any nurses who may come in. He withdrew his cell phone and placed a call.

SANTA MONICA BOULEVARD, PRIDE WEEKEND FESTIVAL, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Rodrigo Caldozar had watched as Nathan escorted Callum into his car, chivalrously opening the door for him and making certain he was safely inside the vehicle. Why is Callum so attracted to this guy? He’s been with him all day long, and he never seemed to have time for me… always sending me off on some foolish, dumb errand. I’m more than willing to be there for him. I’m sure Callum will need me more of my help as this plays out and I’ll make sure that nothing else goes wrong.

Rodrigo then withdrew his cell phone to place a call.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, MUCH LATER THAT NIGHT

Callum was a total wreck. Spending several hours in Nathan’s company ironically did little to ease his nerves. They had gone to the West Hollywood Police Station, held there for a considerable period of time. The ride from there to Hollycove Estates was a silent one, Callum wanting to reach over and feel Nathan’s hand along with his reassuring grip. His late husband Gavin had the ability to hold Callum’s hand while navigating the steering wheel with just the use of his right hand and his knee.

Nightfall had cast a dark blanket over the Hollywood Hills. Pulling into Callum’s driveway, Nathan offered to see him to the door, but Callum respectfully declined. Once inside, Godfrey approached him, offering consolatory words.

Callum: Make me the hardest drink you can!

Godfrey: Yes, Your Lordship.

Callum: I’ll be in the study. Please set it on my desk.

A few more hours elapsed as he drank himself into oblivion. He then stumbled his way upstairs to his private bedroom, withdrawing the key to the lock. He went into it and fell onto the cushioning of the four poster bed with the silken canopy. Oh, what a mess I’ve made of everything! I need you, Gavin. I don’t know what to do! He rose from the bed and journeyed across the floor to the secret room on the far left of the bedroom. He withdrew the key for that particular room and inserted it into the lock, and upon entering went over to the vanity and picked up the framed photo of his late husband Gavin, kissing it. His heart nearly stopped beating when he saw that there was a message left on his private phone line. Was this the fated ransom call?

He listened to the message, a pall of paralytic shock overtaking him. While the content of the message itself was unsettling, it was more so the voice that both chilled and haunted Callum’s heart, for he had not heard it in ages.

It was a voice from his past.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: