Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Victorious and the Relentless

Episode 21: “Breaking News”

Nelly Furtado’s “All Good Things (Come to an End)” opens this episode over the following montages:

Two stretchers on which two dead bodies lie—covered with sheets—are being carried outside Callum’s mansion as the homicide division of LAPD is officially working the crime scene. Godfrey is seen in the background, talking with an officer, and upstairs Talon cradles a shock-ridden Callum, his face still subjected to erratic fits of crying. Talon’s body language assumes a protective bearing as he leads Callum into the bedroom to lie him down.

Heath opens his eyes, sunbeams directly hitting his skin and illuminating his damaged body, blood and fluids still flowing over the curves of his recumbent figure. Pain shoots through every fiber of his being as he raises his head from the ground. Seeing no sign of his attackers, he starts to crawl away, his fingertips reaching out, securing themselves to the ground as he uses his remaining upper body strength to move himself forward an inch before collapsing, his head falling back to the ground, his eyes closing.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON, BERNIE’S PATISSERIE, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Drake took the last sip of his mimosa before setting the glass on the table. Austin sat across from him, enjoying the last of their late Sunday brunch. Usually Drake would make brunch at home, but Austin felt rather chipper and wanted to go out to celebrate. A smug grin had been pasted on his face the entire morning as he fumbled with his Blackberry.

Drake: Okay, out with it. What’s got you on cloud nine?

Austin: Tonight, we’ll be on cloud sixty-nine. I just got like ten more emails from Outrunners saying they are going to vote for me.

Drake: Wow, that’s great.

Austin: And I owe it all to Allison.

Drake: How’s that?

Austin: Well, that stunt she pulled yesterday at the beach with Callum really damaged her popularity.

Drake: That was some knockdown drag-out catfight. But do you think you should be winning at her expense? It’s not like she—

Austin (testily cutting him off): Drake, this club is widely riddled with scandal. You’ve got Nathan accused of child molestation, Bralen pumping himself full of steroids, Chloe throwing a fit over a baby that’s not even hers, and now Allison and Callum acting like junior high school kids on the playground.

But you also contributed to it, Austin, with your talk of seeing Chloe kissing another woman. I even heard you taking Callum’s side in that argument. I’m not sure I can go along with your tactics to win this campaign, but you’re my husband, and I promised to support you. I just pray you never learn of my indiscretions, for I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of your resentment.

Drake (sighing): Well, then, I guess you should be preparing your speech.

Austin: Yeah, I’ll be President Monroe once again.

Drake: Yeah, but only the intellectuals back in Boston and on the East Coast would understand the connection with your last name. How many Angelinos do you think know of any U.S. president prior to Reagan? Hell, most Californians wouldn’t even know their own governor’s name if he hadn’t been a big time movie star.

Austin: How many people can claim tracing their family lineage back to the fifth U.S. president? (his phone ringing): Excuse me, babe.

Drake: Don’t answer it. Damn it, Austin, we’re having brunch. (suddenly noticing Austin’s face expression dramatically change) What’s wrong?

Austin (putting phone down): There’s been an accident. Peyton’s dead.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES

Talon entered Callum’s bedroom, watching him quickly lie back on the bed. Even amid all the chaos, Callum’s mind had gone straight to the task of making the most of the situation. The police would definitely get both guns, and of more importance was the fact that Vittoria had touched the first gun after he had wiped off Peyton’s prints. She would rightfully get pinned with the crime once ballistics proved that it was the gun used to shoot Allison and Chloe. Prior to Talon’s entrance, Callum had been on the phone, arranging for Vittoria’s drugs and further incriminating evidence to be placed back into her apartment. Now either Chloe or Justin’s testimony of her dealing drugs would seal the case.

Talon: You really should be in hospital.

Callum (dexterously putting his cell phone under the pillow): I-I’m fine. It appears to be only a flesh wound in my arm. Besides, I don’t want to go to Hollywood Hospital. Have the police arrived?

Talon: Yes, they’re downstairs. I lied and told them you were sleeping. This whole ordeal has me shaken. I’m not used to these lenient gun laws. Did you know that nutter had two guns? Why on earth would she wish to harm you?

Callum: I don’t know. I-I just can’t believe he’s gone. (begins crying and Talon lies down on the bed to hold him)

Talon (kissing Callum’s forehead): I know what you mean. It seems like it was just minutes ago he was changing nappies on the beach. (pause) I guess Inga got a nice break from that chore. (sighing) Anyway, I need to finish my statement. Godfrey’s giving his right now. I’m sure they’ll be questioning you soon. (rising to leave but Callum grabs his arm) Don’t worry, Love. I’ll be back.

Callum: Thank you, Talon… for all you’ve done.

Talon: Just as soon as this mess is behind us, we’re going home to London. That baby nearly lost his father today, and I’m personally seeing to it that this doesn’t happen again. From henceforth, I’m your shadow. (starting to leave but turns around at the door) By the way, here’s your mobile. I picked it up before any of the coppers took it as evidence. (placing the phone on the stand by the bed) I also rang your mum and sis.

Callum: You what?

Talon: I calmed them down, although it was the second time in a year in which you nearly lost your life. I doubt your family’s fully recovered from almost losing you at sea.

Callum (softly spoken): Gavin. I need him. (breaking into tears)

Talon: Well, you have me now. (bending to kiss him) I’ll be back.

As soon as Talon leaves, Callum reaches for the cell underneath the pillow and calls Nathan’s number. Once he gets wind of what happened, he’ll want to come by and check on me. I can’t risk him running into Talon. That has to be prevented at all costs.

BRENDON AND NATHAN’S FIRST HOME, SILVER LAKE

Brendon grabbed the chair and smashed it against the windowpane, the glass fragments falling to the floor as he shouted at the top of his lungs, alerting his murderous son that he was being watched. Upon hearing Brendon’s protests amidst the shattering glass, Justin released Nathan’s head, assured that he was dead. There’s no way that Brendon can get to him in time. Now he’ll know what it feels like to… Suddenly, Justin heard someone calling both Nathan and Brendon’s names. He picked up the shovel and immediately bolted from the scene mere seconds before Allison entered the background. She had come to the front door, found it locked, and saw the note telling Nathan to come round back. She heard shouting, her eyes roving the area in search of its origin. She soon recognized the voice as Brendon’s.

Brendon: Rescue Nathan! He’s in the pool!

Allison (still searching for voice origin): What?

Then she saw Nathan’s body floating in the water. She screamed his name before diving into the pool, her arms and hands taking hold of him and pulling him to the surface, laying him on the concrete. She could tell he was unconscious and fearing the worst from the look of his skin quickly began administering CPR to him, her mouth firmly sealed upon his as she urgently sought to restore life to him, alternately breathing air into him and compressing his chest. After what seemed like an eternity, he coughed up water, a spout of it ejecting through his lips like a geyser. He turned onto his side, coughing erratically as more water spilled from his mouth.

Allison: My God, Nathan! Are you okay? (he raises his upper body and she instinctively hugs him and finds herself kissing his cheeks)

Nathan (still coughing): I-I’m okay. I don’t know what happened. (trying to rise from the ground)

Allison: Take it easy.

As she was looking intensely into his eyes, Brendon had managed to squeeze through the cellar transom, rushing over to them and falling on the ground beside Nathan. He took Nathan’s face into his hands and began kissing him. Allison moved back to allow for their reunion.

Brendon: Oh, Nathan, I thought I had lost you. I love you so much!

Nathan (being squeezed tightly by Brendon): Some reception I’m getting.

Brendon: You don’t know what that would have done to me had I lost you.

Allison: Where were you, Brendon? How did this happen? There’s a gash on the back of his head.

Brendon: I was locked in the cellar. I-I saw him trip, hit his head on the concrete edge, and fall into the water. Thank God you made it in time. (resumes kissing Nathan)

Allison: I think he should be taken to the hospital.

Nathan (pulling himself from Brendon): I’m fine. Really!

Brendon: I’ll take care of him, Allison. Thanks.

Allison awkwardly felt miffed by Brendon’s tone as if he didn’t want her there anymore in spite of the fact that she had just saved Nathan’s life. She was delighted to see the two of them seemingly back together. I guess sometimes it does take a near-disaster to make people see the error of their ways. She took it as her cue to leave, particularly when she saw Brendon cradling Nathan’s head, telling him how he was loved and how he had been wrong to ever doubt him.

Lifehouse’s “Take Me Away” begins playing in the background once Allison had left the backyard. Brendon grasped the bottom of Nathan’s wet shirt and drew it over his head, the water drops cascading over his well-defined torso now in plain view of the sunshine.

Brendon: I am so wrong I ever doubted you, Nathan. I love you and just want to be with you.

Nathan (still a bit disoriented): Thanks for finally seeing the light.

Oh, I’ve finally seen it. I know that Justin is behind everything. You were totally right about him. I never imagined he would try to get rid of you this way. Oh God, what have I done? He’s my son! Brendon’s thoughts were halted when Nathan’s wet hands grasped around his waist to uproot the shirt off him. They were both now bare-chested, hot having seen each other even this partially nude in several weeks. Their eyes locked in a moment of mutual longing. Brendon’s mouth went straight for Nathan’s neck like a vampire in thirst for the blood of a virgin maiden. Feeling the suction on him, Nathan finally surrendered to this burning desire and pushed Brendon onto the grass and crawled on top of him. It was then that each felt the other’s hardness, and their hands sought to liberate their lower bodies of any clothing, total nudity their ultimate goal. The sunlight fell beautifully onto their well-sculpted bodies as if they were posing for a photo shoot. Their kissing continued at a rapid pace before they realized it best to carry it inside the house.

It felt good to be back together, this long overdue reunion. Nathan filled Brendon’s void with loving affection, generated from weeks of absence. Brendon filled Nathan’s need for carnal gratification, nibbling and sucking on his neck before performing the same action on his nipples and lastly his throbbing erection. Nathan reacted hungrily to Brendon’s attention to each of these areas, capriciously pulling his mouth from whichever body part he was sucking to grant him a passionate kiss, his mouth seemingly yearning for a taste of the lips that were pleasuring every inch of him. Brendon enjoyed granting him this bliss and soon found himself pleased when Nathan reciprocated the gesture, the bristles of Nathan’s closely shaved beard managing to tickle his skin wherever his mouth was at work. Moans soon escaped Brendon’s lips, and his body shook wildly when he came. He immediately apologized to Nathan as the orgasm happened so soon, but they knew that it had been Brendon’s first since the accident several weeks ago so his body was in a highly sensitive state.

This did little to stop Nathan from eventually penetrating Brendon, who eagerly accepted him with much anticipation. Their physical connection at last felt complete, the missionary position allowing them to look into each other’s eyes with a flaming passion, their kissing complementing the heated drives Nathan made with his restored strength. Brendon’s second orgasm rendered him totally powerless to engage in a flip-flop .Their joyful union continued until they were exhausted, evidenced by the sheen of sweat that covered both their bodies. Both were so tired that neither bothered to answer their phones when a devastating message was delivered to all Outrunners.

HAWK EYE LEATHER BAR, WEST HOLLYWOOD

Bralen was going through his email inbox on his Blackberry when he came across the invitation for Tristan’s homecoming celebration at the Hawk Eye. Skanky choice, he thought, but it is coming from Heath, who most likely thought of this at the last minute. I should go and see if I can help with the setup, even though I can’t really bear to see the sight of Tristan. Kyle was right about one thing. Staying shut inside won’t make a difference as I’m eventually going to have to face everyone. It might as well be today. It’s just going to feel strange seeing Heath with Tristan, especially that I drunkenly kissed Kyle last night.

Bralen had just walked to the back of the building, coming across what he had thought to be some nameless vagrant, lying face down on the ground. The clothes on him were ripped to shreds, his buttocks in full view, his shirt entirely missing, and a rank stench emanated from him. Bralen nearly puked when he saw blood and what appeared to be runny pus or mucus. He stepped around the fallen figure and knocked on the backdoor entrance of the club, but when the man managed to turn himself on its back, Bralen stole a quick glance and let a small cry when he recognized who it was underneath the mop of black-dyed hair on the guy’s head. It was Heath!

Bralen (coming closer): Heath, is that you?

Heath: Br-Br—

Bralen: Oh my God!

He looked at him. Blood was pasted on his face, his lip badly cut, his cheeks dark red from what appeared beating. Bruises were all down his extremities, and specks of semen dotted his skin, slowly drying in the summer heat. In that full second of looking at Heath, Bralen knew what had happened. Pulling off his shirt, he covered Heath, and tried to help him up from the ground, but then thought better of it.

Bralen: I’m calling the police.

Heath (putting out his hand to stop him): No, don’t!

Bralen: Why? Heath, you’ve been attacked, and it looks like you’ve been—

Heath (imploringly): Don’t say it.

Bralen: Then I’m calling Kyle. The police need to be notified of this.

Heath (vehemently): I said no!

Bralen: Then what do you want me to do?

Heath: Just take me home before anyone gets here.

Bralen (hesitantly): I-I’ll bring my car around here.

After he left for his car, Heath sat there on the ground, his open sores aching and pulsating with pain. I can’t let this get out. What would Tristan think? He’d never want to be with me let alone ever make love to me. It seemed like an eternity before Bralen’s car pulled into the back parking lot, and he hopped out to help Heath inside. He’s so kind to me, especially after all the mess I’ve put him through. He doesn’t deserve it. But then Bralen asked a rather stupid question that irritated him.

Bralen: Where to?

Heath: I said home.

Bralen: Would that be to Kyle’s or Tristan’s?

He does make a good point. I should tell him Tristan’s since it’s nearby. The short ride over, Heath prayed no one would be home, and luckily his prayers were answered. Tristan had given him a key so they were able to easily get inside the apartment, Heath heading straight for the bathroom, his mission cut short once again by Bralen.

Bralen: Heath, what are you going to do?

Heath: I’m going to take a shower.

Bralen: No, you can’t do that. You need to be seen by a doctor! What about the evidence (hesitantly) on—on you right now.

Heath: I don’t care. I don’t want any reminder of what those creeps did to me. I just want it off me!

Bralen (urgently rushing to him): Please, let’s just call Kyle. He’ll know what to do.

Heath: For the last fucking time, Bralen, I said no. I’m not going to have my name in the news, especially with many homophobes thinking I probably deserved it.

Bralen: Don’t say that. No one deserves what you went through. I’m not going to push the issue any further, but what about the party? You want me to tell everyone it’s canceled?

Heath (nodding): Thanks. You don’t know how much that means—(suddenly breaking down, crying)

Bralen (moving to hold him): Oh, Heath…

Heath (harshly): Don’t touch me.

Bralen (backing away): I-I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to—

Heath: I’m sorry. I’m just a little on edge.

Bralen: D-Do you want me to stay with you at least until Tristan or Vittoria comes back?

Heath nodded before rushing into the bathroom. Bralen heard the water being turned on full force. Heath lost himself in the steam generated by the hot water that mildly scalded his skin. He didn’t really care about the pain but was steadfastly driven to wash their taint off his body. Grasping the bottle of body wash, he nearly broke the cap off in his attempt to pour the gel all over him before wrenching the shower brush from the caddy and harshly grazing every crevice of his body with the bristles. The scent of the gel did nothing to erase their rank smell from his consciousness. He fell to the shower floor, pulling his legs to his chest, oblivious to the water beating down upon the crown of his head. He finally released a loud wail that escaped through the bathroom door, reaching Bralen’s ears in the living room. Bralen couldn’t take it anymore. He rang up Kyle to tell him what had happened. The call went straight to his voicemail. Bralen gave a heavy sigh and sat down on the couch, dismayed and unsure of what to do. Suddenly, a loud blaring sound filled the apartment. Bralen rushed to the bathroom door in time to meet Heath as he came out, still looking awful in spite of his freshly cleansed body.

Bralen: What’s that sound?

Heath (nonchalantly): The fire alarm.

Bralen (urgently): Put something on. We should leave now.

Heath ambled into the bedroom, pulled a few articles of clothing from the wardrobe and scrambled his body into some of Tristan’s tight clothing. They both rushed outside the apartment. Not a minute had passed before two unidentified men came into the apartment to place drugs and a bloodied crowbar among the many cluttered items in Vittoria’s closet. It would be another ten minutes before all the tenants of the apartment complex would learn it had been a false alarm. It would then be another ten minutes before Bralen would get the breaking news that the Outrunners athletic club had just lost one of its own members.

KYLE’S HOME, WEST HOLLYWOOD, SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Kyle had finished daubing the tip of his bloodied toe with the cotton ball drenched in hydrogen peroxide. Had it been another inch or so, he would have lost it. The pain was manageable. Fortunately, it was only a grazed wound. He looked over to the corner, seeing Tristan huddled in it. He had given him one big punch to knock him out. The nerve of that bastard to attack me in my own home! I have the right to beat the shit out of him, but that would be police brutality. It was then that Kyle’s phone rang, the caller being the homicide division informing him to come to the crime site in the Hollywood Hills, as it partly involved one of his former suspects Vittoria Morelli. He couldn’t believe what he was told. When the call ended, he nudged Tristan back to consciousness to break the awful news to him that he had just lost two of his friends.

ESTRELLA’S HOME, BEVERLY HILLS, SUNDAY LATE AFTERNOON

Estrella put down her cup of tea when there was a knock at her door. Upon opening it, she was greeted by the stern face of Allison Trudeau. She instinctively shut the door, but Allison’s foot prevented the door from completely closing.

Estrella: Go away!

Allison: We need to talk.

Estrella: I’ve got nothing to say to you.

Allison (pushing herself into the house): Too bad. I’ve got a lot to say to you.

Estrella: Is this about Chloe?

Allison: You’re damn right it is!

Estrella (defensively putting up her hands): Look, it’s over between us.

Allison: How could you take advantage of her like that?

Estrella: She came to me.

Allison: And then you came onto her!

Estrella: That’s not how it went down.

Allison (gritting her teeth): Don’t lie to me, you bitch!

Estrella: How dare you talk to me that way in my own home!

Allison: How dare you come into mine, seducing Chloe like you did!

Estrella: Hey, I’m not a dyke!

Allison: You sure as hell fooled me.

Estrella: Look, I like men. (pause) No, I LOVE men, but you wouldn’t know anything about that.

Allison: You don’t know a damn thing about me.

Estrella: I know you can give a hard punch.

Allison: I barely touched you.

Estrella: I was referring to Callum Sutcliffe who you also attacked.

Allison: Ugh! You know him? Now wonder I don’t like you.

Estrella: I’m his attorney.

Allison: Well, that puts you between a rock and a hard place. His own lawyer is getting it on with his son’s kidnapper. (suddenly seeing a look of fright on Estrella’s face) I’d hate to be you if this comes to trial.

Estrella: W-What do you know?

Allison: I know everything, Estrella. (coming up to her) Chloe told me how you were “helping” her with the baby.

Estrella: I want you to leave now.

Allison (getting in her face): And I want you to stay the hell away from Chloe!

At that moment, almost eerily on a cosmic scale, both their cell phones rang. Estrella saw from the I.D. feature that it was Tristan. Allison saw on hers that it was Kyle. Both were essentially receiving the same devastating news with the slight difference being that Estrella’s message was about the fate of her client and Allison’s about that of her longstanding colleague.

CALLUM’S HOME, HOLLYCOVE ESTATES, LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Detective Jack Milton had arrived at Callum’s home several minutes after receiving the call about a homicide. Earlier that day, he had a gut feeling that something was definitely not right about the case. After having eaten crow about Dr. Trudeau, he revisited some of Detective Kyle Walgrove’s theories about Vittoria Morelli, and that coupled with her odd behavior when he had paid her that visit only solidified his suspicions about her. Yet the one notion that had puzzled him was her reference to Estrella Tartaro as her attorney—and she just happened to be Callum Sutcliffe’s attorney as well. All these thoughts had wandered through his mind, and he could never have imagined that one of the two dead bodies at Callum’s home was Vittoria Morelli. Callum was upstairs—presumably asleep—but there was an eyewitness who was more than willing to share his side of the story.

Milton: Now, Mr. Prescott, you said you and Dr. Ashland tried to wrench the gun away from her.

Talon: That’s right. I had heard loud voices, arguing, and I was coming onto the landing when I saw her shoot Callum. That was when Dr. Ashland and I attempted to get the gun from her.

Milton: And then it went off?

Talon: No, she bit at me (showing him the teeth marks in his skin) and pushed me away. Dr. Ashland continued to struggle for control of the gun. She lost her balance, and the gun went off.

Milton: So she fell down the stairs and Dr. Ashland was shot?

Talon: It’s as simple as that, Detective.

Milton (curtly): I’ll be the judge of this case’s simplicity, Mr. Prescott. Now since you seem to have all the answers, would you explain to me why Ms. Morelli came here with two guns?

Talon (puzzled): I haven’t any clue why she had two guns. She was apparently off her rocker.

Kyle (entering the scene): Well, it wouldn’t be the first time Vittoria allegedly attempted murder.

Milton (turning around): Oh, Detective Walgrove, you made it. Too bad you’re late.

Kyle: Traffic was awful, even with the sirens blaring. So what happened?

Milton: You can read the report when it’s done.

Kyle (angrily): Look, I just lost a good friend because you failed to follow up on my leads. I told you this woman was dangerous. I can bet my life she was the one who shot Allison.

Milton: Well, we’ll know more once ballistics works with the guns.

Talon: I hate to interrupt this little power play you two are having, but is that all you’ll be needing of—

Milton: Actually, Mr. Prescott, we need you to come down to the station for further questioning.

Kyle (intrusively): Where’s Callum?

Milton (looking at Kyle): I’m the one doing the interrogating, Detective Walgrove.

Talon: He’s upstairs, resting.

Kyle: We need to get a statement from him.

Talon: Couldn’t he do that another time?

Callum appears at the top of the stairs and then lethargically descends them, his arm wrapped in gauze. Talon rushes up the steps to wrap his arms around him.

Talon: What are you doing out of bed?

Callum: You heard the detectives. They need my statement.

Talon (whispering): Do you think that a good idea right now? They’ve been asking me some serious questions about this woman.

Callum (aloud): I have nothing to hide.

Milton: Ah, Mr. Sutcliffe, just the man I wanted to see.

Talon (interjecting): Detective, there’s nothing more he can tell you that I haven’t already.

Milton: I would appreciate it, Mr. Prescott, if you would let me do my job. Mr. Sutcliffe is involved in a homicide and needs to be questioned.

Talon (turning to Callum): Should I call—

Callum: I’ve already contacted my attorney, who’ll be at the station when we arrive.

Talon: I’m coming with you.

They all had gone outside the house, Kyle having done so earlier to place his call to Allison. It was when he was about to get into the car when he saw Tristan come onto the property and accost Callum.

Tristan (aggressively approaching him): You’re responsible for this, you bastard!

Callum (visibly shaken): Tristan, I swear I had nothing to do with this.

Tristan: That’s bullshit!

Callum: She came after me with the gun. (crying) She shot Peyton!

Tristan (balling his fists): You did this, you son-of-a-bitch!

Talon (stepping in): He’s telling the truth.

Kyle (coming up to them): Tristan, I think you should go. Besides, we need you to contact Vittoria’s next of kin.

Callum: I’m so sorry for this, Tristan. (voice cracking) I-I know how close you two were.

Tristan: She shouldn’t have been the one to die. You should’ve!

Talon (grabbing Tristan and starting to push him off the property): That’s it. I’ve heard enough from you.

Tristan: Take your hands off me! Who the fuck do you think you are?

Callum (grabbing Talon to pull him into the car): Come on. It’s only natural for him to react this way.

Talon got into the car with Callum, and they were driven off the estate, Callum staring out the window as Tristan continued to emotionally break down, hurling invectives at the car. Even though Callum couldn’t hear them, he could only imagine how hurtful they were.

ALLISON AND CHLOE’S HOME, LOS FELIZ

The Guillemots’ “Get Over it” plays over the final scenes of this episode.

Allison comes home to find Chloe packing her clothing. She walks over to her to tell her the bad news that Peyton is dead. Chloe immediately halts her packing and breaks down in Allison’s arms, her body quivering as tears fall from her eyes and loud cries escape her lips.

Brendon and Nathan lay side by side in the bed, Brendon’s chin resting comfortably on Nathan’s chest. They had just finished round three, and this moment of relaxation provided Brendon with a brief moment of reflection. He had reunited with Nathan and had yet to tell him the full truth of his innocence in Justin’s lie. They had got so caught up in the moment that nothing else mattered. Neither had answered their phones and were still in the dark about the tragedy to hit the club. Brendon had to deal with his internal struggle that not only did he know his son hated Nathan, but that he attempted to kill him. Brendon looked up at Nathan’s face to see that he had fallen asleep. I nearly lost you today, and I’ll be damned if I ever let it get to that point again. I just can’t believe my own son is an attempted murderer. I have to stop him before he goes too far. Brendon only needed to look up and out the window to see the pained face of Justin as he stared into the bedroom, looking at the joy on his father’s face in Nathan’s presence. Disappointed with his mission to get rid of Nathan, there came a malicious spark in Justin’s eyes. He’d rather be with that fag! I hate you, Nathan, and I hate you, too, Brendon.

Rodrigo posts a picture of Tristan onto a wall collage that had pictures of all the people that had been antagonistic to Callum. Tristan’s photo had a huge X drawn over it. There were images of Allison, Drake, and Austin among others. Mr. Sutcliffe will be so proud of me now that I took care of one of these guys. I’ll start to get more attention from him once that Nathan guy is handled. He then tacks a photo of Nathan onto his wall.

Talon escorts Callum into the bedroom, flipping on the light switch. It’s in the evening, and they have just returned from the police station.

Talon: Why didn’t you tell me you had retained Stuart Varady as your solicitor? I hadn’t known he was licensed here in California. Last I heard he left Oxford for Harvard Law.

Callum: It pays to have connections.

Talon (coming behind him to massage Callum’s shoulders): You should rest.

Callum (sitting on the bed): I feel so responsible for this. I-I just can’t believe that—

Talon: Look, you are not responsible for this. (pause) Why don’t I get us some tea? You lie down.

Callum (grabbing Talon’s hand): Talon, thank you so much for everything.

Talon: You know I would move heaven and earth to put you at ease. (hearing the phone suddenly ring on the bed stand) You should get that. I’ll be right back.

Callum: That’s not my—(coming over to the bed stand and picking up the phone)

By that point, Talon had left the room and didn’t hear the announcement that it wasn’t Callum’s phone. He had brought this to me earlier today, thinking it was mine. The model does look similar to mine. What the bloody hell!

Callum had picked up the phone and opened it, his breath cut short by the wallpaper image of Vittoria and Tristan together, smiling in front of the Colosseum in Rome. It was Vittoria’s phone! He sat down on the bed and cried, his grief overtaking him. The poor girl would never have happy times like that anymore… would never see her family and friends again. Tristan was right. I am to blame for this tragedy. I set all this into motion. I—

He was about to shut the phone when it received a text message. Callum drew in his breath as he read the identity of the sender. Brendon Roberts! He clicked to read the message, and then clicked to look at the full inbox, and then looked at the call log, and listened to the voicemail. In those few minutes, his grieving period came to an end. He had been provided with all the information he needed to know that Brendon and Vittoria were colluding against him. He could no longer feel sorry for Vittoria’s fate and the need to atone for it. The only thing he felt in that moment was the burning desire for revenge.

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments: